Anybody doing any Prepping??

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Anybody doing any Prepping??

Postby Scooter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:41 pm

Has anyone mentioned cash? Wouldn't hurt to seal a bundle of greenbacks in a PVC pipe and bury it in the backyard. Esp since it doesn't earn squat sitting in a savings or checking account these days.
The RoadCamper the old teardrop
Scooter
500 Club

Postby CARS » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Scooter wrote:Has anyone mentioned cash? Wouldn't hurt to seal a bundle of greenbacks in a PVC pipe and bury it in the backyard. Esp since it doesn't earn squat sitting in a savings or checking account these days.

If the $hit hits the fan, paper is useless in my mind. Heck, given the uncertainty of any of the world's governments I wouldn't even trust cash next year. I think that is why preparers deal in gold and silver.
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby doitright » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:00 am

I do prep. I prep in a way that dose not cost lots of money as I do not have it to spent. I have 165 gal of water stored because I got 3 55 gal. SS tanks given to me I have 6 mo of charcole because at laborday it was offered two for one at Lowes {stored in plastic tanks from the swimming pool free}. I have food because my grandmother always canned food for the winter. Hey it is to last from one garden season to another so cann it. Also I have a generator for work and it will run my heat as long as we have N/G and have mr buddy heater and propane. That leads me to propane got a 250 gal tank {empty now} but would like to fill and I also have a hang on the wall hearter for N/G and LP 30,000 btu heater that needs no elec. I would rater use it for heat than the central and generator so I could use the gen for the ref and freezer. We buy food and cand goods only when on sale and buy a case at a time when it is on sale so we have lots of food stored up I guess it would last maybe 6 mo. at best. As far as housing we have a 12 ' camper and a 24' camper and five tents and three screen houses and one EZ up . This is stuff I just got and never got rid of.
As far as helping others I will do it I have always helped others but what burns my buns others have said in a joke hell he has it all we are going to him if SHTF . That just hit me wrong they are not going to do anything so they are just going to come here where do I draw the line?
doitright
REAR DOOR CAMPER
1959 REAR DOOR SCOTTY
doitright
The 300 Club

Postby Roo Dog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:15 am

The only prepping I do is bending exercises.
If it ever got that bad all I want to be able to do is bend far enough to kiss my ass goodbye.

Take it easy.

RD
Roo Dog

Postby Rhino Ray » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:18 am

You just got to do it and not let anyone know about it.
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Roo Dog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:48 am

RR,

What prepping, or kissing my ass goodbye ?

Take it easy.

RD
Roo Dog

Postby Rhino Ray » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:02 am

Perhaps both! :roll: :thinking: :worship:
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:10 am

Prepping for the zombie epocolypse or the end of the world? No, but absolutely fro everyday catastrophes. As a former safety director, and just someone who has lived long enough to do and witness stupid careless thongs, a little prep can save your life. My husband and i have gone on a nice drive out in the desert to birdwatch and been stuck in the mud from a recent flood. 8 miles from town and not a shovel or even a flash light. Only thing that keep up from walking 8 miles back to town instead of 3 was good cell service. My husband has been stuck up in the Nevada desolated hills more than once. @ 20 years ago i put together emergency kits for each car and cars for each of my kids when they got cars. I used a plan i got from a 4H National conference I attended years ago for a 3 day emergency kit. It was taught by a member of the LDS church who are the experts in food storage and preparation.

I appreciate this thread as it has reminded me it has been more than a year since i updated them and I need to do tat. I a m going to change out the food, however, for the concentrated food bars like those found at www.beprepared.com.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Roo Dog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:33 am

Nevadatear,

My previous remarks aside.

I have to agree. I do not prep for the ultimate event but do try to cover most bases, had too, not a lot of help about the shop at times.
Good preparation is the message as you say.

Take it easy.

RD
Roo Dog

Postby nevadatear » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:56 pm

FYI, I found my old "recipe" for 3 day emergency kit to make yourself. I would now replace the food with commercial food replacement bars that will last 5 years can be up to 2400 calories. But, if you want DYI, here you go.

Emergency Three-Day Survival Kit (replace food yearly)

FOOD

3-4 Granola Bars
1-2 pkg. instant oatmeal
2-3 pieces jerky (small to medium size)
3 pkg. Hot chocolate mix
1 can prepared meal (pork and beans/mac and cheese/ravioli or the like with easy open top.
Prefer metal can if your cup is plastic so you can heat it up)
6 crackers (3 pkg. of 2 like at the restaurant)
18 pieces of hard candy
1 pkg. gum (at least 6 sticks)
2 pkg. fruit snack (roll-up, dried fruit etc)
1 small can or plastic container of fruit (mandarin oranges, peaches, pears)
2 boxes or pouches of fruit juice or drink
2 pkg. dry soup mix or ramen
If you have room: 1 can Slimfast, Ensure or other complete meal drink, extra prepared
meal, small (6-8 oz) water.

1-2 liters water

MINI FIRST AID KIT

4 Band-Aids 5 4 x 4 gauze pads
5 Alcohol prep pads 5 wet-wipes (or small bottle hand cleaner)
Small scissors (or swiss army knife) Tweezers (or swiss army knife)
3-4 Cough drops Aspirin, Advil, Tylenol (several pills of each)
Gauze wrap or self-adhesive wrap Small tube Vaseline
½” or 1” tape Gloves
Antibiotic packet Kelly clamp (optional)

MACGUIVER KIT

Solar blanket Small Swiss army knife
Whistle Pad and pencil/pen
Water purification tablets Sewing kit (hotel give-away size)
1-2 liters water Soap (hotel give-away size)
Waxed matches Safety pins
1 cup (preferably metal with handle to heat in) Rubber bands
1 spoon/fork Lotion (hotel give-away size)
1 can sterno or 3-4 small heating candles Light stick
Flashlight and batteries (stored separately)
Garbage bag
Kleenex
String/small rope
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Roo Dog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Nevadatear,

Interesting list.
Well thought out.
Mine varies on where and when.

Take it easy.

RD
Roo Dog

Postby stumphugger » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:45 pm

I carried a lot of that around with me in my work pickup. I put in a container of instant coffee and had a pot to cook stuff in. I even thought about cigarettes and chew because there was a good chance of being marooned with a logging crew and I've seen what happens when the nicotene runs out. It isn't pretty. But I didn't add those things and I never was marooned.
stumphugger
500 Club

Postby Rhino Ray » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Got my teardrop loaded and fully stocked. Never thought I would need to have a kit in my car but it is a good idea. :thinking: I do carry a first aid kit, snow chains, jumper cables and a small tool kit for road side emergencies. :thumbsup: I don't go anywhere without my PDA though. 8) I'm fairly well set unless we get hit with some major disaster, then that gives me more to think about. :thinking: :frightened: Just one more thing to do. :roll:

Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby Roo Dog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 pm

Stumpy,

We got low on water on a drilling job on the edge of the Great Sandy Desert in Western Australia back a bit.
We had enough for drinking but washing became a thing of the past.
Found a waterhole on the way out, it was a wee bit muddy but it was the next best thing to sliced bread from our point of view, even the dog dived in. He was not too impressed when a cake of soap appeared.
Even today I tend to carry too much water, you can manage without grub but the lack of water is the killer.
A HF radio was the go back then, sat phones are a lot better than the old HF.

Take it easy

RD
Roo Dog

Postby Rlowell » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:06 am

I do keep the Ketza ready to "bu out". Canned food, gas, stoves...,radio, battery lights, gas lamps, extra clothes, bedding, tool kit, and a lot of misc. "stuff".
It would take me about ten minutes to be on the road. Self protection is part of the "toolKit".

There are still additional items that I need to add but I do have the basics.

Rod
Plan your work...work your plan...at least that's the plan. Oh, just do it anyway!
gallery/image_page.php?album_id=1425&image_id=76342
Rlowell
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion