The more I See:

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

The more I See:

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:26 pm

Hey Mike,

The more I see of this board the more I like. I just noticed the web pages on the left of the members list. Easy to get to and it opens into another browser.

You did yourself proud.

Keep it up. Only been 2 days and already 11 members and lots of stuff going on at the same time.

Buford :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Re: Drop a hint?

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:39 pm

Would if I could Mike. I already sent out to all the e-mails I had but I can't post on that board anymore. Someone will. I'm sure. We would not have been able to see the beach trailer tear on that board.

Buford :twisted:
mikeschn wrote:You're right! There is a lot of stuff going on at the same time. Never a dull moment here! We need to get a few members from teardrop times over here. Would you guys drop a hint over there for me?

Thanks,

Mike...
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby M. Olsen » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:18 pm

So Buford were you permanently blocked from the other board or do you choose not to post there after the big flap over the Grasshopper issue? At any rate I am glad that this board is here so that we do have a place to discuss these other small trailers that are very neat in my opinion.

Have a great weekend.
Mike Olsen - Rexburg, ID :^)
M. Olsen
Teardrop Master

Postby BufordT » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:12 am

Mike,

Lets just say permanently blocked from the other board. There are some other post on this board about it also. From what I can gather I was the first. Guess there is a frist for everything.

Welcome aboard. Have you seen the tumbleweed trailers?

Bufordt :twisted:

M. Olsen wrote:So Buford were you permanently blocked from the other board or do you choose not to post there after the big flap over the Grasshopper issue? At any rate I am glad that this board is here so that we do have a place to discuss these other small trailers that are very neat in my opinion.

Have a great weekend.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:36 am

You know what I've noticed? There are not many discussions yet on building. You know, stuff like, what do you coat the frame with, what do you make your side walls out of, how can I bend plywood, how do I run electrical, or the big one, what's the matter with 12" wheels?

I wonder where those guys are? Or are we just waiting for a new generation of builders to find us? Maybe by the time they do, all that stuff will be in the archives. :santa:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:19 pm

"There are not many discussions yet on building. You know, stuff like, what do you coat the frame with, what do you make your side walls out of, how can I bend plywood, how do I run electrical, or the big one, what's the matter with 12" wheels?"

Mike, I have a question. I know how to build a Teardrop but I've never restored a teardrop before which I have to do to the one below. It's got a 1"square tube frame work inside and a 2"channel main frame. No interior walls or installation. Seems like that rats got to that part of the tear. What do I do about the floor (It's wedged between the two frames which are welded together)? It has to be replaced or should I just add a piece over the top of it. Should I use birch, oak or pine for the interior walls? And should I add installation. I guess maybe I don't need installation beings how I live in SoCal and it doesen't get cold.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but for now..........Oh, should I replace the 15" Dodge wheels with 12" HF wheels to get that new modern look?

Enjoy the rest of the week end, :lol:
Gage

T.I.J.A.J.S.D.G.U.T.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BufordT » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:48 pm

Gage,

Are you planning on taking the whole thing apart and then putting it back together or just fixing what needs to be fixed and adding interior walls and insulation as you go? This makes a big difference in your questions.

Bufordt :twisted:

Gage wrote:"There are not many discussions yet on building. You know, stuff like, what do you coat the frame with, what do you make your side walls out of, how can I bend plywood, how do I run electrical, or the big one, what's the matter with 12" wheels?"

Mike, I have a question. I know how to build a Teardrop but I've never restored a teardrop before which I have to do to the one below. It's got a 1"square tube frame work inside and a 2"channel main frame. No interior walls or installation. Seems like that rats got to that part of the tear. What do I do about the floor (It's wedged between the two frames which are welded together)? It has to be replaced or should I just add a piece over the top of it. Should I use birch, oak or pine for the interior walls? And should I add installation. I guess maybe I don't need installation beings how I live in SoCal and it doesen't get cold.

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but for now..........Oh, should I replace the 15" Dodge wheels with 12" HF wheels to get that new modern look?

Gage

T.I.J.A.J.S.D.G.U.T.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:05 pm

Gage, what you should do is sell that thing and buy decent, commercial manufactured teardrop thats been proudly built by Japeneze peoples..*g*. oh, and get the 8 inch super small wheels with hard tire..lasts forever.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:33 pm

"oh, and get the 8 inch super small wheels with hard tire..lasts forever." Hadn't thought about 8" with hard ruber. I was thinking maybe 10". Just happen to have a couple of Mini Cooper Wheels. Would have to find some hubs. Hmm, hard ruber, come to think of it, I wouldn't have to worry about flats. I could also put hydraulics on it. That way I can adjust the road height for pavement or off road. :lol:

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:03 pm

Hey Gage,

I know on your last project you got good with the saws-all. Cutting the top off of that "My Way Teardrop"!

It sounds like with this project you are going to get good with a grinder. You'll have to grind that frame apart to get to the rotted out parts.

Then as long as you are at it, why don't you redesign it so that you don't sandwich wood inbetween welded steel!!!

It still sounds like a do-able project, but the frame is going to take some time.

The other option is to save the body, and throw the frame away. Buy another "My way" project and use that frame for this project. What do you call this one anyways? My second way? :lol:

Mike...

P.S. Regarding the wheels, the wheel wells are large enough, I would go with the wooden spoke wheels with the steel band on the OD. Kinda like a Vardo wagon!

I'm sure I'll have many more questions, but for now..........Oh, should I replace the 15" Dodge wheels with 12" HF wheels to get that new modern look?[/i]

Gage

T.I.J.A.J.S.D.G.U.T.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:39 pm

"What do you call this one anyways? My second way? :lol: " Nope, I just call this one 'The Orphan'. Some guy up in Salinas was going to throw it away last year so I jumped right up there and brought it home and that's another story. I may try and design a moon roof for it beings how I just happen to have another one. 8) Either that or I'll stick it in my other 'Can Ham' that's in my back yard waiting for something to happen. I'm going to do a complete redesign on the interior of that one and lower it about 3 inches. But right now, I've got to stick with the Orphan. I'm going to let my sister use it and she's going to retire next year. So I can't be spending 2 1/2 years on it. 8) You can see more pictures of the Orphan at the below link.

http://www.gages-56.com/Orphan.html

Oh, so many projects and no time. It's hard being retired 8)
Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:56 pm

Hey Gage,

I reviewed your pictures of the Orphan. Then I called my wife over, and without telling her why, I said look at these pictures. She immediately said, you can NOT buy it. Even if it only costs $10, you can not buy it.

I'm telling you Gage, you have a majorly serious project there. Is there anyplace near you that has those big swimming pools filled with citri-strip? You could soak it in there for a few days, and then pull it through a carwash!

As soon as you mentioned your canned ham project in the backyard, Joseph immediately came to mind. You could sell that to Joseph, and then you wouldn't have too many projects and too little time! While you're at it you might want to give Joseph some rum for his captain! :lol:

Gage wrote: You can see more pictures of the Orphan at the below link.

http://www.gages-56.com/Orphan.html

Oh, so many projects and no time. It's hard being retired 8)
Have a good day,
Gage[/i]
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion