Anybody doing any Prepping??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Anybody doing any Prepping??

Postby jeff0520 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:59 am

marshall0000 wrote:There is zero empirical data that suggests this would be a good idea, so no. Every generation has felt the end is near, and every generation so far has been wrong. Nix the melodrama.

Two years ago, here in North Alabama there was a tornado outbreak. It wasn't widely reported for fear of causing a panic, but Brown's Ferry Nuclear Power Plant was hit. The reactor itself did fine, and went into automatic shutdown, but the giant field of transformers, power lines, and switching equipment that tied Brown's Ferry into the national grid was wiped off the map. Briwn's Ferry also serves as the nexus for the whole power grid in North Alabama. Much of that equipment was custom built, and off-the-shelf parts could not fix it. Replacements had to be custom built. We were without power for 10 days. There was a BIG problem with looting, and the police were unable to do much on pitch black streets.
Zombie apocolypes? NO. End of the world? Unlikely. Natural disaster disrupting power, communication and food supplies for a few weeks? Happens all the time, all over the country. It's just a matter of time. We were prepared, so we had heat, light, food, and entertainment to wait it out. No melodrama. Simply fact. At some point, you WILL have to deal with some sort of local emergency that will cut off your power and access to local food supplies. Just be ready. If you are, you can take care of your family and reach out to your neighbors too.
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby marshall0000 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Hey everybody have fun and do what you do. Me, I didn't even buy a battery or a bottle of water during the Y2K scare. I have way more important things to worry about than any of the unlikely scenarios. One can "what if" themselves crazy. Just my opinion of course.
marshall0000
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Roo Dog » Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 pm

I think you prepare to what misfortunes you can reasonably expect for the situation you happen to be in.
We live in a rather benign climate, gets a bit windy at worst, occasional wildfire, no civil disturbance or riots, the likelihood of a baddy coming through the front door is very remote.
It is a friendly relaxed small coastal community where people help each other as a matter of course.
Hence our level of prepping is quite low.
We do not prep for space rocks or nuclear attacks though I suspect my attitude would be a bit different if I lived in a full on big city environment.
I no longer own a firearm, there was a time a rifle was part of the tool kit as I oft times found myself working in remote locations. No danger from people , handy to get something for the pot or putting down a roo that you may have injured on the track.
Horses for courses.

Take it easy.

RD
Lets do a three sixty and get out of here !
Roo Dog
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion