Money and Weight

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Money and Weight

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:08 am

:D I am building my second teardrop. I live on a modest fixed income and my tow vehicle will be an underpowered 69 VW. I will share my building and towing experience as I go along. With the number of very small modern cars on the road and for those folks who can't afford to build an expensive Tear I hope this will help. One thing I have done is to make up and carry in my car a folder with picture and info on Tears. I show it to all who are interested. Take your trailer to work or to the store once and a while. You would be surprised at the interest this will generate. I don't understand some folks who knock the HF trailer. It is cost efficent and already legal. Saves a lot of time too. It can be modified to suit. For those who want bigger wheels a set of new hubs can be added later for about $50. $40 for a hinge? Nope. Local boat dealer has 2 inch aluminum at $1.50 ft or stainless at $7.50 ft. Put a strip of inner tube between hinge and body and you have a nice waterproof seal. Door handle. Storm door handle with lock at $9.50. Windows try mobile home supply for great prices. For this trailer I was given the 4 panel crank out windows from an old VW Kombi camper. Retro look, very functional and the price was right. Interior lights check ot your local auto salvage yard for those. On another note I would like to thank those who refered mere here as I have already coresponded with half the members here. I am the point of contact for the fledgling South-East Tears chapter of TearJerkers for those who are interested. No dues/no rules. AL G
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:29 pm

Al,
Looking foward to meeting you at Lake Stclair. Your suggestions are very good ones, keeping down the cost without losing quality. I know of no one that is not looking for that solution.
When we get together will discuss how to make that "under powered VW" a lot less so. They are a past passion of mine.
Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:51 am

Now Frank,

You're not thinking about a motor like you have in your purple monster for that VW, are you? :lol:

Mike...

Frank wrote:Al,
Looking foward to meeting you at Lake Stclair. Your suggestions are very good ones, keeping down the cost without losing quality. I know of no one that is not looking for that solution.
When we get together will discuss how to make that "under powered VW" a lot less so. They are a past passion of mine.
Frank
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Frank » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:29 pm

Mike,
Naw, :D but wouldn't that be a blast!, some unsupecting person picking on a little VW and get blowed away. :twisted: However one could easily double the HP that he has now, without much expense.

PS back during the young years really had fun with the Big V8's with a little Karman Ghia.
:lol:
All in Fun,

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:48 pm

Now don't get me going on VW's. My first love before Tears. Come on over and visit my favorite site. VolksRods.com AL G
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BufordT » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:57 am

That's a really cool site. Lots of vw's that look like the old hot rods of yesteryear.

Buford :twisted:

ALAN GEDDES wrote:Now don't get me going on VW's. My first love before Tears. Come on over and visit my favorite site. VolksRods.com AL G
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to General Discussion