New (to us) Tow Vehicle

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

New (to us) Tow Vehicle

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:51 pm

This morning we picked up this 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 at the auto auction. Only 113K miles, 3.9L V6 Magnum engine, tow capacity 3750#, really clean inside and out, no rust, runs great, and I think we got a great deal on it.

We're pretty excited because we were originally planning to use our Jeep Wrangler (1990), which we love, as our tow vehicle, but we were a little concerned about the weight of the trailer, especially in hilly areas. (Sometimes the Jeep has trouble getting her OWN WEIGHT up a hill.)

We have also been using the Jeep for the past 3 years to launch and retrieve our 17.5' fishing boat, but at 2500 pounds for boat and trailer, it was really more than the poor old Jeep should have been asked to do (especially at her age).

We have had the Jeep since new and she has served us well for 23 years, but it's time she got to relax and take it a little easier. This truck will be just right for the two things we need to tow with it, without being more than we need. We're also jazzed about having more room for our bikes and camping equipment without having to find ways to cram everything either into or onto the teardrop. And NO TRUCK PAYMENT. Life is good.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Re: New (to us) Tow Vehicle

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:29 pm

Good looking truck, and it isn't even broke in yet. That should solve your towing problem. My Wrangler struggled to tow my tear last summer and has been retired/replaced with a new one.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Welcome to the pickup club. I think you'll really like the added room in the bed when camping as well as the towing capacity. My Dodge has 195,000 on it and I'm trying to get at least 300,000 out of it.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby BobBash » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Congratulations on the great find ! I'm facing the same issue as you are as far as a tow vehicle goes . I keep going back & forth between looking for a minivan , a full size truck or maybe an SUV . My tear ( when built ), should weigh around 1100 lbs & I want to be able to tow it with ease . If I found a nice used truck like yourself I think I would like to have a locking cap on the bed . Again , congrats on the nice find ............
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:54 pm

I was actually very surprised that we bought a car at an auction. But this particular auction house guarantees the engine and tranny. That certainly doesn't cover everything, by any means, but it eliminates a couple of very large and potentially expensive worries.

Bruce, 300k sounds good. We would really be getting our monies worth if it lasted that long.

Steve, did you get another Jeep? A different model? A bigger engine? Or did you get something else?
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:09 pm

Hello Becky: It looks like you did good there on your purchase of the "Ram" pick-up. You will love the truck for pulling your teardrop. You can put most of your things in the bed and just the essentials in the teardrop. This will keep it (teardrop) lite and it will tow that much easier. We bought a 18 foot travel trailer and we needed a truck to pull it with. I found one that needed a transmission for a very low price. I am a certified master auto technician, so I rebuilt it myself. I sold my car that we used to tow our teardrop with because my wife has a newer car. Insurance is so high so we are a two vehicle family and didn't need my old car. We used the truck to tow the teardrop a couple of times and it was as if I was not towing anything. I bought a used camper shell for it for $80 and now everything stays nice and dry.

You will be glad you got that truck. They are so versatile. Have fun with it... :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Congratulations, Becky! :thumbsup: Trucks are nice. Even though I love my Jeep, I miss the convenience of the truck bed and shell.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Yea Becky, I went with a new Wrangler. It has about 85 more HP and a 5 speed transmission. This year I am planning a summer trip to Colorado with some other Jeep Teardroppers and want to be able make the grades and do some of the trails in the Ouray Silverton area.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby indycamper » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:15 am

What a great find!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Oldragbaggers » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:36 am

An $80 camper shell sounds great. But, would we still be able to get the bikes in the bed with a camper shell? We have fairly tall bikes so that would be the only problem with a shell. Getting the bikes off of the teardrop was one of the big draws to getting a truck. And where ever the teardrop goes, the bikes will be going also.

Steve, I am so jealous. I love the new Wrangers. The 4-door with the hardtop almost looks like a Hummer now. Very cool. Let me know how it works out as a tow vehicle. Although I doubt Lance will ever part with his old Wrangler. He loves that thing. Just got a new transmission, brakes, tires and paint job. This year it will be new seats, all terrain floor mats and a new cover. Heaven knows what's next. I tell him I'm going to bury him in it when he goes. Just dig a big hole, sit him in the driver's seat, put it in neutral and push it in. The idea of spending eternity in his Jeep suits him just fine.
:)
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:46 am

Oldragbaggers wrote:
Steve, I am so jealous. I love the new Wrangers. The 4-door with the hardtop almost looks like a Hummer now. Very cool. Let me know how it works out as a tow vehicle. Although I doubt Lance will ever part with his old Wrangler. He loves that thing. Just got a new transmission, brakes, tires and paint job. This year it will be new seats, all terrain floor mats and a new cover. Heaven knows what's next. I tell him I'm going to bury him in it when he goes. Just dig a big hole, sit him in the driver's seat, put it in neutral and push it in. The idea of spending eternity in his Jeep suits him just fine.
:)

Becky, You sound like a hopeless romantic. :lol: Anyone that would honor her husbands final wish, a Jeep burial, is very special. Just make sure you remove the plates so you can have them transfered to your new 4 door Wrangler.

I really wanted to keep my old one, I actually still have it. If I can't sell it, I may keep it.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby WhitneyK » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 pm

At one time I saw were you could get an add on for the camper shell that would allow you to unlatch one side and hinge it up to make it easier to access the bed of the truck. If I can find a link, I'll post it.

See you at CRA, NEIGHBOR!
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby KE5PPH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Nothing about looking like a hummer is good or cool. :thumbdown: if you are having that much trouble pulling a tear drop, you should Regear it. :twisted:
it came from the factory with a set-up for the most economy, with just 2 people in it.
Mark
KE5PPH
Travel'n Gadget Show
04.5 LJ
KE5PPH
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:18 pm

If you were referring to me , my Jeep has been regeared with 4:56 gears. It has an automatic and hunts overdrive in the hills, and minor hills at that. It just was not meant to tow. Stock from the factory, with 3:73 gear's it would hunt overdrive on a flat expressway into a strong wind. I made it to the top of the mountain without a trailer behind with no trouble. The added drag of a small teardrop did it in.

Sorry Becky, I did not mean to hi jack.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Not at all, Steve. I meant to start a conversation, and it goes where it goes. It's all good!!
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion