whats FRP?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

whats FRP?

Postby slowpoke » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:27 pm

I dont know so I am asking.Metal I can deal with but anything off that I am lost.
thanks
JM
slowpoke
Teardrop Builder

Re: whats FRP?

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:54 am

FRP stands for fiberglass reinforced panel. It's like the Filon that they use on the big trailers and motor homes. Home depot sells a version that the use in public restrooms. The home depot version doesn't have UV inhibitors, so you would have to paint it to protect it. Buford is running a test now!

slowpoke wrote:I dont know so I am asking.Metal I can deal with but anything off that I am lost.
thanks
JM
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: whats FRP?

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:00 am

Mike is correct. You do have to paint it and I was playing around with different types of glue and found what I need to use. Going to give the whole thing a test in 2 weeks and post how it works. It's has been setting outside now for 6 months and have not had anyproblems with it. Cheaper than aluminum and can be painted any color you want. Cuts easy with plywood blade on saw.

Buford

slowpoke wrote:I dont know so I am asking.Metal I can deal with but anything off that I am lost.
thanks
JM
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Gage » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:59 pm

Buford, just for the heck of it, where did you get it? I plan on painting the Scotsman at a later date and that might work better than the alum. I don't mind making a change for an improvement.

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BufordT » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:44 am

Gage wrote:Buford, just for the heck of it, where did you get it? I plan on painting the Scotsman at a later date and that might work better than the alum. I don't mind making a change for an improvement.

Have a good day,
Gage

Gage, I got the 4x8 sheets at Home Depot. I was able to pick up a 4x10 and a 4x12 sheet at a place in Orlando Fl. Stuff only comes 4ft wide.
Cuts really easy and with little mess with a plywood saw blade on a skill saw.
You do have to be careful that you dont' rip it. But the main function is to keep dents and scratches from getting to the plywood. Works great for that.

You will have to paint it but you can do that anycolour you wish.

It was suggested that you use vinyl top glue to adhear to the sides and top but I've found that if you use the liquid nail in the can made for frp it works better even though the can says for inside use only. I did a couple of places on the mini hopper with the can stuff and find that it holds much bette than the vinyl glue does.

If you are looking for a cheap alternitive to other sidings this is the way to go. I've even come up with an Idea to use it on a wider tear.

Bufordt :twisted:
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Gage » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:26 am

"Stuff only comes 4ft wide." Bummer, I guess I could run a splice right down the center and then cover it with a chrome trim piece. Hmmmm, I wonder if I could do that and it look right. Anyways, thanks for the added info.

Have a good day,
Gage
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BufordT » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:42 pm

Gage wrote:"Stuff only comes 4ft wide." Bummer, I guess I could run a splice right down the center and then cover it with a chrome trim piece. Hmmmm, I wonder if I could do that and it look right. Anyways, thanks for the added info.

Have a good day,
Gage

Gage you could do that but I was thinking about cutting into a 3 ft wide section. Placing that one in the center and using 2 1ft sections on each side. covering the splices with something and calling it racing strips.

Bufordt :twisted:
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to General Discussion