fiberglass teardrop trailers?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

fiberglass teardrop trailers?

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:16 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and have a question to ask. Does anyone currently manufacture a fiberglass teardrop trailer of classic design. I've found the TearDrop2 by SVC but that's it. Can anybody help? Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:25 pm

Oh you mean something like this?

And yes, that's the teardrop2, which you are obviously already familar with. I don't know of any other "classic teardrops" that are fiberglass.

That fiberglass T@B is not a teardrop btw!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:47 pm

Yes the TD2 is the one I was thinking of. I just tried to contact the company and the phone number is no longer in service. I've tried every kind of internet search and came up blank. I guess the company is out of business.

I only heard of the T@B today on this site. Why do you say it's not a teardrop? Are they still in production?

Thanks, Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:51 pm

Yes, the T@B is still in production. It's a relatively new animal having only come out last year or so...

The first ones were plagued with quality problems. I don't know if they've fixed that. They had a suggested retail price of $16,000, but last I heard, some RV dealers were dumping them for as low as $8,000.

They are not considered a teardrop because they are big enough for an average sized person to stand in them, and because the kitchen is on the inside.

A classic teardrop is typically only large enough to sleep in, and has the galley in the back. Oh yes, a classic teardrop has sort of a teardrop shape too.

There have been many variations on the teardrop over the years, and you'll see photos of many of there here.

Anyways, keep asking questions, that what we're here for.

So are you planning on building one, or buying one?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:09 pm

Mike,

I currently own a 73 13' Boler which I purchased last fall. We are new to the world of small fiberglass trailers and loving it. This whole topic came about from a conversation I had with a co-worker who wants to build a teardrop. The conversation came around to types of construction and fiberglass. I hadn't heard of any fiberglass teardrops so I took it upon myself to find out if there is such a thing. I have not yet found anyone who is currently in production of a fiberglass teardrop in the classic style. That could mean a few things. The market is too small to support a ready made teardrop at a price that makes production feasible. The ones that have tried failed to market there product successfully. Or the majority of the teardrop camper community are hobbyists that prefer to build there own. There are dozens of plans and traditional stick built teardrop manufacturers out there but how many units can they sell?

I still think the idea could work. I think that allot of people could appreciate the relative simplicity, smooth flowing lines and efficiency of a classically styled lightweight fiberglass teardrop camper. I just don't know quite how to find out what the market can bear in terms of price and how large that market could be. The whole point of developing a classic styled fiberglass tear is mute ...if no one wants one!

I encourage any further comments, Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:36 pm

Is there any reason you could not build a tear at home? I have only used fiberglass in small applications (repairing body panels) but it seem like you should be able to build a frame from simple 1x1 plywood, cover it with some cloth (like an old cotton sheet) and apply your resin over the top, jut like with console fabrication.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:09 pm

Yes, you could lay fiberglass on top of a wood construction tear and make it watertight but that is only one of the concerns. Fiberglass over wood construction would be unnecessarily heavy.

I am thinking more along the lines of the molded fiberglass trailers such as the Boler or Scamp. The structure would derive its strength from the compound curvature of the body, large radius corners and molded in classic style fenders. The rear galley could also be molded in and sealed from the sleeping compartment. The fiberglass would be chopped fiberglass strand blown into the mold similar to the way truck caps are made. Place this structure on a galvanized or aluminum frame and you wouldn't have to touch it for years.

Any more thoughts? Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:20 pm

How about a foam composite Teardrop?
You could construct the walls and roof from blue/pink board, then cover in 'glass, paint with an automotive enamel. John Blewett did his boxter in a similar process. It's a real neat little trailer!
Tiny Tears
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Grant » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:08 pm

Greetings, Mark!

If I understand you correctly, your thoughts are regarding a PRODUCTION-feasible fiberglas teardrop, right? There have been several attempts in the past, all with varying degrees of success, the "TD2" being the latest.

In the mid '50s there was the 12' boat-on-top "Kom-Pak" and the diminutive "Sportsman", in the early '60s there was another boat-on-top "Trailerboat" and the just-discovered predecessor to the '80's Rovel-plastic Teardrop American, the "Camp-act". We don't know of anything in the '70s yet, but the '80s had the previoously mentioned "Teardrop American". Late in the '90s the "Snoozer" came out of Van Buren, AR, and right 'round the turn of the century came the "POD Caravan" out of England and the "TD2", followed by the "Sleeper", also out of England.

