A garage-able standup

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby angib » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:53 am

Kermit, here are your dimensions drawn out:

Would you please recheck this instruction:

Then keep this setting and move the point to 17,5 and draw an arc from the right side down to the bottom of your box.

That draws the lower red arc that barely cuts the bottom front corner. From your photos, I would think this arc should be centred on something like 17,13 which is drawn in magenta.

And are these dimensions scaled 1"=2.5" so that the final body is 100" long by 80" high?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby droid_ca » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:42 am

wow I think we might have a working plan here or at least a really good start Thanks Andrew
So does this meen now I have to build it
hahahahaha
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Kermit » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:47 am

Oops. Missing digit. It should have been 17,15 but 17,13 looks better to me. As to outside dimensions, I was shooting to come up with the approximate profile in 96" long by about 78" high. What I really set out to show was what I saw as a profile drawn with no elipses--all simple arcs of circles.

I may have the axle too far aft. Same with the door. Someone smarter than I'll ever be can tweak things. I just think this profile is pretty appealing and very simple to accomplish. It's kind of the traditional low teardrop stretched vertically to become a wee standie. At his width and with this profile, it needs a drop floor frame that's very short and relatively wide.

One of the great things about it being all arcs is that it would be very easy to cut out the profile accurately using a router attached to a long arm swung around those points with those radii.

Thanks for drawing it up. I hope some folks will build to a profile like this. I'm personally smitten with this particular little trailer. He did a beautiful job, didn't he?
Kermit
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:19 pm

Assuming the aluminum is 4' wide installed vertically, the seam of the aluminum at the aft end of the door would give a 4' distance to from the front flat area to the back of the door opening. I'm guessing the door is 2' wide - with a notched arc at the bottom to clear the fender/wheelwell - so the distance from the hinge side of the door to the front is 2'.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Kermit » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey, Tom! Your build journal has me convinced I could do this! Sure cleared up a lot of the mysteries of how it's done.

Mostly I was thinking Plywood is 4' wide. I'm a wood guy, not a metal man.

Droid! Build it! A standie is a lot more appealing at my age in my climate. I had a tired ol' Kenskill many years ago. I was a LOT younger then, and even then it only got 2-3 months of opportunity a year.

Angib, thanks for making it visible. I'm a pencil/paper guy. You made digital sense of my writings.

Eric's original back at the top has wheels/fenders outside the body. I like the look, but not all that width. I'm thinking a half-recessed wheel with a lip fender. Any good reason not to do something like that?
Kermit
Teardrop Builder

Postby bc toys » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:49 am

by my calc. each sq. is 4.5" if this helps. Showed wife this trailer she loved it :twisted: just thinking :lol: :lol:
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am

That reminds me a little of the WanderPup. Not in shape as much, but in size!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Kermit » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:40 am

More like 4.8 inches. Eight feet long is 96 inches, divided by Angib's "20 squares" length and you get 4.8 inches.

I created problems by drawing with my ruler and compass on decimal graph paper and using 5 squares to the foot. It was convenient for communicating how to draw up a profile close to what's in the photos. Angib's drawing is on a grid 20 squares by 16, and he's assigned each square a value of 2, so it's numbered 40 across the bottom. In order to use my coordinate numbers, each of his grid squares would have to be divided into 2 by 2, getting back to my graph paper grid 40 squares wide. Sorry if I complicated things.

Anyway, it should be 96" long by 76.8 inches high. So this profile is just shy of 6'5" tall! With a dropped floor of a couple or three inches, I should be able to stand inside, and I'm 6'4".
Kermit
Teardrop Builder

Re: A garage-able standup

Postby JuneBug » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 pm

It has been a few days over a year since the last post on this thread. Did anybody make one or successfully contact the builder who began the thread back in 2008?
Still the cutest little bitty standy trailer ever! I come back to this thread just to look at it.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:58 pm

that is exactly what I want for my next trailer.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Another two feet of length to make that a queen bed and a small closet, and that trailer is 100% perfect!

Glad this floated back to the top. I missed it the first time.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:39 am

Anyway, it should be 96" long by 76.8 inches high. So this profile is just shy of 6'5" tall! With a dropped floor of a couple or three inches, I should be able to stand inside, and I'm 6'4".

Hi Kermit,

Can you clarify a couple things please?

You say the trailer will be 76.5" high, right?
You are 76" high.
A dropped floor of two or three inches adds a little headroom for sure, but...

How much space is there between the body and the ground?
How thick in inches is the roof/ceiling, and the floor?

I've been working on a trailer that allows me to fit it under a 7' garage door (84")
I'm 6'-2" tall (74")
That leaves me 12 inches, but you need a little clearance not to rub, so say 11 inches.
So the trailer can only be 83" tall, total, from the top to the ground.
I need 74" for me.
The roof takes 2" then the floor takes another 2.5, leaving 4.5 inches. (74+2+2.5=78.5-83=4.5)
You'll need at least that much for clearance between the body and the ground, and in reality several inches more.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dano » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

I love this post. Its so fun to read.
Hey 48Rob, how about photos of the one your building?
Dano
[email protected]
Morgan Hill Ca.
dano
Donating Member

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:38 am

That is a sweet little camper. I did not see any thing as a post trip report. How did the wife like it.
Humm might be to late to ask that question. His page is down.

As for little standups, Here is the all time favorite.

Woodie Love Bug
http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-con ... -love-bug/
Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm

I love this post. Its so fun to read.
Hey 48Rob, how about photos of the one your building?
Dano

Hi Dano,

Took awhile to find the pictures...

I haven't done anything with it since April or so, most of our extra money has been going toward helping to raise our two grandchildren that live with us.
One day soon though, our daughter will land that job and be on her way with life...

Here are a few pictures;

It is a big trailer by teardrop standards (it is not a teardrop) the body is 14'

Though the main frame rail has not yet been cut out, it is/will be a drop frame trailer, with four different floor levels.

It will have a queen bed, a full bath, a full kitchen, 6' of 6'-2" tall floor space, and a desk for computer, writing, etc.

The air bags are part of a system to raise and lower the trailer for easy access, and to be able to fit it under a 7' garage door.

Rob

Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion