Deb's $100 (approx.) DIY changing/loo room

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Deb's $100 (approx.) DIY changing/loo room

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:21 am

*******As of 22 Oct 2013, I messed up my photo imaging cache of photos, all the links broke and vanished, with every last post, thread and board's worth of photos gone. So all the edits you see here in my posts are from my replacing the photos. AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!**********

Been stopping by to read what's new, but have been too busy on teardrop adventures (and other pursuits) to post anything. Now that we have the teardrop, Bob and I have gone on more camping trips this summer, than we have the last few years combined! Anyway, I've been researching what is available to buy and thinking about what I could make, and have come up with at least a somewhat temporary version of the "fancier" one I'll make later. To begin:

But wait! Even while I was cutting on this fabric, I came up with some other ideas that might work better. We (especially I) needed a changing/loo room right away though. We always use at least one 10 x 10 canopy, so I used two 8 X 10 camo and green sided tarps, a lot of cutting, sewing and grommets and came up with this (to attach to both the trailer and canopy frame):

Last edited by Backroads4me on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Re: Deb's $100 (approx.) DIY changing/loo room

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:27 am

Photo on the right shows the two sides folded in---to cover the Loo while we're gone, but allowing others to notice if someone is prowling around the trailer in our absence. No hiding places! The photo on the right shows the split "door".

Last edited by Backroads4me on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:33 am

Since I had a lot of the second tarp left, and a piece off the bottom of the first, I cut off some of the grommets and sewed them on the inside walls of the room. Used two to attach to each of the outside edge poles. Wanted to get a nice folded edge. As seen in most of the photos, I used those stretchy red tarp bungee ball things to use at the grommet holes.

Last edited by Backroads4me on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:44 am

In this view from the opposite side of the trailer, you can see that the changing/loo room is pretty well squared off. If we were parked facing away from other's view, we wouldn't need to cover the open area above the trailer. Bob and I are tall---- I didn't like the idea of people possibly looking over and knowing I was changing or using the loo, so as the lower left photo shows, I used a piece of the second tarp to make a piece to fit the open area. Aslo shown is a photo montage of Bob's DIY "luggable loo".

Last edited by Backroads4me on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby PKCSPT » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:48 am

What a clever idea.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:09 am

A breakdown of the cost:

2---8 X 10 Walmart camo/green tarps @ $11.99 each
2---Fleet Farm Coleman tent poles on clearance @ $10 each
2---Walmart Coleman tent poles @ $11.99 each
2---Menard's 4pk D rings @ $7.99 each
1---spool fabric store marine/outside thread @ approx. $10 (misplaced the receipt).
My old warhorse of a sewing machine, (a mid 1970's Singer) handled the vinyl tarp material
with just needle break.
2---Walmart Coleman grommets on clearance for 50 cents each
1---Walmart red elastic/ball tarp bungee things @ $3.88

Didn't take long to make this, but I was scratchy and itchy after handling that tarp material. I have some screening that I'll use to make "windows" for the sides of the room, with roll up curtains made from the tarp material.

As for the "fancy" material, I'm still mulling over how high, and at what angle I want the top to be on the "new, improved" version. I know I want to the room to be freestanding when not using the canopy.
But for now, my current side room may be kinda homely, but it serves it's purpose.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:26 am

Really nifty and it tucks in under the 10x10 popup

I wasn't as crafty I got mine at a yard sale for $15.00 :D

And Mr. Stinky was free !

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Backroads4me » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:06 am

Oh wow Bob, you snagged a great garage sale deal! Looks like you found one of these (but without the hefty price tag!):

http://www.ezupdirect.com/product/vue-10-x-10/ $249 :shock: HHmmm, it does come in camo though :thinking:

TCTeardrops, the manufacturer of my trailer, offers 2 different sizes of side rooms, with choice of vinyl or Sunbrella fabric, currently ranging from $369 to $574.

I paid $56.00 for the 15 yards of nylon cordura fabric I found on Ebay, and after adding that to what I'll reuse from my current creation, I estimate the total cost to make the fancier version will be about $140. Adding screen windows will bump the cost up a few dollars more. I've included all this cost info. for others thinking about making their own. Don't know when I'll get started on the fancy one, but will post my progress and finishing of it.
Last edited by Backroads4me on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:57 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-s ... ing-booth/
$5 for the conduit (1 per side)
$20 per shower curtain (2 per side)
$5 each per bow eye (2 per side)
$20 beach umbrella for rain/sun/privacy
$20 rubber antifatigue mat, cut in half to make one per side
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:53 pm

rowerwet wrote:http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-set-up-changing-booth/
$5 for the conduit (1 per side)
$20 per shower curtain (2 per side)
$5 each per bow eye (2 per side)
$20 beach umbrella for rain/sun/privacy
$20 rubber antifatigue mat, cut in half to make one per side

Thanks for posting the info. and website on how you made your side rooms :thumbsup: They turned out great! I liked the antifatigue mat idea, easy to clean and won't get soggy. I wound up using two black rubber "Welcome" mats for under the doors.
Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Postby Backroads4me » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Here's a photo of some TCTeardrop side rooms (at the TCT gathering this past weekend). Depending on where wheel and door placement was on a teardrop, I suppose they could be used with other teardrop brands.

If interested, there's a bunch of photos., some with interior shots of the side rooms on TCT's Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/TCTeardropsLLC/photos_stream

Here's our setup at the gathering. Rained like the dickens, on and off all weekend. Still a lot of fun!

Deb

Backroads4me
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion