Cheapest way to insulate?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Cheapest way to insulate?

Postby NathanL » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:04 pm

I used blue dow foam on the sides and top. 3/4" in the sides and 2 layers of 3/4 in the top for 1-1/2". That's a R-value of 8" in the roof with 2 layers plus the R-value of your headlinger and exterior covering. I paid around $75 for all the foam I used in a 5' wide by 9'-6" long trailer.
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:49 pm

I used 2 inches of the pink sheet foam in the walls and roof and I can't believe how warm the trailer is. In fact, on our last trip, it got a bit too warm and we had to figure out how to vent the trailer without opening the top vent in the cold rain. Thank goodness I put windows in on both sides. I feel confident about staying warm in any type of weather. I do have a small catalytic heater inside to warm things up but I've never run it for more than 20 minutes before shutting it down and staying warm for the rest of the night.

It sounds like you may be a bit too far along now to change wall thickeness but if you can, I'd recommend putting in the foam sheets. I think I paid 17.00 for a 2" thick 4x8 sheet
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DriverOne » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:45 am

eddie6775 wrote:I e-mailed this company today with an inquiry. Interesting... :thinking:

http://www.greeninsulationgroup.com/terms.php

That is now saved to my favorites, thank you!
Image There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!" Image
DriverOne
Teardrop Master

Postby pohukai » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:30 pm

My insulation was free. A company I do work for had received marble table tops that were packaged in Styrofoam blocks 3"x 3'x3'. I got about 4 or 5 blocks. I cut them up and placed them in the roof. I used their old convention booth which was a kind of corrugated plastic board covered with a black cloth for the interior walls.

I haven't camped in it yet and don't plan on using it in temps below 30 degrees but besides the insulation, it will cut down on campground noise and rain noise. We'll see.
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 pm

If you live near fernley, nv., Rmax has a manufacturing plant there. You can get end run pieces, slight defects for cheap. My husband did his machine shop addition for cheap. I'm sure other plants do the same. http://www.rmax.com/manufacturing-plants.asp
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
Owner,Desert Metal Products. Custom machine shop. Inventory of thousands of bearings and seals, from the common to the archaic.
ImageImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion