Another look at FRP

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Another look at FRP

Postby whitefishpoint » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 am

Update: This is the 4th year since my build. FRP is still fine, however, I now see a very slight yellowing. No problems with anything else. The PL glue is the only thing holding the FRP in most places. No problems with that either.

WARNING: When you cut FRP be VERY careful of the dust - DO NOT BREATH IT IN. I used a face mask- the kind with 2 filters. Dust masks are not good enough. I cut it out in the garage, then I would take my leaf blower and completely blow all the dust off everything and out of the garage.
whitefishpoint
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 pm

whitefishpoint wrote:WARNING: When you cut FRP be VERY careful of the dust - DO NOT BREATH IT IN. I used a face mask- the kind with 2 filters. Dust masks are not good enough. I cut it out in the garage, then I would take my leaf blower and completely blow all the dust off everything and out of the garage.

Everyone gets very worried about cutting or grinding fiberglass but it isn't a health risk, just a nuisance - the word 'fiber' does not mean health risk!

On the other hand cutting and sanding most hardwoods is a health risk (carcinogen) and a dust mask is essential. But then people think wood is 'natural', so they believe it cannot be a risk.

Fiberglass dust is a cause of scratching to most people, at first - I've never known anyone who didn't stop being sensitive to the dust after 30 days of exposure.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:23 am

I'm still interested in the durability of the nrp non reinforced plastic sheets. They are massively lighter than the frp. Just hope it would hold up to the uv rays like the frp does.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Paradiseteardrop » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:05 am

I brought home a sheet of the heavy FRP in the Prius. Bought it and rolled it out in the sun on a cart. Let it warm up and had a HD employee help roll it up and tie it with twyne.. Could have put in 2 more of the sheets with the left over room. Takes 5 sheets to do a complete 4 x 10 TD.
Paradiseteardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby len19070 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Just another update, 23 years.

len19070 wrote:22 years and still holding up well!

len19070 wrote:In about 1990-91 I built a fence around my Pool.

I wanted it to be a nice privacy fence to sit on the elevated concrete around the Pool.

So I built a painted Cedar fence with FRP for the insert panels.

No paint or anything, just raw FRP openly exposed, both sides to 20 years of North Eastern Winters, Summers, radical Temp changes, rain, sun, Chlorine etc.

And that's a School yard out back, balls hitting it, all the kids, and all things associated with a School Yard.

All the things I'm hearing that FRP is not supposed to do.

I recently had to reinsert a panel that was knocked out of its slot by something from the School Yard. Something that is a regular chore.

The panel was not broken, chipped, brittle or chalky.

In fact it looked as good as the day I put it in some 20 years before.

This is one hell of a test for a material that's not supposed to be able to withstand the Sun, Temp Changes and so on.

I'm convinced that this stuff can be used outside on say....A Trailer Roof that needs a solid nonporous sheet material.

Just my experience with the stuff.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby 48Rob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Len,

Good report!

Could it be that part of the reason they have done so well is that they are floating panels?
Wonder too, if like the paint/solvent formulas that have changed over the last few years, if the ingredient list is still the same between your panels, and today's?

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:43 am

48Rob wrote:Len,

Good report!

Could it be that part of the reason they have done so well is that they are floating panels?
Wonder too, if like the paint/solvent formulas that have changed over the last few years, if the ingredient list is still the same between your panels, and today's?

Rob

Good Points Rob.

It is true, what was made 20 some years ago and whats available now are probably 2 different animals.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:52 am

My two FRP trailers spent the first two years of their life in the elements 24-7 and look as good today as when they were built. They are drilled and secured to the spars with a little wiggle room and a dab of silicone caulking under hard plastic rosettes. There is no sign of cracking or spidering around the attach points. I am sorry but I really love the stuff and feel it would easily survive a moderate hail storm unscathed unlike some of your aluminum ones.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 48Rob » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:10 am

Bob,

No need to be sorry for being happy with a product!

You're right, it probably would survive a hail storm with much less, if any damage.
I'm interested in alternative materials too, but am always wary of hinging an entire project, and huge amounts of work around a (mostly) unproven product that, if it failed would cause me untold grief tearing everything apart...

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Another look at FRP my FRP "TD"

Postby Paradiseteardrop » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi there I have finished my teardrop and did the outside with FRP. My pics are to big so will try this way and loaded them on the internet. Been out 2 times and everything went well. It was down to 40 degrees and 2 people in there was quite warn. The windows were fogged up in the morning. Need booties to get out in the night and an outside light and other things. Click or copy & paste . Hope it works. Lee

https://plus.google.com/photos/11647754 ... 2696420769
Paradiseteardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby PodKiDo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Don't have a Google+ account, so I can't see your pictures. :(
PodKiDo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ocasioc25 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:09 am

Thank you! I've been back and forth with should I or not use FRP on my build. They do have NRP, same thing but only plastic sheets. Well, I guess you made a difference when I start the interior walls, which is where I'm at this point. Now another question... I want to use FRP on the exterior of my roof and then use aluminum sheets over that. At least 6" to 8" apart for the spars that are 1.75" square out of ripped 2x4's. Will it bend good? Just asking.

Thank you

Carlos
ocasioc25
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Another look at FRP my FRP "TD"

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Paradiseteardrop wrote:Hi there I have finished my teardrop and did the outside with FRP. My pics are to big so will try this way and loaded them on the internet.

Here's some of your pics:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby camper4life » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:07 am

The shop where I work uses FRP panels on tow boats to line the inside walls. These panels are already glued to 1/4" plywood.
Marlite is manufacture we use.
camper4life
Teardrop Builder

Postby El Duderino » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:57 pm

Greetings Teardroppers,

So I've been lurking around here for long time and feel it's time to ask some questions...

Is there any consensus about which adhesive is better? Liquid Nails for FRP, Henry's, other?

How about bonding the FRP to foam panels, has anyone been successful in doing this? If so what adhesive was used?

I like the idea of putting the smooth side out. Are they any issues with getting adhesives to stick to the "pebbled" side of the panel?

Thanks in Advance,
El Duderino
El Duderino
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion