Partial or Full Hatch?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Partial or Full Hatch?

Postby Forrest » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:35 pm

I've noticed some TDs have a full hatch that goes all the way to the floor of the galley. Others have a partial hatch that stops at about the counter, usually when the TD has a rounded stern, like a Modernistic/Cub.

What are your percieved benefits and costs of a partial vs. full hatch?
Forrest

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:41 pm

IMHO there is no real difference in the cost. When you have a curved bottom cuttiing your spars for the frame will be a little more difficult and you need to make sure you do not curve under too much or it will hit when you try to open it.

Personally I prefer the half hatch. That way the lower hatch can lift up and become a table as well.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Nick Taylor » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:47 pm

Typically the half hatch was to reduce the cost of the rig since lower cabinets typically didn't need to be constructed. Access through a door for storage was all that was needed. On the Scad-a-Bout trailers, the basic one came with a half hatch while the deluxe came with full hatch and cabinets.

One of the most interesting hatch designs I've ever seen is on this trailer. It has a rounded rear end with the lower section made into split doors with cabinets in them and a half hatch above. I could see making this design with flip up or flip over counters. Or making one single full width door with a flip up counter.

Oops, I guess I should have saved it for the design contest!

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby Scooter » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:54 pm

With my half hatch, the lower cabinets will open directly outside. They won't be recessed and intrude into the sleeping space. This will give 6'5" of sleeping space AND full size cabinets/galley.
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:05 pm

I think the ones with the split rear end are quite cool. I myself plan to have the full hatch but my design is a grasshopper so it is a little easier than yours. I think both are grate but I myself would go with the full hatch, just my two cent, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby R Keller » Sat Jul 10, 2004 3:32 am

Some arguments for the full height rear hatch:

1) only need to worry about weatherproofing the hatch, rather than the hatch and additional storage doors
2) more shade!
3) can store a large cooler below
4) cleaner design
5) need two people to install
6) can use larger rated gas hatch lifts
7) satisfaction from building/engineering big honkin' hatch rather than wimpy little one.

OK, so maybe the last 2 or 3 points are stretching a bit...

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby jay » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:42 am

what's easier to repair in the event of a STOP sign nudge from behind...?
jay
Donating Member

Postby Scooter » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:15 am

This is where I wish my tear was done so I could take pics and show what's rattling around in my little brain! :? Addressing a few points above:

The storage below my half hatch will hold a FULL SIZE Coleman cooler and other goodies.

I think it will prove quite weatherproof, at least as much as a full hatch...heck, folks are always talking about leaking hurricane hinges regardless of hatch style aren't they?

As for shade, here in TN it can be difficult to finding a sunny spot to camp in. We got more trees than Harper's has liver pills (retro joke for ya :lol: ). Love the desert BTW...can't wait to TD out west!

Cleaner design? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so can't say much about that one.

The door below the hatch will be one piece, running the width of the 4ft tear, and will double as a table top. Some sort of dowel pin arrangement will secure the door at the bottom and it will be secured at the top by the lip of the hatch. So, you must raise the hatch to free the door, much like the old Honeymoon House Trailer (that's where I got the idea). I think the one piece design will be simple, effective, easy to repair, and provide utility via table top usage.

I might go for the full hatch for teardrop number two, which is even deeper in the depths of my demented brain :twisted:
Scooter
500 Club

Your Design

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:06 am

tdthinker wrote:I think the ones with the split rear end are quite cool. I myself plan to have the full hatch but my design is a grasshopper so it is a little easier than yours. I think both are grate but I myself would go with the full hatch, just my two cent, bye

I am working on a grasshopper design can you share a drawing of yours?

Dee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:52 am

shure, I can even draw you up some.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby R Keller » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:20 pm

Scooter: would love to see your design when completed. Obviuusly some of the items in my list were meant tongue in cheek. But some were issues that I wrestled with as I was trying to decide whether to do a full or half height hatch on my trailer. Everyone's going to have their own design criteria and needs, so there will be lots of diffrent solutions...

One question, if the bottom hatch is full width and folds out to become a table top, how do you access the galley countertop when the table is up? Doesn't that become quite a stretch? And then you have to take eveything off of the table to close it and get closer to the countertop. Conversely, if the table/bottom hatch is down and somebody is standing at the countertop using the sink, there is no way to access the cooler? Perhaps there are ways around this?

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:31 pm

Wow that split door rear is exceptionally clever. I will have to try that in one of my designs.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Scooter » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:00 pm

I hear ya Rik, some of that design stuff has put me in a tizzy many times and it's not half done yet. There are soooo many ways to build a tear, it's hard to settle on just one!

My rear lower cabinet door won't be hinged at all, it will come completely off the back of the tear. For stowage and travel, it will have dowels on the bottom edge that are inserted into the floor, and the top edge will be secured by the hatch lid closing. At least that's the plan right now.

Here's a cross section I sketched a few weeks ago to get it all clear in my mind. Nothing is to scale, so think of it as a napkin sketch. (Door will have some external trim which is omitted from drawing.) Sorry for the poor image quality.

Scooter
500 Club

Return to General Discussion