Sleeping Area

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Sleeping Area

Postby kartvines » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:11 pm

OK strange as it seems, I have concerns about sleeping space with in my restored Scad-A-Bout. Just cut the floor today, I will admit I was thinking it would be a whole 48 inches [ not that is very wide]. Tracing the floor from the old floor my total floor/ sleeping space will be 45.5 " X 104 3/4' [the total size of the floor board, I know that at least a couple of feet will be taken up by the galley] :? I am not as narrow as I was as a lad and sleeping on a California King water bed now and for the last 25 years, it seems like a awful narrow sleeping area for two mature adults. What is the average size in the standard teardrops, welcome everybodys feed back. :thinking:
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:14 pm

I think average used to be the width of a sheet of plywood, 48".. but full sized beds used to be average... many, like me, have gone to queen-sized tears... that makes the trailer 60 inches wide inside......

48 might be doable, as you can't fall off, but the walls can be cold.... I have a calif. king water bed also, but find queen in the tear is fine.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Chip » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:19 pm

bump out the sides to 54" inside and it will accept a standard double matterace,,although this is no way big as a queen the extra 8 to 10" sure mean a lot in terms of roll-over space. It gives a little more room without adding space and frontal area of air deflection that might not be required,, just a thought

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:28 pm

I think you're about right on the money for a "standard" teardrop trailer.
Our 4' wide tear, with insulation has a whopping 45" of width to sleep in.

It's pretty tight quarters for two, but I just remind myself that camping for me remains "roughing it" in regards to sleeping space.

One must take into account on a bed inside the house that size, you can at least stick a knee out over the edge of the bed.

For a little more room:

One remedy might be opening a door and hanging your knees out all night....just add a liberal amount of bug spray and hope some critter doesn't take to knawing on it during the night.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby tdhombre » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:29 am

Ours is a 48" wide that ended up 45" (or so). I am 6'2" and 240+ and my wife over 5'5" and at home we sleep in a California King. Camping in the teardrop takes a little adjusting but we manage really well.

However, there is a move that you quickly learn which is called the "Texas Line Dance". Very simply, it means that when one turns over, the other does the same. After a night or two, this move becomes almost automatic.

Enjoy.
;)
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

sleeping area

Postby kartvines » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:53 am

Thank you all. As I said being this is my first teardrop project, I recall everyone talking about a 4 foot wide tear, and never thought too much about it, so when my floor board ended up being smaller I got concerned.

I am sure that we will get use to it. I want to keep the scad-a-bout original so I will keep it to the 46 1/2 inch wide, my last attempted cut the floor to a mere 46 1/4 so I guess I will have to go out and buy another sheet of 4 X 10 plywood and try and get it right this time. If I enjoy making this one, :thumbsup: and likes the way it feels, maybe one day I will build a larger one. I will take one step at a time. :twisted:

Mike
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Return to General Discussion