Single Axle vs. Tandem Axle

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Single Axle vs. Tandem Axle

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:35 pm

I haven't seen very many tandem axle TD's except for the larger ones.
My Brother-In-Law strongly recomends that I go with a tandem axle. He told me that if I have a tire failure on a single axle, it could take the tow vehicle with it. Has anyone considered a tandem for this reason?

BTW I'm in the planning stages right now and to make a long story short, I plan on having a killer galley that sleeps 3-4 and will haul at least two canoes or kayaks. I sure like the Brinkmann Barbeque Trailers, now I gotta just figure out how to add sleeping quarters and add boat racks.
It will most probably be an extended version of a tear, because of the length of the boats. Here's a shot of the Brinkmann Trailer:(Please Don't Laugh)
http://store5.yimg.com/I/yhst-12168110897424_1801_52058
O.K. The galley wont be this big, but it will have a Brinkmann type of smoker. I've discovered the art of cooking with smoke and I take it very seriously.

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:34 pm

I'd suggest you sleep in the front smoker, and your wife in the rear smoker!!! :lol:

As for teardrops with tandem axles, typically no. Teardrops are for the most part simple, light, small, and single axle. And if you have a light teardrop behind a substantial vehicle, a blowout is a nothing!!!

If you really want to build a small travel trailer that has the rounded curves like a teardrop, you might look at the maxitear http://www.maxitear.com/maxitear/MaxiTear.html or angib's 2+2 design
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear47.htm

Mike...

P.S. I use to be a serious smoker too, but I've gotten away from it...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:52 pm

Thanks Mike,
The 2+2 looks good, the Maxi Tear seems a bit big. I'm kicking around so many ideas in my head right now, I can't list them all. I am considering something like the 2+2 that will have a way to add extra height, like maybe a telescoping system. I'm also considering using those heavy duty slide mounts on many of the features. I'm going to try and keep this thing at or below 2000 lbs. I've been reading all the posts (whew!) and I'm sure that I will keep refining things into a smaller space. Gotta keep the length of the boats (17-18') the same. Myself and another fellow boatbuilder discovered this site and I would like to thank you for having this resource available.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby mexican tear » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:15 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA

check your PM
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:23 pm

Mexican Tear,
I checked my Private Messages and there are no new messages in my in box.
If you sent me a message, it might still be in your out box or you hit the preview button instead of the submit button.

Postby Grant » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:51 pm

Dean & All!

There is a new roof-rack system out now that will allow the hauling boats and cargo over 8' long on almost any teardrop. It's called the Talon Rack, and adapts to any round or square crossbar assembly. The unique feature of this system is that it allows you to slide the entire load off to one side of the trailer/vehicle (and down to about chest height, for easier loading/unloading) - a quick twist of the system lock and pull the rack out, and you have unobstructed access to the rear hatch area. VERY cool, and extremely practical for our use, even if a little spendy (about $500 retail). Ask your local kayak dealer about 'em. I'd give you their website, but the info is in my shop. I'll be puting this system on my Off-Road Benroy project this Fall/Winter for use with a two-person kayak and 12' cartop sailboat. Because my trailer is 54" wide and the crossbars are 60", I'll even have room for a stationary bike-rack mount!

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:33 pm

Thanks Grant,
I'm going check out those racks!
Does it kinda bug you too, when the press refers to SF as Northern California? I guess that makes us Extreme Northern California. When I meet people from down south, some of them think that I live in the Redwood Park, because in their minds, that's all there is up north. I've had people seriously ask me if there are only thirty Old Growths left standing. I tell them that if they had an air plane they might be able to fly over all of the remaining stands in a day.
I'm sure that it was at one of your gatherings that I was introduced to tear drops five or six (?) years ago. Do you know Dan Davis (Redding) or a guy from a place in LA called Esoteric Sign Co.? (I can't remember that guy's name) It's just a shot in the dark, but as memory serves me... Dan had me come over to Redding to show his friend from the sign company a thing or two about carving glass and his friend was at the tear drop gathering. Dan also knew someone involved with the gathering. We talked about doing a tear drop, but I was too busy with commercial work at the time.

Postby Chip » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:36 pm

unless you really consider the size and location of the dual axle set up you may well run out of room for any thing other than a really short door,,and moving the axles back could result in a heavier than expected tongue weight,,I am not suggesting it cant be done just giving ya some things to consider,,it would be an interesting project to follow,,keep us in the loop

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Grant » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:17 pm

Hi, Dean!

"I'm sure that it was at one of your gatherings that I was introduced to tear drops five or six (?) years ago. Do you know Dan Davis (Redding) or a guy from a place in LA called Esoteric Sign Co.? "

Both ring a bell way in the back of my head, but if folks don't stay in touch, well you know how that can go! Glad to see you've found your way back to terdrops!

" Does it kinda bug you too, when the press refers to SF as Northern California?"

It bugs me when the press refers to BAKERSFIELD as Northern California! It's one of the reasons I like to say I'm from the REAL Nor-Cal - you know, ABOVE Sacramento. Lately, though, I've been claiming to be from the far southern reaches of the Free State of Jefferson! Check us out at www.jeffersonstate.com and see if you don't agree ...

Good Luck on your upcoming project! In the meantime ...

CHEERS!

Grant

p.s. - BTW, next time you're near Redding, give a call and I'll show you 'round my new shop, and kock about a few ideas.
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:05 pm

Grant,
That is one awesome site!!
Yaa, we are definately outvoted and under represented.
I really like the double-cross thing with the two X's.
You know, when I meet people from other parts of the country, I'm embarresed to tell them that I'm from California. I always feel compelled to tell them that I'm from Southern Oregon. So I go into this little ten minute speel, so they know exatlly where Eureka is and what the situation is with the voting thing with all the mass's of people living in the southern part of the state. It's kinda fun now, because I'll start talkin' like "Ahnold!"
I think that the only way we could get leverage is to somehow have control our water supplies heading south. (Whoops, I better stop now)

Yaa, I'll look you up when I get over that way. I like to hit Home Depot and take the kids over to the water slides once in a while.

Hey those Talon sideload racks are the ticket. I see that they conjoin with a Yakima or Thule rack.
Hmmm... I just did up a scale drawing with a 17 1/2' canoe mounted on the trailer. BTW, I gotta finish buildng the canoe before I start building the trailer. It looks like this trailer is going to be a bit longer that the average tear. Hmmm... maybe the pop out hot tub can go here! :lol:

Postby tdthinker » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:43 pm

I love that twin axel one that looks like a space ship. That is cool. Isnt it to big for a pt cruiser?
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to General Discussion