Nano Weekender: becomes a mockup

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Nano Weekender

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Strangelymade wrote:
Cheers for that. Don't think we can HF trailers over here in the UK, what's the dimensions of it? so I can build an equivalent.

It's a 4x8 trailer with about 15 1/4" cut off. But of course your metric plywood sizes are different.

So if I were you, I'd draw the profile on a sheet of metric plywood, to determine the length of the trailer. The width of the trailer will be equal to the width of the plywood.

Mike...

P.S. You'll want to make your tongue a little longer if you want to add a standard tongue box...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Painted with white paint! :D

That's it for this weekend!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:06 pm

That's a nice looking trailer. ...Good Drafting Job! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:42 pm

//mike can you do the skeych up with the prefab doors like on a lil guy? I'm trying to talk the other half into letting me do this on the trailer of my DoDropIn lil tear, I'm going to be tearing it apart this winter anyway and the frame is already that short!

Cliff :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Strangelymade » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:51 am

mikeschn wrote:It's a 4x8 trailer with about 15 1/4" cut off. But of course your metric plywood sizes are different.

So if I were you, I'd draw the profile on a sheet of metric plywood, to determine the length of the trailer. The width of the trailer will be equal to the width of the plywood.

Mike...

P.S. You'll want to make your tongue a little longer if you want to add a standard tongue box...

Cheers Mike, the oddity of buying wood over here is we use both metric and imperial for example, it's normal to as for a 3 meter length of 2" by 4" , and ply gets even better :)
Strangelymade
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:48 am

Strangelymade wrote:Don't think we can HF trailers over here in the UK, what's the dimensions of it? so I can build an equivalent.

We can get a similar kit - but it costs $500 for the 1200lb model:
http://www.all-about-the-home.co.uk/wil ... -140-p.asp

So it's probably no more expensive to get a local fabricator to make a custom chassis.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Strangelymade » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:32 am

Thanks angib, very handy that is, Bookmarked that link for future reference. Did think about building the trailer myself, but buying a kit in isn't that more expensive so might be worth it.

(having problem keeping logged onto the site, so might be long delays in replies)
Strangelymade
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jonw » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi Mike -

Have you thought of making the front more of a V nose instead of a flat panel(s)? I've found a lot of new vehicles bring the wind close in behind themselves as a way of increasing gas mileage, but when towing a TD the winds hit smack in the front of it.

On my CRV I lose about 10 mpg towing my small 700lb. teardrop. Behind my miata (which is much shorter in height) I only lose about 4-5 mpg. Both vehicles have 2 litre 4 cylinder engines. The difference is the wind management (or lack thereof).

I'm currently working on building a detachable "nose" for the front curve that will deflect the wind around the sides of my teardrop.

You could accomplish the same thing by making the front surfaces of your weekender a mild V-nose, maybe as Jenn suggested bringing the front top section angle (with a nose) all the way down to the tongue. Inside of it could be storage. Without a curved front this should be pretty easy and straightforward to do.

Just an idea... :D
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:51 pm

It's a good idea actually, Jon. I was thinking about trying to do a tongue box that integrates that feature.

What I don't want to do is add too much detail to the cabin body. I'd still like to be able to build it in a "long" weekend.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 am

:) :applause: I like it and if you didn't cut off that 15" of trailer there is room for a tongue box. I think you need to move the axle back though...not awake yet though. ;)

uh yeah, tongue box....Didn't Ira do one and find he was hitting the corners when backing a hard turn...

btw you can get an extended receiver for those short tongues at Harbor Freight. Making backing so much easier.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:15 am

One critique for the tongue box to open fully it needs to be further forward on the tongue or the front wall needs to be perpendicular. The advantage of having it further forward is that storage can be had with the existing design. In this a 6" and 4" PVC pipe holds tent/awning poles and sewer hose.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 am

seems to be going from a simple nano weekender to a more complicated one.
couple three sheets of plywood presto you have a trailer.
just me being me.
pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jonw » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 am

I roughly modified Mike's rendering to illustrate what I was thinking about for a nose. The nose would simply be flat panels of plywood (or whatever) that goes to a mild point to divert the wind. These could be in addition to or instead of (my choice) the flat front top and bottom panels.

Some additional possibilities shown in this drawing are:
  • adding a door on one side of the bottom of the nose to provide tongue box-like storage for fold-up chairs, side awnings, etc.
  • putting a shelf/floor above the storage area to give more usable and accessible storage space to the headboard storage compartment(s)
Attachments
Nano_weekender1.jpg
Nano_weekender1.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 86219 times
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Jon,

That looks pretty good.

Here is something I modeled last night, but I'm not real happy with it. (Which is why I didn't post it last night)

I plan on modeling your concept to see how it looks!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rmclarke » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:01 pm

this is what I did....Image
the top is not hinged; it lifts off, held in place by two padlocks. Inside is a marine battery, an inverter, all my electrical cables, short garden hose, wheel chocks, jack stands, and miscellaneous tools....it's not real big but it works for us

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals