black marks on my aluminum

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Geron » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:37 pm

SteveH wrote:I tried lacquer thinner, I tried wax and oil remover, I tried MEK, and nothing would remove the stains on the aluminum from my hands but the cleaner wax.

Thanks, My aluminum is next on the project list. You've most likely saved me a lot of work 8)

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DestinDave » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:23 am

The black streaks on the aluminum are caused by the oxidation of the metal and water (either rain, dew, condensation, etc.). The oxidation leaves a dirty residue on the metal and the water runs off in certain places and "deposits" the accumulated oxidation in streaks. Where there were fingerprints a little bit of skin oil will cause the oxidation to stick there also. Cleaner waxes and compounds basically scrub a microscopic layer of metal taking the oxidized dirt with it. You'll find black streaks on a fiberglass boat directly under all metal snaps, antenna mounts, screws, etc. One of the best preventives I found in boat detailing was using Collinite Insulator Wax or Collinite Boat Wax after thoroughly cleaning the metal or fiberglass. Neither of these waxes have compound in them but they put down a nice layer of wax. You'll still get black marks but they'll wash right off with auto wash. Keep a protective layer of wax and you should be fine. I highly recommend using an orbital buffer with a cleaner wax to clean the aluminum and also to apply the finish wax - it won't leave swirl and stroke marks. Use a thick cotton towel to remove wax residue.
I'm sure others have other methods - this is what worked for me in the detailing business. Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:22 pm

You might try to use Pledge. I now use that stuff to clean everything, TVs, Stailess Steel, Crome, wood and plastic I use it all over in my cars too. Zaino on the outside and Pledge on the inside.
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion