Thermal vacuum cooker?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Thermal vacuum cooker?

Postby desertmoose » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Going over this years trips, I ran across the pictures of the IRG.

That brought to mind the demo that Jon and I did on the thermal cookers.

Did we drag anyone to the darkside? Anyone get a thermal cooker after seeing the demo?
If so, have you tried it out, and what do you think?

I have been using mine at home, and made a batch of venison stew at the Glyphs gathering in September.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby dales133 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:10 am

Thermal cookers rock
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby desertmoose » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:18 am

Slow, you are thinking of a solar cooker.
A thermal cooker is different. Here's a snip from Steve's post in this thread.

Thermal cookers are similar (yet very different) to a cooking in a crock pot because no electricity, nor occasional stirring, is needed. The cookers outer vacuum insulation prolongs the slow cooking effect for hours once the food is sufficiently heated up. You "cook" (heat) your meal for only about ten to twenty minutes, then turn off the gas burner/heat source - adding no more heat, and your food/meal will continue to slow cook and stay hot (because of the vacuum insulation surrounding it) for four or more hours so you can have an active day outdoors, or traveling, and then enjoy a no fuss fully cooked hot meal hours later. Many recipes are available for thermal cooking. The cookers would be useful in areas with open fire restrictions...which may limit the use of dutch ovens. They seem to be popular with Australian campers.
What Is A Thermal Cooker?

Basically, a thermal cooker is a very big vacuum flask that can cook and keep warm for hours without using power. Like the Thermos, the layer of vacuum insulation in a thermal cooker helps to retain the heat in the food for many hours. The heat cooks the food slowly in the same way as a slow cooker. The thermal cooker is also popularly known as Magic Cooker.

The best thing about a thermal cooker is that it continues the cooking process without using any electricity or gas. Slow cookers consume a lot of power and tend to dry up some of the liquid in the food. Sometimes food gets burnt at the bottom of the slow cooker pot if it is left to cook for too long without being stirred.

Problems like these are not encountered in thermal cooking as the food will never dry up or get burnt. Once the food is inside the thermal cooker, there is no need to keep checking or stirring the pot. Most meat will turn out tender, moist and cooked to perfection, while the vegetables and potatoes retain their shape and texture. No wonder, the thermal cooker is called a magic cooker.
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby dales133 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:17 am

I own an ecopot it came with an adjustable wattage induction cooktop capable of running of solar panels down to 500 watt or up to 200 watt.
It's amazing
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion