Two Questions for Tiny Yellow Teardrop Blog

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Two Questions for Tiny Yellow Teardrop Blog

Postby Christina » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:36 am

Hello. I am looking to write two new posts for my teardrop trailer blog and would love to get some input from the forum's experts. I may contact you later on for some additional information or quotes:

1. What are the pros and cons of installing a sink in your teardrop galley? Does anyone have any experiences with a sink that are either good or bad?

2. What is the name of your teardrop and why did you name it that?

Thanks for the input and thanks for reading!

Christina
http://www.tinyyellowteardrop.blogspot.com

:)
Christina
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Two Questions for Tiny Yellow Teardrop Blog

Postby bobhenry » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 am

If you go to the upper right hand of the index screen you will see a search box if you type in sink you will get 3361 threads with sink in the text of the thread.

This "sink or no sink" debate has gone on for over a decade on this forum. The paper plate crowd think sinks are a pain and then there are others of us who utilize ours. This addition can become time consuming on the build portion of the trailer but it's all in what you want.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 am

My thoughts on the sink issue (posted previously in the "How do you keep in simple" thread):

"As for the plumbing.....we had a sink, hand pump and tanks on most of our boats. The sinks were barely big enough to wash a coffee cup in, the manual pumps were slow and needed to be rebuilt constantly. On a boat where you may be away from land and a source to refill your small water tanks the slow pumps can be a good thing because it keeps you from wasting water, but whenever we were anywhere that I could hook up a garden hose I always ended up doing dishes in the cockpit in dishpans. I had more room to work and wasn't taking up space and splashing water all over the counters inside the boat. I decided dishpans and the hose or portable jugs would suit me just fine in the teardrop as well. And the dishpans take up no room in transit because you can store other things in them."

That being said, if I had a bigger trailer and could easily afford the counter and storage space that the tanks, plumbing and a decent sized sink would occupy I would have most likely installed it. But with a 4-1/2' wide trailer it just didn't seem worth it.

Our teardrop is named the Sagwagon. For those who might not know, a sagwagon is a support vehicle used during bicycle races/tours. Our teardrop will be just that, a support vehicle for our bicycle trips, kayak adventures, travels, and quiet getaways.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:28 am

Well I thought we would have a sink in Miss Piggy just because most teardrops I had seen in the past had one.
Assumed it was part of the build. :thinking:
But once I statred reading the comments here on the Forum, I changed my mind. And so far I am glad I did!
It was less work in the build, saved money, took up less of our much valued space, and gives us mor flexibility at clean up time.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
Love your Blog Site. :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:52 am

We are installing a sink in ours.

Firstly the grill sink drainer arrangement came out of the donor van, secondly it gives us the flexibility to wash up etc away from the mad scrum at the ablutions block, where we will be mainly using it will be at kitcar shows where there are upwards of 300 people camping.

The td is called Tangerine Dreamer, tangerine because it will be orange to match the TV (see avatar), which my dad kaapes calling the tangerine, and dreamer as the main function of the teardrop is as a bed where you "sleep perchance to dream" and there was a band in the 70's or 80's that was called Tangerine Dream and it just kind of popped into my head and has stuck
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Postby nevadatear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:48 pm

No sink. Not enough room to do dishes so save the counter space and storage space. We use two dishpan method, although i just made a pvc sink garbage combo to use with the weed sprayer hot water heater.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364233461.712308.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364233461.712308.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364233495.763451.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364233495.763451.jpg (150.12 KiB) Viewed 2031 times

Name: monstro for the whale in Pinocchio. We felt the profile of our tear resembled a whale, our daughter the English teacher gave him his name. Whale theme of course.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364233680.472028.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364233680.472028.jpg (106.47 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:49 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364233789.854727.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364233789.854727.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:00 pm

After discussion and reading the forum, yes the whole thing!!! I decided not to put a sink in. The way I have been doing dishes was fine. efficient and even perfect for places that say don't dump food waste water or grey water. My biggest challenge was to come up with a way to contain and to be able to drain said grey water and even that is not so difficult, a five gallon bucket. a little plumbing fixture a hose and straight to a drain station. As far as a name haven't got there yet but it is showing some possibilities. Good luck!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Mary, do you have pics anywhere of your build? A build journal? You know how nosey we are and how we all love pictures.
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:22 pm

No sink in the teardrop. She's named "Solitude", 1. After a sign in my favorite O. Winston Link photo, and 2. That's what we're looking for after working in jobs surrounded by lots and lots of people, 8 hours of every work day.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby PKCSPT » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Didn't want a sink, mostly eat sandwiches or finger food when I go out so usually I just put it on paper towel. A wet wipe cleans up a knife and I am good to go. My idea of teardrop camping is how can I make it even simpler.

As for the name, my husband named it DoodleBug cause I tow it with VW Bug and it just doodles along with me. Funny thing is he named it but will never camp in it (doesn't like camping).
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:41 pm

no build journal yet, I am working on it, I am keeping notes and will post soon. it will be in the foamie section

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Festus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:26 pm

No sink. I couldn't justify it. I mostly boondock, and take along a 7 gallon water jug purchased from Wal Mart. It works fine for me. I have more counter space and storage space in the galley, which was more important to me than a sink was.

I named mine "Towed Abode", but usually we just refer to it as "the teardrop".
Festus
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 am

Yes we have a sink with pull out sprayer faucet and a six gallon gas electric water heater. Nancy Loves it because meal cleanup takes no more time than at home.
Our trailer is a Compass Rose, a map reference and symbolizes travel. A friend designed the avatar/logo that you see to the left. My thinking was that distinct graphics help in theft prevention. This is carried over into the quilt inside and a brass compass rose in the galley.

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 am

Your teardrop is very nice, Shadow Catcher, and I love the compass rose (must be a "sailing thing.")
Becky

Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion