Revised list 131 trailers' size & weight pg 1 - graph pg 8

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Please post your completed trailer's size/weight

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:42 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
working on it wrote:Sharon- I wish you had asked for the tongue weights (if known) as well...I would be very interested in seeing the range of what tongue to total weights works, as compared to the "ideal" range we all tried to achieve.

That's a good idea.. :thumbsup:

Over on the trailer sailor forum they talk about tongue weight and ball size compulsively. 8)

That might have been nice but it would have made the charts way too big...too much information to fit. Anyway, some of my scrounged information is from 5 years ago...doubt I could get tongue weights on those.

Maybe this winter, when everybody is getting cabin fever, one of you can start a thread where you ask people to go out and get their tongue weight and give their trailer weight with that as well. (You don't need trailer size for that one.) It'll give people something to do when things are slow on the forum. :thumbsup:

- - - - -

I scrounged around and found one more trailer to add. That, with sagebrush's, (Thanks Will) makes a full 100 trailers!!! Later tonight or tomorrow, I'll update our chart and post a picture.

If there are more people out there who want to participate, I'll keep this thread going until the end of August and will update again, if and when I get enough to warrant it. Thanks again to all who participated!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:09 pm

Revised Chart is on page 1. Thanks.
Last edited by S. Heisley on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sheddie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi, from Sleepin Around New Zealand.

Our Teardrop is 3m x 1.5m (10ft x 5ft). We are metric in this part of the world. Although that happened around the time I left school (about 40 years ago), I still need to convert things back to imperial in my head sometimes. :thinking:

As far as weight for our TD, I used the bathroom scales, and had weighed it twice. Firstly, completed with all its normal equipment (chiller, BBQ, cooker, etc) it came out to 524kg, (1155lbs). then, loaded with clothing, food, water, gazebo, etc ready to hit the road was around 600kg, (1322lbs).

Construction is 19mm ply sides and floor. The sides are clad on the outside with an alloy over plastic, ready painted sign board. Over the roof is the sign board on the outside, and another type of plastic sigh board inside and insulated between.

I may have gone a bit over the top, but I like things to last.
Regards Sheddie.

ps. Tongue weight 60kg (132lbs).

Last edited by Sheddie on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:47 pm

S. Heisley wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote:
working on it wrote:Sharon- I wish you had asked for the tongue weights (if known) as well...I would be very interested in seeing the range of what tongue to total weights works, as compared to the "ideal" range we all tried to achieve.

That's a good idea.. :thumbsup:

Over on the trailer sailor forum they talk about tongue weight and ball size compulsively. 8)

That might have been nice but it would have made the charts way too big...too much information to fit. Anyway, some of my scrounged information is from 5 years ago...doubt I could get tongue weights on those.

Maybe this winter, when everybody is getting cabin fever, one of you can start a thread where you ask people to go out and get their tongue weight and give their trailer weight with that as well.

Sharon- I had previously started a thread, over a year ago http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51479, but got no interest at all...probably because I: a) hadn't finished or weighed the trailer (still haven't weighed it, even now), b) lack your charisma, and c) am notorious as a thread killer. At that time, I had thought that considering the data gathered would help my build, before I went too far afield, but too late now...I've gone very astray from the normal build. Even so, tongue weight is a crucial data point that needs to be viewed in context with the other data, don't you think?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mustangcats » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 pm

My TTT is 6.5' X 12' (not including tongue), and has an interior height of a little over 6'. It weighs about 2700 lbs. with almost everything in it and I was able to get the tongue weight to be about 280 lbs. The trailer ended up weighing more than I was hoping for, but I kept adding more to it during the build. I believe the frame itself weighed about 560 lbs. The floor has a total thickness of about 1 1/2" plywood, it is framed with 2 X 2's and the sidewalls and roof have 1/4" plywood...the exterior walls are also covered with aluminum siding and the roof has a rubber roof glued to the plywood.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby bc toys » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Sorry i had miss print 6x10 at 1000# my bad thats dry with out any thing in it waiting on it to get here so I can put stuff in it
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:45 pm

bc toys wrote:Sorry i had miss print 6x10 at 1000# my bad thats dry with out any thing in it waiting on it to get here so I can put stuff in it

No problem. I'll fix it before I print the next chart. :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby cdfnchico » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:06 am

2009 5x8 woody (plywood) with galvanized roof, empty weight 960# ; loaded wt approximately 1200.
Cathy
Build thread - Just Chillin'
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25151

cdfnchico
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks, Cathy. Since input has slowed, I'm waiting until the end of the month for the next (final?) updated spreadsheet.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Well, I finally got it weighed. 1280lbs; about what I expected, heavier than hoped for...not the actual travelling weight...subtract 12lbs (removable jack) add 100lbs (water jugs)+60lbs (loaded ice chest)+10lbs (side tables to be stored inside); total actual travelling weight will be 1280-12+100+60+10= 1438lbs (looks like a truck tow will be needed, not my HHR or Cobalt. I didn't load it up as I intend to use it, because I wanted to test its' handling under worst-case tongue weight conditions. So the 1438lbs is the corrected weight to the photo shown here:111153 By the way (weigh?), even though there was only 45lbs tongue weight, the trailer was 6" nose-up, and the tires at 50lbs psi, it towed perfectly at all speeds on twisting roads and over bumps...go figure! 4'x8' 1438 lbs (consumable liquids inside, as loaded) 1240 lbs (no consumables inside, as estimated) also: length is 12 feet, frame rear to coupler front edge
Last edited by working on it on Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 pm

I really think that people should use the "factory"(empty) weight, or as close to that as they can get. This is because the loaded weight can change with every season and even every whim, including what's in the ice chest and what's gone the way of one's belly. :lol: By using the factory weight, you can check the weight of what you put in and know how much you're pulling each time. Also, if the weight needs to be re-distributed at any time, you'll know what to do. But, if you want me to use the loaded weight, well...okay. You decide. :)

Once again, congratulations on your build's completion. :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:38 am

S. Heisley wrote:I really think that people should use the "factory"(empty) weight, or as close to that as they can get. This is because the loaded weight can change with every season and even every whim, including what's in the ice chest and what's gone the way of one's belly. :lol: By using the factory weight, you can check the weight of what you put in and know how much you're pulling each time. Also, if the weight needs to be re-distributed at any time, you'll know what to do. But, if you want me to use the loaded weight, well...okay. You decide. :)

Once again, congratulations on your build's completion. :applause:

Sharon- I had always intended to use the contents of one water container (or grey water as return trip weight) and the ice chest (if emptied at camp, filled with gear from the car) as a combination cargo carrier/tongue weight ballast. This trailer was meant to be 1000lbs or less, loaded, for pulling by the small cars we have (HHR and Cobalt). They have limited cargo space. Somehow the build gained a lot of weight, haha, and the weights were moved around a bit, but the loaded cabin area is still a must. So that's why it must be shown in an "as designed/actual use" weight. The consumables were always a part of the design. If, in the future, the axle must be replaced (and moved rearward, since the total weight/tongue weight limitations are now moot for the small cars), the weight balance will be also be changed, and consumables no longer be included in the mix. Our trucks have plenty of space for them.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby wingnut » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:06 pm

Ours is 4X10 & scales at 1280 lbs. empty.
wingnut
Teardrop Master

Postby rebapuck » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:56 pm

Went to the landfill today and had to go over the scales in my pickup. Never knew before. Weighs 2640 with me in it.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby CJflyer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:15 pm

The Country Squire (TTT) is 13'9" from hitch to tail, 6'4" tall, 6'6" wide. It weighs in at 1900 lbs. Just short of requiring a tag in Kansas. :o
73's WF1yer
CJflyer
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion