Another look at FRP

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby cracker39 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:36 pm

When I scrapped the heavy wood pop top on my new trailer, and made the foam pop top, I thought the white paneling I had used in the cabin was too heavy. I bought a sheet of Plas Tex FRP from HD for the pop top ceiling as it was much lighter. It is rated for interior use. In the store, I rolled it into a tube about 12" in diameter x 4' wide to carry out to the car. It will roll even tighter than that if you need to.

If I am crazy enough to build a third one, I think I'll use the same FRP for all of my interior paneling. Tan on the walls, white on the ceiling.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:57 am

my hatch is made of FRP, it has 4 bows and a couple of spars going across but the only skin is FRP, I figured the hatch is only a fairing and it is so sloped on my TD that no snow will sit on t. The hatch is very light weight and goes great with my live plastic hinge. Right now the FRP is screwed to the frame, I plan on using channel to let it float. I painted over the FRP with the same porch and floor paint I used to cover my canvas skin.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Re: Another look at FRP

Postby len19070 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:42 am

22 years and still holding up well!

len19070 wrote:In about 1990-91 I built a fence around my Pool.

I wanted it to be a nice privacy fence to sit on the elevated concrete around the Pool.

So I built a painted Cedar fence with FRP for the insert panels.

No paint or anything, just raw FRP openly exposed, both sides to 20 years of North Eastern Winters, Summers, radical Temp changes, rain, sun, Chlorine etc.

And that's a School yard out back, balls hitting it, all the kids, and all things associated with a School Yard.

All the things I'm hearing that FRP is not supposed to do.

I recently had to reinsert a panel that was knocked out of its slot by something from the School Yard. Something that is a regular chore.

The panel was not broken, chipped, brittle or chalky.

In fact it looked as good as the day I put it in some 20 years before.

This is one hell of a test for a material that's not supposed to be able to withstand the Sun, Temp Changes and so on.

I'm convinced that this stuff can be used outside on say....A Trailer Roof that needs a solid nonporous sheet material.

Just my experience with the stuff.

Happy Trails

Len
Last edited by len19070 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:46 am

I'd say that was a very good investment of time and money! Thanks for the update Len. :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby b.bodemer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Good to know that my FRP in the interior of my cargo trailer will last longer than the trailer! :lol: :lol:

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: FRP & Filon

Postby CARS » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:03 pm

JIC wrote:To answer GPW question.
Yes and No. Filon is a type of FRP made for rv use, it has a UV protector
added to it.
FRP, from Lowes or HD is intended for interior use only and does not
have the UV protector added.
FRP from Lowes or HD can be UV protection by a good coat of plastic
adhering paint, such as the type they use on plastic car bumpers.

Filon also comes in 102'' width and you can purchase any lenght you
want, it also much more expensive.
I hope this is not as clear as mud and it will help.
Jim C.

Since this popped up again (good job Len!), I caught this bit that I put in bold type.

When we paint a car, we use the exact same "paint" on the steel as we do on the plastic, BUT the primer is different or an adhesion promoter is applied before the primer is sprayed. Each paint company has their own spin on the process, but the color is the same. The UV protection comes from the clear coat that is applied over the color coat.
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby kludge » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:10 am

What are you all doing with the seams?
kludge
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:21 am

Both of mine were 4x7 so seams were few. The one on Rip Van Winkle my little 4x7 sleeper trailer ( no Galley) was at the nose and I used ice dam tape underneath at the seam and let the front fly over about 2 - 2 1/2 inches. I sealed with 100% silicone and trapped the joint with 1 1/2" aluminum flat stock.

The frp panels have a companion joining spline that I would use in companion with vinyl siding adhesive sealer or the 100% silicone for seams on the sides

here is the link to some of the build

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38489&start=45
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:16 am

The only real drawback to frp is that it's very heavy compared to aluminum siding but is extremely durable and as stated all over the forum does not require the filon to withstand the sunlight. Now lowes is carrying non reinforced plastic panels without the fiberglass inserts and is much lighter and I'd be interested in seeing how it holds up to the UV without the fiberglass shards all in it. Same look finish wise just massively lighter.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Re: FRP in the store

Postby Paradiseteardrop » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:14 am

steve smoot wrote:I found it Lowes Building Supply, $30 for a 4x8 sheet. They are stocking it in white , tan and gray. :thumbsup:

They have it here for $ 32.47 --4x8. Also in a color they call Almond. It a .lightlight green . Looks like an Almong nut just out of the sheel before drying. And I cannot see the green in my shop. Looks like it turned white. Florence light might make it look white.They also have the trim in the colors they stock. I used it for the edges and trimming. Trim is pretty tough. Its supposed to made oput of the FRP plastic. If you rip the FRP[url][/url] it apart there is a rubbery top coat on compressed fiberglass and plastic compond. A formica counter top bit in a router works good for trimming it to the edge. Stuff flys all over.
Paradiseteardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby Paradiseteardrop » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:20 am

kludge wrote:What are you all doing with the seams?

There are trim and corners for the FRP. Same as you use when doing the shower stall. About 2.50 for a 6 foot strip. Its made of the FRP plastic.
There is a 2 foot add on to the side and used it on the back corners.
gallery/search.php?search_id=egosearch
Paradiseteardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby Paradiseteardrop » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:39 am

4x10 sheets are special order and cost $86 bucks. Lowes quote in CA. It hard to see but there is FRP edging here . It the edges used for FRP in the shower. Outside edge --In side corner --etc. Glue the FRP on --then knife it back and install the edge. Do not nail or staple at the edge where you want to use the plastic edge.
Paradiseteardrop
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:26 pm

Paradiseteardrop wrote:
kludge wrote:What are you all doing with the seams?

There are trim and corners for the FRP. Same as you use when doing the shower stall. About 2.50 for a 6 foot strip. Its made of the FRP plastic.
There is a 2 foot add on to the side and used it on the back corners.

You may want to check again on the inside and outside corner trim and splines. I used these on my the underside of my hatch and I believe that the trim is just "P" without the "FR".
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 pm

The trim edges at Lowes and hd are not frp but pvc which will not hold up to direct sunlight.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Paradiseteardrop » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:41 am

They could be PVC. Tried to get the guy to find the spec sheet but to no avail. They went to a lot of trouble matching the colors to the FRP and the trim. If you work at it the FRB has a thin rubbery top coat. Maby it a form of PVE also.
Also checked out the other wall covering at Lowes . Its .090 thick. --Polywall panel--WHITE ONLY--100% recycled PVC--mold resistant--use Henery or liquid nail adheasive---PARKLAND PERFORMANCE--WWW.WATERPROOFPANELS.COM------aT lOWES---$22.65. Has a nice pebbel tecture. It will roll up easy for transporting.
Paradiseteardrop
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion