Stainless steel skin?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Stainless steel skin?

Postby dguff » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:44 pm

Recently on a trip to Philadelphia I noticed that most of the lunch carts on street corners were skinned in a quilted stainless steel. The quilted pattern looked to be about a 3" or 4" diamond pattern. My wife thought it would look good on a teardrop and I had to agree. Has anyone had any experience or have any idea of the cost of this material as the skins on a teardrop versus aluminum? Thanks for any feedback.

Jerome :thinking:
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:13 pm

Have worked in the stainless steel restaurant equipment manufacturing business and unless you like working with a diffacult material to cut I would stay away from it. It is also heavy. There are different grades of metal as to the rust worthiness also. I would not reccomend it. I don't know retail prices on SS but I would imagine that it is pricier than aluminum.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:17 am

Jerome,
I considered Stainless before opting for copper on the roof of my woody.
I nixed the idea because I didn't want to blind drivers following behind me. (I was going to go with polished)
That quilted look that you are talking about is from being "broken" in a sheet metal brake, it adds stiffness. If you like that look, it would work out great on your sidewalls, but I would recommend just using flat stainless on your roof.
Give O&M Industries a call at (707) 822-8800, they will be able to give you prices.

The Lunchbucket?

Postby KZ76017 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:32 am

Would you then name your tear, "The Lunchbucket"? and sell dogs out of the back? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uh-oh, I may have just started a monster of an idea!
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Postby San Diegan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:54 am

KZ76017. OK. So what's wrong with that? It would seem that a merger of technologies could be beneficial.
The hot dog people have the right idea, they simply forgot about a cabin for sleeping. And you always have hot water, mustard, and onions ready any time you want it. This probably does not work out well in bear country.

Actually, I have considered using stainless for counter tops after my "kitchen remodel" I am not certain where to obtain it in small area sizes (approximately 12 -18 x 48 inches), best cutting techinque, or how to work it if I want to cove into a 90 degree junction or over the lip of a shelf.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Check out my album.

Postby KZ76017 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:39 am

Check out my personal album. Page 3)(Not the build journal) I bought a gas grill on ebay for $100.00 and it is like a JennAire. I was thinking of using the sides of the bottom area that covers the propane tank for aluminum doors/counter tops in my galley.

Also thought about placing that grill in the galley and making it slide out.

So I'm not far away from your idea.
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Postby JunkMan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:30 am

Stainless is a lot heavier than aluminum, and costs a lot more. It is also very hard to cut and drill. You won't trim the sides with a router like you can do with aluminum.

I have access to a sheet metal shop with a shear and brake, and have made some of my own stainless steel trim and panels. Because I am in food service, I work with it quite a bit. It may look nice, but for a TD I'll stick with aluminum.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:39 am

Jeff,
I know a real slick way to doctor up a drill bit to make drilling stainless effortless... If you sharpen your own drill bits, just flatten the angle out a bit on the end of your drill bit...Try it, you'll be amazed... :thumbsup:

Postby JunkMan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:43 am

I never have been able to sharpen a bit worth a darn. The wife finally got me a drill doctor for Christmas a couple of years ago. Every so often I will get out a hand full of dull bits and sharpen them. I've got enough dull bits laying around my shop to keep the "doctor" busy for a long time thanks to stainless steel!
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:54 am

Luckily for me, I had a very wise teacher in metal shop back in high school.
He had a rule... You had to build a drill gauge and demonstrate that you knew how to properly sharpen a drill bit (Using your drill gauge of course) before you were allowed to do any projects on the metal lathes.
I took that teaching for granted quite a few years, but I've come to realize just how smart he was over the years.
I had a chance to thank him a fews years back while doing some glasswork for him and he really gets a kick out of how many former students bring up the subject about sharpening a drill bit. :lol:
I also had the pleasure of having him as an instructor in a couple of drafting classes back in college.
(Mr. Ralph Buehler, EHS Metal Shop Teacher 72'-75')

Return to General Discussion