Am I crazy?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Am I crazy?

Postby JT » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:23 am

I must be crazy for even thinking about doing this or am I?

I want a teardrop but don't like the high prices of most of the "production" models out there so I am thinking of building my own.

Couple problems:

1) I live on a sailboat and have no place to build one. However, there is a solution to this. Out here in So. Cal, there are always garages available for rent for around $100/mo. Sometimes cheaper.

2) I don't have a lot of woodworking skills.

3) I don't presently own any tools.

My goals, I think, are pretty basic:

1) Water tight

2) Road worthy

3) Comfortable sleeping for my 6'2" frame. I doubt there would ever be more than just me sleeping inside.

4) Small galley with an ice box or thermoelectric cooler. Don't think I really need a sink or anything fancy.

So, this has me seriously considering buying Kuffel Creek's Cubby plans and renting a garage for a few months. :thinking:

Those of you with HF trailer-based teardrops, how well do they stand up to the roadways?

Am I crazy? :?

Thanks

- JT
JT
Teardrop Inspector

Postby AmyH » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:45 am

JT,

I can't speak for how well the harbor freight chassis will hold up, but I can speak for the Kuffel Creek plans, since that is what I purchased when I decided I wanted to build a tear. They are great plans, and well worth the cost. Kevin also does a good job of showing that you don't need to have great woodworking skills to pull it off. With a rented garage, some plans in hand, and the great people on this board you can definitely pull it off! Good luck!

Amy :thumbsup:
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Geron » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:03 am

There're some who pooh pooh the HF trailers because they are bolted together. I have three - one that I've had for close on to 30 years. Used as a utility trailer I've put several "bodies" on it and at one time had a "rough" TT/TD on it for a couple years. Sat out in the weather most of the time - I've repainted it once. Never tightened a single nut cause I"ve never had to. Another is around 10 years old and I just bought the third to put the TD on. This has been my experience. Let those who Pooh Pooh the HF bolt togethers speak from their experience not their opinions.

There are perhaps hundreds of TD's build on the HF chassis. I haven't seen a single complaint but I've only been around here since January. JMO based on experience with 3 trailers. :) :thumbsup:

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Hello JT and Welcome!

We built our Cubby teardrop trailer with the KuffleCreek plans. The Kuffel Creek plans were excellent and necessary for us. We had prior skills... without them, I would highly recommend you get the plans.
EXCELLENT size for one! (a little "cozy" for two)

The HF trailer in my opinion is great. We do most of our camping on private property or State land WAY back in the woods. We've taken this trailer through some pretty rough two tracks with deep sand... with the 4 wheel drive we have never had a problem feeling like we were taking the trailer somewhere it couldn't handle. If the truck can handle it, we pretty much feel like the trailer can.

We can also get our trailer WAY back in where others with larger trailers just couldn't get. It's really just great for really "rustic" camping.

In fact, we're leaving tomorrow to take it way back in the woods where we've never camped before. We've got ONE day in Michigan here that it will be almost 70 degrees tomorrow!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby San Diegan » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:53 pm

You are going to think we are all getting a commission from Kevin at Kuffel Creek. But... another reason for the plans is that Kevin stages lists of items to be ordered ahead of time at various points in the construction. Having critical supplies on hand could save you some down time and cost as the meter ticks on your garage rental.

As I mentioned, my first tear is from Hunter. Nevertheless, the plans have given me back their cost in terms of designs and processes for the additions I plan such as a water tank, galley cabinet enhancement, additional cabinets for the cabin, and so on. I happen to like having tools, but I'll have to say Kevin is also somewhat of a minimalist on tool purchases. He makes dado cuts, sliding door tracks, and cuts aluminum with a table saw; hand saws and cuts dovetails. A large number of the parts list items come from Home Depot, JC Whitney, and Harbor Freight rather than higer priced RV outlets.

Tom

PS: Yes, you are crazy. I am crazy too. I can only speak with authority for myself, but will speculate that there are a lot of us in here who are crazy. A nice crazy bunch.
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby len19070 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:13 pm

You have just the right Mindset to be a Teardrop camper. Good luck.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to General Discussion