Revised list 131 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg 8

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Revised list 131 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg 8

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Below is a list of trailers from people who have supplied their trailer(s) size and weight. It is listed alphabetically by forum member ID. Some of you requested changes to your trailer’s weight and others requested that their trailer be included on the chart; so, I have updated accordingly. We now have 131 trailers with size and weight documented. Please do not ask for any other sizes to be entered as we are out of room for any more columns. (Sorry, this is the best that I can do. With the latest column adds, when you try to enlarge the print, the right side cuts off, so, you may have to look at the actual picture using a magnifying glass...not kidding.)

NOTE: Angib's chart is still on page 8, unchanged, and a copy of the original chart that he used is included there as well.

Thanks to all who have contributed!

While the print of these scanned pages is small, it can be enlarged in methods such as follows.

If you are using Google Chrome, you should be able to see three black bars in the upper right corner of your screen.
You can click on those bars and select a zoom strength so that you can magnify the size of the print to get a better look.
(There is a similar feature on Internet Explorer.) Please note that the right side of the sheet may now cut off when you do this. If so, you may need to use a magnifying glass or resort to some other technique to read the print.

The content of this chart is subject to human error; however, please be aware that:
- If someone was kind enough to answer more than one thread, an effort was made to eliminate duplicates
- If size was not given, that weight could not be used.
- If inches were given, they were dropped/rounded to feet or half feet (6 inches=.5')
- If more than one weight was given, the highest weight was used
Last edited by S. Heisley on Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 26 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Please post your completed trailer's size/weight

Postby Jdw2717 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 pm

5' x 9' at 750lbs +/-. 1/4" Plywood walls with foam insulation. 1/8" top with foam insulation.110508
Last edited by Jdw2717 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 pm

5 x 8 plywood 1000lbs
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Roly Nelson » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 am

My Trolley Top "Stacker" is 40 inches wide, 6 feet long and tips the scale at only 245 lbs. The floor is a hollow-core door, sides and roof are 1/8 inch plywood and the Harbor Freight alone weighs 150 lbs, which makes the wooden TD body only 95 lbs. I stack it on end in the shop in the corner, out of the way. Tows effortlessly with my 4 banger Cruze. So far, it sleeps only one, (plus Roxy the dog), but feeds many (when the dutch oven is fired up).
8) :) :R :thumbsup: Roly, of 1/2 Nelson Woody fame. :-)
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby jss06 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:47 am

5x9.5 Plywood 1350lbs.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Irmo Atomics » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:42 am

The body of mine is 6'4" wide by 9ft long. Overall length is 11'8" taillight to hitch.
It weighs 900 pounds and is built using 1x2 framing with luan interior and aluminum exterior.
Bob
Irmo Atomics
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:17 am

Sharon, please make corrections to mine to 1360 lbs.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby bobhenry » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:32 am

Chubby is 5'6" wide by 5'6" tall by 10' nose to tail. and weighed in at 1823 pounds on certified scales.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby dano » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:05 pm

We have a Kit type home built 2012
Its 5x8 and weight is 800 pounds
Dan & Mindy
[email protected]
Morgan Hill Ca.
dano
Donating Member

Postby planovet » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Plywood

Trailer is 5x10 but total length of teardrop is 5x11

2400#
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Maureenm » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Maureenm

4'x8'---760# ply
Maureenm
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Sharon, you've taken on quite a worthwhile & useful project. :thumbsup:
    But hey, what about us folks that build with metal? :thinking:
    Alaska Teardrops - 880# (4x8) Aluminum over steel tube.
    Northern Lite Traveler - 525# (4x7) Aluminum over aluminum tube.
    Stacie's Glampette - 554# (4x6) Aluminum over steel & aluminum tube.
Last edited by alaska teardrop on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 pm

planovet wrote:Plywood, Trailer is 5x10 but total length of teardrop is 5x11, 2400#

I think Planovet should get an honorable mention for having such a sturdy trailer frame. Surely that is contributing to the relatively high overall weight.

One of the classics. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 pm

alaska teardrop wrote:
    Sharon, you've taken on quite a worthwhile & useful project. :thumbsup:
    But hey, what about us folks that build with metal? :thinking:
    Alaska Teardrops - 880# (4x8) Aluminum over steel tube.
    Northern Lite Traveler - 525# (4x7) Aluminum over aluminum tube.
    Stacie's Glampette - 554# (4x6) Aluminum over steel & aluminum tube.

I thought about that but it's hard to separate those out, as these types have been considered and lumped into "traditional" building styles for quite a while. It would be especially difficult to do that as these statistics started 5 years ago, back in 2008, and some of these builders don't log on very often any more. Most aluminum clad trailers still have traditional framing and plywood or plywood-like interior walls and ceilings. Some have 1/8" plywood under the aluminum; others, do not. In thinking about the aluminum, I had to consider and rationalize that the weight of a 4x8' sheet of aluminum was probably close enough to the weight of 1/8" plywood. :worship: Under the circumstances, I really had little choice.

Also, please recognize that the weight of a trailer is mostly in the hands of the builder, regardless of what materials are used. There will be some who will over-build, totally, with 2x4 lumber and some, who build like you do. Some will build with oak or walnut and others, with poplar. Rookies, in particular, tend to think that they are building a house and put supporting boards or spars every 16 or 18 inches, or even closer, instead of framing sparingly. Each choice makes a difference; but, over-all, the averages that we come up with will give people an idea of what to expect; and, if they want to look at the weight of a specific trailer, the forum member's name will give them enough information to pursue more knowledge. The same may be found true with foamies. Although only a few foamie owners have come forward, so far, one can already see that there can be wide differences in weight, dependent upon the builder's style and even the trailer style. By looking at the entire resulting document, people will be able to conclude accordingly.

For those builders who sell trailers, this may be looked upon as a type of advertisement. People looking for a very light trailer may look at this document and contact you to ask how you were able to build it so light. That just might be your lead into selling them a trailer. ...One never knows.

Thanks for your input. :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:50 pm

KCStudly wrote:
planovet wrote:Plywood, Trailer is 5x10 but total length of teardrop is 5x11, 2400#

I think Planovet should get an honorable mention for having such a sturdy trailer frame. Surely that is contributing to the relatively high overall weight.

One of the classics. :thumbsup:

You're right, KC. Also, he built his cabinets out of beautiful Oak, which is a heavier; but also, sturdier wood. Planovet put a lot of thought, sweat, and maybe an occasional sawdust tear and a little blood into his trailer and got exactly what he wanted. If he is happy and it works for him, what does it matter if it weighs 1400 or 2400 lbs? The only way that it matters is that someone else can look at the way he built his and decide whether the weight will a problem for them when they build theirs, if they choose similar materials and building processes. As stated previously, there are builders who build heavy and those who build light; and, people will be able to see that, as well as the averages. :thinking: I may need to do a median weight, too...we'll see....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to General Discussion