Questions from rookie on building the Cub/Modernistic

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Questions from rookie on building the Cub/Modernistic

Postby Beowulf » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:44 pm

Hi all, I have been mulling this Idea around about building a teardrop for about a year now. Out of all the teardrops that I have seen the cub just seems to do it for me. :thumbsup:

My questions concern plans or reference materials concerning the cub other than this or other forums?

Another thing whenever I tried to modifiy the plans I have been drawing up to raise the roof to 5 feet. It ended Up looking like an egg.....Finally I reallized that the length and hight had to be in perportion so to get the final dimentions that I wanted 5' wide and 5' in hight the length ends up being over 12' long. Does this seem right to anyone else :? and has anybody done this with this style? Will Enlarging the dimentions change the "feel" of the shape? I know the Lil' Diner is close but it is still not the same in wood. (BTW I think Steve Is doing an awesome job on that project) I really like the wood just not for the first one I will be needing a way to hide mistakes and seams to hide. ;)

Thanks for your input
Beowulf
Teardrop Inspector

Postby San Diegan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:11 am

Beowulf,

You should probably have a look at Andrew's (angib) New Cub design if you have not already done so. I find it very attractive and it will probably be my first build after my "store bought" Hunter.

Go here: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear27.htm

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:54 am

San Diegan wrote:Beowulf,

You should probably have a look at Andrew's (angib) New Cub design if you have not already done so. I find it very attractive and it will probably be my first build after my "store bought" Hunter.

Go here: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear27.htm

Tom

That's the plan that I'm using.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Questions from rookie on building the Cub/Modernistic

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:07 am

Yes, if you want a taller cub, then you have to lengthen it. I wouldn't be surprised it it ended up being 12' long like you said.

Otherwise you'll end up with something that looks more like a midget than a cub. Check out the midget on Andrews page.

The Lil Diner is a very unique profile, driven mostly by function. It required adaquate headroom for seating, plus adaquate room on the front for a tongue chest.

And your first one can be covered with Uniflex 255, aluminum, pvc, tpo or whatever...!!!

Mike...

Beowulf wrote: Another thing whenever I tried to modifiy the plans I have been drawing up to raise the roof to 5 feet. It ended Up looking like an egg.....Finally I reallized that the length and hight had to be in perportion so to get the final dimentions that I wanted 5' wide and 5' in hight the length ends up being over 12' long. Does this seem right to anyone else :? and has anybody done this with this style? Will Enlarging the dimentions change the "feel" of the shape? I know the Lil' Diner is close but it is still not the same in wood. (BTW I think Steve Is doing an awesome job on that project) I really like the wood just not for the first one I will be needing a way to hide mistakes and seams to hide. ;)

Thanks for your input
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby George T. » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:59 am

Greetings from Colorado!

My interpretation of a "morphed" Cub/Modernistic.

More photos can be seen at http://pages.prodigy.net/rfs2growup/lost%20teardrop.html

The Lost Teardrop body is 5' wide inside, 11' long and about 4' 6" high.

George T.
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby San Diegan » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:27 pm

asianflava and George T.

You guys are doing and have accomplished nice renditions of this classic profiled teardrop. I am inspired.

Are you planning on or have used custom frames? I would like 14 or 14" tires, the option of a 60" width, and torsion bar suspension, so the HF 1800 lb frame is out.

Thanks,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:51 pm

Yes, I'm doing a custom frame. I just drew it out the other day. I'm going to have a buddy of mine weld it up. I'm using a Dexter torsion axle with 14" wheels.

Now the dilemma is, do I bring the body to his shop and build the frame to it, or build the frame according to measurements and hope it fits.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:55 pm

Sometimes I can't remember which photos I have shared with you guys and which I haven't. This is one of those times... So in case I didn't share this with yuns before, here ya go...

Mike...

BTW, this was built on a 5x8 frame. I imagine you could do the same with a red trailer bolt together frame...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Beowulf » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:33 pm

Thanks for the replies, I have been to Andrew's Design page and found it very helpful. Seeing all the design's on one page really makes it easy to zero in on one.

Mikeschn the teardrop you and Steve are building is very inspiring and yes I am sure I will be "borrowing" a few techniques from what I have learned from the build journal. The only things holding me back from a woody are the experience building and fiberglassing. Also maybe I am nostalgic for the summer's I spent with my father while he was working construction in a early 50's Spartan 35' aluminum trailer. So for old times sake and my sanity this one will be aluminum :thumbsup:

George T your site was one of the first one's I found when I started research over a year ago. BTW how tall is the trailer? For some reason It never clicked with me untill I saw you standing by it that it must be about 6' to the top of the roof.

Asian Flava do you have access to a trailer you could tack/partially weld the platform together and haul it over to your house for a test. then run it back for any adjustment's and have him finish
Beowulf
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion