Tear drop vs pop up

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Tear drop vs pop up

Postby deleted » Sat May 25, 2013 9:12 am

I was trying to keep my trailer weight under 1000 lbs so I wouldn't have to upgrade or strain my tow vehicle. My builder Fred (Alaska Teardrop here on the forum) currently has this 525 lb trailer listed for sale here on the forum: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=52370

I was able to hire him to build a custom design (smaller than the Northern Lite Traveler) I came up with. If you want to see how he keeps the weight so low all of the build details are in my album (gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0 just keep clicking "next" on the bottom right of each page to see the build from end to beginning) or here or on my blog (http://theflirtyguide.blogspot.com/sear ... 0-%20Build). His trailers are lightweight but sturdily built. I was lucky to meet him.
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Sat May 25, 2013 4:28 pm

People generally think that a pop up is lightweight because of it's low profile, but as it has been mentioned before, they are much heavier. That can be a big factor. Also you have to consider that a popup is going to be built like any other mass produced camper, cheap looking cabinets and dorky wallpaper etc. If you build a teardrop, (I assume you were considering a build), then you would most likely build it to your styling and a much higher quality. I started with a teardrop, and have moved into the tiny trailer world. I would go no bigger than a small 10' trailer, and am gutting them of all the 1970's junk and rebuilding the interior from the studs up with my own floor plan and materials. You might consider an older small hard sided camper that you can totally rebuild if the wifey wants to stand up. Just thought I'd toss that out since that style hasn't been mentioned.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby nuyork212 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Thanks Again...Great to read the response... I visited a RV place today and looked at a pop-up trailer... Nice looking on the inside but not to crazy with the canvas...
Now I am a big guy but I did not feel comfortable putting my head on a bed that is held by two bars... oh no.....

I saw a tear drop ( forgot what company ) but it had the fancy stuff in it stove,table, shower, toilet....but it looked tight..again a big guy like me that would not be good...That is like me in a smart car.... its not a match...

anyway I just ran into a tear drop that caught my eye and budget.... so looking to deal this week.
nuyork212
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CarlLaFong » Sun May 26, 2013 12:03 am

We had our Starcraft for 5 or six years. They're perfectly fine camping trailers, but crummy travel trailers
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
"As I wandered, alone, through the endless fields of corn, I could hear the crows. They seemed to mock me, calling out my name, over and over", said Cawe
CarlLaFong
500 Club

Postby Nobody » Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 am

CarlLaFong wrote:We had our Starcraft for 5 or six years. They're perfectly fine camping trailers, but crummy travel trailers

Carl is pretty well right! Back in the mid 1970's I bought a new Starcraft 'Superstar' crank-up folding trailer. We had 2 early-teen sons & the Starcraft worked extremely well for us for several years. We could set-up on a campsite in less than 10min & pack-up in little more. It was great for weekends or extended stays in one location but setting up every night would have been too much; except we did make one trip with my parents from Oklahoma through the mountain west (NM, AZ, UT, CO, WY) stopping nearly every night for a couple of weeks. Really enjoyed that trip but I wuz lots younger then ;) . Don't think I'd want to do it now.

Our 5x almost 10' TD works very well for us except during inclement weather. At 73yrs I'm finding it harder & harder to put my pants on lying down & I've not seen or found a 'side shelter' that is suitable or meets my requirements. Besides that'd be just another thing to erect or tear down which I don't want to do if we're just traveling/stopping overnight. The TD works well for that.

I'm currently looking (in the market :thinking: ) for an older model tiny 'pop-up' to use as a hunting/fishing camper just for me. I want one with an 8' 'box', few or no amenities inside, & I'd accept one with the external, folding lift mechanism if still in good shape. I've decided such would be just right for my weekend or week long trips to adjoining states or local wildlife management areas/lakes which I do quite frequently, meeting a few friends for outings we enjoy. I'm familiar with several brands of these little trailers & they all weigh under a thousand pounds & meet all my requirements admirably. I'd not want to 'travel' with one but it'd do quite well for my purposes.

Have NO plans to abandon the TD but it doesn't meet all my needs every time. I WILL use it tho on a spring hunting trip to MO next month :thumbsup: (unless I find my tiny folder before than :) )
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Forrest747 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 pm

Did the tent thing for years, then we had a popup which was ok setting up. but now have teh trailer and it is so easy to set up. A couple o fweeks ago we went on a father sons camput and i got there just about five minutes behind another guy who was setting up his 8 man tent. so the tent was laid out and he was undoing poles. by the time he got the first pole in i had a galley hatch up set up the chairs leveled and chocked. i was sitting around enjoying a water watching him get his third pole in and he didnt have the air mattress going yet. take down the next day too a little longer but i was way done before he was. later that day i saw him airing out the tent in his front yard.

if you have more kids that you can comfortably fit i have seen where people have modified the tent opening to be at one of the trailer openings kids get sleeping bags you get comfy trailer. http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3126/2751949230_93fd25d247_z.jpg
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Wed May 29, 2013 11:58 pm

Slow, you might have to come to the dark side and get you a 10 foot Tiny Trailer like me, but don't worry, you're still in the club! :D It's not just about the camper, but more about how you camp, and you got the right attitude! :thumbsup:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby nuyork212 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks everyone for your input!
nuyork212
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 2bits » Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Hey Slow, you wanted options and this one! I had a truck bed camper (not a camper shell) and it was cool so that's an option, keep an eye on my build threads, I am building them like teardrops with showers, not like the bad dreams you have! You might be surprised what you can do with them! I hope I can be an inspiration!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion