Hey Russ How you doing?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Hey Russ How you doing?

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Hey Russ How you doing?

Doing fine so far thanks. It is 16 degrees out and windy yet the blue flame is still on low and keeping me warm at inside temps at 68 degrees. HOWEVER! I feel like I am in rough waters and just hope the propane doesn't quit tonight. Nice and comfy under the thick blankets atop my electric heating mattress cover set @5 out of 10. These things are nice but give a false sense of security when morning comes. Now the beams are not dripping as the heat rises and the ceiling is the warmest keeping the beams warm and not cold so no drips. But the walls are really dripping behind the panels. I just thought of something. The reason the beams aren't dripping is that the skin is atop some wood and the heat is keeping them warm anyhow.

Calculate 99 more days. Yeah Spring!!! :applause: Better get through this one I suppose. :roll: :thinking: Who is it that says I Think I can, I Think I can, I Think I can.
Last edited by southpennrailroad on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Russ,

You are my hero man! 8)

It is Sharon who says, "I think, I can." Which she admirably demonstrates for us, often.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:16 pm

That's pretty awsome Russ...

You have a backup bottle of propane, right?

Did you ever tell me what part of Pgh you are from?

I started downtown at Duquesne University, went to Brookline from there, and after a short stay in North Versailles ended up in Dravosburg and West Mifflin.

Of course, that was all a long time ago!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:19 pm

You're gonna make it through this winter! :snow

Thanks, Steve Cox; but, I took the saying "I think I can" from the book/story:
The Little Engine That Could and you, SouthPennRR, can too! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:26 pm

mikeschn wrote:That's pretty awsome Russ...

I started downtown at Duquesne University, went to Brookline from there, and after a short stay in North Versailles ended up in Dravosburg and West Mifflin.

Mike...

MIKE you mentioned all those communities and I drive all over Pittsburgh all the time to reach my customers. I know where all the communities are you mentioned. You were close as I live or move around in Monroeville. As I said earlier, The son's in laws allow me to stay in their unsold house driveway. Feel safer that way. Yes I do have a xtra tank. Cost to fill it is $21.00
Last edited by southpennrailroad on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:29 pm

S. Heisley wrote:You're gonna make it through this winter! :snow

Thanks, Steve Cox; but, I took the saying "I think I can" from the book/story:
The Little Engine That Could and you, SouthPennRR, can too! :thumbsup:

Thanks and yes I will make it this winter. At least others will know how I am fairing. I just looked and the temp is now 15 out so the inside is 66 right now.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:33 pm

southpennrailroad wrote:
mikeschn wrote:That's pretty awsome Russ...

Mike...

You were close as I live or move around in Monroeville. As I said earlier, The son's in laws allow me to stay in their unsold house driveway. Feel safer that way. Yes I do have a xtra tank. Cost to fill it is $21.00

Ah, I used to hang out at Monroeville Mall! Oh the memories!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:41 pm

I like the mall.

Hey I would like your opinion on insulating the wall next year. Should I put the blue stuff up between the spars then tape plastic up over it and then put up the wood? Was thinking about using plastic connectors to hold the wood up after I put up the Styrofoam and plastic. I have access to plastic nail type fasteners.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:49 pm

I've never given insulating a cargo trailer a lot of thought.

But at first blush, moisture comes to mind. Aluminum conducts the cold really well, and causes lots of moisture when it reaches warm surfaces.

I'd be more inclined to attach the EPS to the studs, instead of in between the studs. Then put the wood on that.

That way condensation stops at the EPS, instead of getting into the wood.

But of course, you give up valuable space doing it that way.

Maybe someone else has an idea?

Mike...

P.S. You could also insulate in between the studs, and then put the 1/4" EPS on the studs, and then the wood on that. Of course it would be better to glue the 1/4" EPS to the wood, and then just hang that laminate on the studs!
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:34 pm

This is just an idea off the top of my head: You could put insulation between the studs. Then, back your wood with some additional 1/2" Styrofoam and your plastic sheeting before you attach the resulting wood/Styrofoam/plastic sheeting wall to the studs. That way, you wouldn't be loosing a lot of your interior space but you would have something between the metal stud and the wood. I don't know if that would work with your plastic nail fasteners. If that is a problem, could you possibly remove a small disk of the Styrofoam where the fastener is going to be used? Are the plastic nail fasteners long enough to allow for the extra 1/2" thickness?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:46 pm

S. Heisley wrote:This is just an idea off the top of my head: You could put insulation between the studs. Then, back your wood with some additional 1/2" Styrofoam and your plastic sheeting before you attach the resulting wood/Styrofoam/plastic sheeting wall to the studs. That way, you wouldn't be loosing a lot of your interior space but you would have something between the metal stud and the wood. I don't know if that would work with your plastic nail fasteners. If that is a problem, could you possibly remove a small disk of the Styrofoam where the fastener is going to be used? Are the plastic nail fasteners long enough to allow for the extra 1/2" thickness?

I was even thinking of drilling out the holes which hold the wood on and using plastic grip anchors to keep the screws from touching the steel. This would insulate them from conducting the cold. Still use plastic sheeting over the studs and insulation and the luan. I have seen the type of plastic nails used for anchoring shutters with the ribbed flanges that hold into brick.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Just dropped to 14 degrees 8:56 Inside 68 degrees. I think I might buy me another 20 lb tank tomorrow. I mean there are people who write about their stays in the south but here. I never heard of anyone writing about their experiences in the winter. I figure if I could get through one winter the rest should be fine. Right? Can only improve I suppose. I was going to do this two years ago but was less prepared. Timing is everything.
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:05 pm

Think about the early pioneers. Some of them hunkered down in Calistoga wagons while their men folk built cabins that the wind whistled through even after they were built. They say what doesn't kill ya makes ya smarter; but, I think you've got to be smart to begin with, to win against ol'man winter.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:15 pm

:thumbsup: Hey Russ, happy you are staying warm. You might go over to "Cargo conversions" and ask them about insulation.
http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Off Grid Rving » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:38 am

You and me! I am wintering it out in Southern Wisconsin right now.

6.2 degree's as of writing this outside and blue flame heater on lowest setting it is 74.2 inside.

Terrible problems with moisture here. I need to find a dry heat source. propane produces 1 gallon of moisture for every gallon propane used. so thats roughly 4 gallons a week im pumping into the air inside here.

I imagine your having similar issues?

luckily you have access to an electric heater to help throw you some dry heat now and then.

Tomorrow I will be going down to the spring to fetch another tank full (16 gallons) of water to refill the tank in the "Ogre" (named my camper the Ogre for off grid renewable energy)

lets figure out some other heating options vs these blue flame heaters we have. Im tired of my bedding freezing to the wall due to condensation lol.
Check out http://offgridrving.com
--Update--
http://offgridrving.com has been transformed into Community Sites - where you can sign up for your very own project site, chronicle your experiences on the journey at http://offgridrving.com
Get your own space to post updates and pictures and even videos of your build.
Off Grid Rving
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion