Brake Light Blues

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Brake Light Blues

Postby Wild Mike » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:10 pm

OK ... all you wiring gurus out there. Last night I finally got to add the trailer wiring kit to my 91 Mazda truck. Being an import it has the independent turn signal circuit ... so I ran over to the auto parts store and pickup a Hoppy Converter # 48845.

Got everything wired up according to the simple wiring diagram from the trailer wiring kit and the fool proof makerings on the Hoppy converter. Well ... almost fool proof! Every thing works except the brake lights!! The last thing I did before knocking off for the night was to open up the brake light connector to make sure I got the right wire and yep ... there was power when the brkes were applied. But NO brake lights. The same circuit is used for the turn signals and they work ... so I'm assuming I got a bad connector kit ... but before I crawl under the truck again I thought I'd check with all the experts here.

Helllllllp ... please !!!! Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ross Wade » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:50 pm

Wild Mike,

Funny thing, I just went through that same shtuff tonight. Everything worked excepted the brake lights. My problem was simple, after an hour of retracing the wires, I had a loose connection, that was all. Hopefully yours will be that simple too.

Wish I could be more help. Ross
Ross
Southern Appalachian Tearjerker Chapter Director
Ross Wade
Southern TearJerker

Postby Joseph » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:40 am

Hey Wild Mike,

I had the same problem except that NOTHING worked save for the right turn signal. It was all loose connections - I'm using a six-pin connector and when I went into the truck side and opened up the split male pins a bit, everything worked fine.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Wild Mike » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:21 am

Thanks for the ideas guys ... I do have one thing left to try. Last night I had my friend hook up his truck to my tear and everything worked like it was suppose to.

When I checked the connector for the brake light I checked it at the connecter and not out of the connecter. So I'm taking half a day vacation this afternoon and I'll check the wire after it leaves the connector.

Let's see ... I have to hang the door and install the door latch ... well buy the door latch. I'm picking up the Scouts at 5:00 for a campout this weekend. YeeeeeeHaw ... the first campout in my new tear !

I'll take some photos !
Wild Mike
Wild Mike
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion