Wrench in the works already...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wrench in the works already...

Postby DestinDave » Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:04 am

Well, what should have been Day 1 of my teardrop build didn't come to pass. The bonus check from work that was going to buy the HF trailer and the first load of materials got held up until Monday. I spent the day researching, thinking, and re-drafting ideas. I also worked on a "concept" drawing of a finished "The Salty Tear" parked in a wooded camp that I hope to use for an avatar when it's finished. Read "frustrated artist"...
I can either wait until next weekend to borrow a truck and pick up the HF trailer or order online and wait on shipping. Anyone know how long it would take to receive a trailer in the St Louis area?
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Hang in there

Postby Dee Bee » Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:23 am

Plan the work then work the plan!

It will happen.

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Doug » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:01 am

Dave, A week ago, Harbor Freight had 6 in stock. (This is the 4x8, 1175lb trailer). Online it is $219.99 but in store it is $279.99. Print out the page from the link below and they will match the price.

The day I was going to buy the trailer (last weekend) my wife asked me to hold up a little. I may try again on Tuesday and see what she says. They are opening a new store in Crestwood and I received a "Preferred Customer" flier (just because I'm signed up for their mailer) that includes another 10% off plus I just received a nice bonus at work. Although, I'm also planning on buying about $300 + worth of tools: Air Brad Nailer, Electric Trailer winch, Bench Drill Press, auto-darkening welding helmet, and a 10" compound slide miter saw and some misc stuff. Woohoo! New toys.

Anyway, here's the link: Harbor Freight 1175lb Trailer

Stay the course and you'll get there! If you have trouble borrowing a truck, I have a 5x8 trailer you are welcome to borrow if you have something to pull it with. Hey, that's to haul your HF trailer on, not build your TD on, lol. I'd just be a bit of a trip to pick up the trailer and return but it's yours if you need it.
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Doug » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:07 am

Oh, that was the HF in Florrisant.
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DestinDave » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:18 am

Doug - the Florissant store has 9 in stock and, yes, they will honor the sale price from the internet. Thanks for the offer but I have access to a truck and trailer - just not during the week when my brother-in-law has to work. Besides, another week's wait isn't going to kill me. Are you going to get your trailer from Florissant also? Let me know when you come over, we'll get together for lunch or something....
Reality? What a concept!
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Doug » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:22 am

Well, IF I get to but it this week (I'm making my wife sound bad here, not intended, there are good reasons we should wait on this project but I'm currently more excited about this than anything else I have going on, lol) I will probably buy Tuesday at the Grand Opening of the Crestwood store 'cause the flier included a 10% first purchase discount on top of sale prices in flier.
Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:29 am

If you wait 3 more weeks, Harbor freight will pay you to take the trailer off their hands.. :lol:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Doug » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:13 am

I can only hope !!!

Doug
Teardrop Advisor

Postby DestinDave » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:11 pm

A little inside info Jim ????? 8)
Reality? What a concept!
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby TonyCooper » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:21 pm

Doug wrote:Snip...
Snip...
Although, I'm also planning on buying about $300 + worth of tools: Air Brad Nailer, Electric Trailer winch, Bench Drill Press, auto-darkening welding helmet, and a 10" compound slide miter saw and some misc stuff. Woohoo! New toys.

It is interesting to study Harbor Freight's pricing structure...

I found that hand tools were almost always priced substantially lower then any competitor.

I found that table saws, radial saws, router tables etc, were almost always higher (even when on sale) then Home Depot or Lowes.

I purchased a Ryobi compound radial saw from Lowes or HD (can't remember which) which HF couldn't touch from a price / performance / feature standpoint. Same for portable table saw, smalltable saw was priced the same but Lowes/HD threw in the floor stand!

Interesting who controls what part of the market.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Return to General Discussion