Folding boat

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Folding boat

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:00 am

For those facing limited space issues this folding boat may be the answer.

http://www.tucktech.com/#

Though it shows great ingenuity in the field of advanced origami I have my doubts about its seaworthiness. :thinking:
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby David Grason » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:14 am

Advanced Oragami. Very funny but very apropos too. :)

When I was a kid my dad bought a Folboat. Anyone remember those? It was in the same genre as this boat. But everytime we put it together, something got broken or tweaked and it never did work right. Finally my next door neighbor built a canvas over wood frame canoe and my brother and I just went and had fun with the neighbor. I wonder how this would withstand hard use?

Well, you're not going to believe this, but after I posted the above, I went and googled Folboat. They're still in business and they have a website. It's www.folbot.com I see some differences now.

I see they're now made of aluminum tubing and some composite materials where they used to be made of thin wooden sticks and canvas. I'm sure that the fact that they're still in business means that they've probably been building a very high quality product down throught the years. We probably just didn't know what we were doing. :R
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby JunkMan » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:18 am

I've got a Folbot, they are pretty good boats. Mine is a 17' tandam kayak, as sleek as a regular kayak, but they are good when you need a boat that can be transported easily. They are a lot bulkier than the boat above though.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:43 am

Hello all,
I've used all types of lightweight boats that I carry on a homemade rack built from bed rail angle iron, mounted to the TD. I don't go anywhere without it. I've found it to be very handy for a lot more than just carrying boats. I have used the folding boats from various manufacturers but found that a tough skin-on-frame or plywood kayak or light canoe work much better....IF you have a rack. For those who want a clean looking TD the the folding boats are ok for most recreational applications. But.......I'll stay with my own boats for fishing, photography and general lazing around a lake as we spent a lot of time with the Teardrop at lakes, rivers and the coast ...and we are waiting for nicer weather. Might have to head down south for a few weeks. Richard
Always take a boat or two!
Richard
Teardrop Inspector

MY TD and boats

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:46 am

Meant to say the boats are posted on the Hall of Fame under Rich and Chrissie's Tear.
Always take a boat or two!
Richard
Teardrop Inspector

Try this one

Postby Guy » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:40 pm

Try this one for a portable runabout http://porta-bote.com/index.html
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion