Traditional or not?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Traditional or not?

Postby tdthinker » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:51 pm

Is a grasshopper a traditional tear drop design? I would like to know since I like to go to the teardrop get to gethers and some of the are traditional tears only. O well I guess I will have to make two, lol. Thanks for the info, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Re: Traditional or not?

Postby BufordT » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:05 am

tdthinker wrote:Is a grasshopper a traditional tear drop design? I would like to know since I like to go to the teardrop get to gethers and some of the are traditional tears only. O well I guess I will have to make two, lol. Thanks for the info, bye

According to most people who have traditional tears. It's not a traditional teardrop trailer.

But then again. What do I really know about traditional trailers.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:13 am

You know, in my opinion it really does not matter. Why does anything have to be original or fall in to any style? Build whatever grabs you is what I say!

Take my 53 Chevy, it is a mild custom mixing several elements. It is a 1953, but I have 54 taillights and Lee Bubble lenses. It has been converted to 12 volts, with a full Dakota Digital dash and A/C but still has the original 235 straight 6. Original style seats, but I am making custom door panels. Why am I mixing so many different things? Because I feel like it!
Do your own thing! Groovy man!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:34 am

thanks guys. It is just this grass hopper is really appealing. When I sall it I knew it was love at first sight, I meen hey, It was GREEN! I have never really liked the grass hopper tell I really broke it down and looked at it. It has the same amout of bed space and looks as it has more storage or at least easier to build a square cabnet in! Thanks for the info, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Grant » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:57 am

The Grasshopper was a commercially produced trailer in the mid '70s. While the original designer/mfg. didn't (and still does not) consider it a teardrop, it fits within the basic guidlines of being a teardrop. One or two surviving originals show up regularly at many of the Southern California Touring Tears events, and I don't know of ANY teardrop gathering that would not allow one (or a copy thereof) to participate.

Just to be clear, "traditional" teardrops have CURVES, and one of the last "traditional" commercially-produced teardrops is the Scad-a-bout (a slight modification of the '53 Benroy), which died out in the mid-to-late '60s. Most of the designs that came after that seemed to follow along the lines of their larger travel-trailer brethren of the era.

But let's go ahead and clear things up a bit more with regards as to what IS a teardrop. With only a few exceptions, if your trailer is under 12' long, 7' wide, and 5' high (bodywise), and you sleep inside with integral accomodations for food preparation on the outside (generally in the rear, but sometimes in the front), it fits within the guidlines of being a teardrop and/or following the teardrop concept - and you WILL be welcome at ALL teardrop gatherings, with the rare exception.

Just because the design isn't "traditional" doesn't mean it isn't a TEARDROP, O.K.?

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Chip » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:15 am

Hey TDthnker,,,,if the group is so up tight about what is or is not acceptable then you might not want to associate anyway,,,,as far as traditional teardrop,,my opinion is a grasshopper is not traditional,,,as far as being accepted,,,well ya can pull beside mine anytime,,that is when I get finished,,,heck its a small home built trailer and be proud of what ya build,,,who cares if its TRUE traditional or not,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Frank » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:13 pm

Chip,
I second that emotion! 8) Think there has been too much said on what is and what isn't. That's what is so nice about "Teardrops & Tiny Trailers".
Our cars, clothes, houses, etc are all different that's what makes us all unique and interesting, so why not our trailers? Would it not be a boring world if we and everything about us was all the same!!
Enough, I'm going back to sleep.
Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby emiller » Mon Jun 28, 2004 7:20 pm

:D I like shows like SCTT which is traditional tears only, and wouldn't miss it. But also is alot of fun to have shows that have special interest trailers and thats why we in Phoenix are having our show at Dead Horse Ranch , in Cottonwood, AZ for vintage travel trailers teardrops new or old and any special interest trailers.
emiller
Donating Member

Postby tdthinker » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:49 pm

Thanks guys! You are all right I and That is how I feel too. Chip I would be damn proud to pull down the highway next to you. That gos for everyone. I am glad I have people like you to talk to, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Rick R » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:43 am

I cant see the big deal about TDs being rounded. A TD is basicly a sleeping compartment and and outdoor kitchen, together in a small aerodynamic trailer. But that fits squared-off designs too. The rounded look just happened to be a nice looking syle that was and still is very popular. But squared-off designs are just as aerodynamic, allowing the air to be shed around the trailer while its being towed, to make towing easier.

My "Love Shack" is a squared-off design, rather than rounded, but I still call it a TD, as it will be small, has sleeping space inside, and the usual outdoor gally. If anyone has trouble with me calling it a TD, they should know that I dont back down when I'm right, and I love a good fight! :twisted: On the other hand, if a TD group is full of thought nazis, then I wouldnt care for their company in the first place. Rather be with a group like this one, where anything fun is allowed! :D
Rick R
Teardrop Builder

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:56 am

The reason I am here is because we accept "other tiny trailers". I am partial to 'traditional' types but enjoy the design and workmanship of all and my next project will more than likely be more modern for my daughter to pull. Park next to mine with whatever you have. Alan
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Chip » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:27 pm

if You are a purest about tradition thats great,,but take out the 12v electrics and the 12v lighting and the cd player, tha tv, the a/c,,modern conviencies, and the 115v connector, the modum for the computer etc etc etc,,now we getting back to tradition,,put anything in a camper that was not used in the 30s and 40s or even the early 50s and ya break tradition,,the term teardrops is sort of like making a xerox copy,,dang few are made on a xerox machine,,
I dont have an answer to the ongoing riddle of what is or is not "acceptable" my vote is to not worry about tradition unless you are a TRUE purest ,,just like cars and rods,,there is a place for both and damn few cars actually fit into the as original catigory,,bring on them squared off ,angled, funny looking trailers that you poured out blood, sweat and money to build,,,I want to meet the people anyway,,,dang it this subject gets my old butt in a knot, going back out and work on my non-traditional, 12v/115v,a/c, KEN-ROY-TD

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rick R » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:32 am

Oh, mine will be traditional all right, LOL, in line with its name its being made to look like a traditional run-down wood shack! After the shell is done, and thoroughly waterproofed, the sides will be given untreated wood siding and trim, with a "tin" roof on top, and it will be allowed to weather to an old-wood grey color. There will even be a front window, with a tongue mounted wooden tool box, made up to look like a window flower box.

It'll LOOK like a traditional run down wood shack on wheels, until the back opens and I plug in! It'll have switchable ac/heating, using the same ducting, and electric lights and sound. Plus the usual amenities.

Traditionalist? Not me! I like my creature comforts, and having fun. So does my fiancee.

And like the song goes, if the house is a rockin, dont come a knockin. But if you've been invited, come on in!
Rick R
Teardrop Builder

Return to General Discussion