Bottom line on any 'glass product (as far as ultimate success goes) is consistant quality, fit & finish. All one has to do to see how to build a 'glass teardrop the right way is to take a walk down the Composite Airplane lines at the annual EAA (Experimental Aircraft Assoc.) Convention in Oshkosh, WI, every August (or any of their regional events). Successful companies like Glassair, Lancair, Cozy, Glastar and many others have the fiberglass kit-plane process down cold, and KNOW how to produce a quality product that both appeals to the customer and endures the rigors of everyday use.

The biggest drawback to a QUALITY fiberglass teardrop is the COST of tooling ("plugs" to make the molds from and the molds and the labor to build both) and the dedicated workforce needed to maintain that quality. Those costs must be passed along, and that equates to an end-price considerably higher than the typical wood & aluminum semi-production teardrop. Again, using the airplanes as a referance, all you need to do is compare the prices of the kits and finished products of the traditionally fabricated 'planes to the high-tech composites.

I'm NOT saying it can't (or won't) be done, or that there's not a market for such a teardrop! What I AM saying is that I've "been there, done that" (NOT with teardrops, though!) and know what it takes to do it right. If a company or individual isn't willing to invest the time and $$$ necessary to produce a quality, truly marketable product, then they're not only wasting all THEIR time & $$$, but the buying publics' as well, and doing the industry considerable disservice.

I truly hope that SOMEONE out there is willing to do just that! I think there is a market for a thoughtfully designed QUALITY 'glass teardrop, and I think that market will bear the price needed to justify that quality. It won't happen overnight, though ...

Just some thoughts to ponder ... and my humble opinion.

CHEERS!

Grant
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're on Teardrop Time" ... so kick back and focus on the Good Stuff!
Grant
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby angib » Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:44 pm

As a former glassfibre boatbuilder, I'd second everything Grant said and add that you'd have to be sure that the one design you'd selected (before you'd sold any) was the one that would sell.

Having used glassfibre, of course a glass teardrop interested me, so I had drawn one up some time ago but removed it from my web site:

Here it is in .pdf format.

If you like me find this an interesting subject, you'll want to visit the Fibreglass RV web site and click on 'Albums' and then on 'Trailer_Brands' - look at all those wonderful designs... I can't pick a favourite between the diminutive LiteHouse or the Grasshopper-esque Compact-Jr.

Steve, if you want to build light then a foam composite teardrop is just the job - though if you are going to all that effort (and, believe me, it is a LOT of effort) you'd want to use a real structural foam.

But you could achieve a very similar weight with intelligent use of plywood - a plywood/foam sandwich is probably the lightest - and the finishing hours would be way, way less.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Mark Mckeeman » Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:41 pm

Steve, Grant and Andrew,

Thanks for your input.

If a person was going to do a limited production run of FG teardrops then the foam sandwich idea would make the most sense. In the homebuilt aviation world it's not uncommon for a group of individuals with different skills to combine their efforts and their buying power for materials to create several flying aircraft in a relatively short time. This makes a good club activity and really results in a superior end product when each individual completes the parts their most competent with. It can also be a great learning environment.

My background is in aviation. I've been an aircraft mechanic and sheet metal repairman for 17 years now. I have also completed the restoration of a 40's rag and tube aircraft. I have had a little exposure to composite construction through the production and amateur built aircraft projects I've participated in. My original idea was to survey the teardrop community to determine what people want. i.e. Optimum size, best floor plan, most pleasing shape, preferred axle type and wheel size, weight etc. The exercise would then be to draw up a design that incorporated as many of these aspects as possible. I have even wondered about an optional bare bones model where the shell, frame, and lighting is complete. The interior, galley, paint can be customized by the owner. This is not unlike the quick build kits offered by kit aircraft companies. The idea is the factory does the hard stuff, ensuring that the quality and integrity is built in but each machine is individualized by the home craftsman. What do you think?
Andrew, I like your design. It's similar to another past production model that I saw somewhere. What is your website? I have started a similar conversation on Fiberglass RV trying to reach as many people as possible.

Let's keep the comments and creative juices flowing?

Mark
Mark Mckeeman
Teardrop Master

Postby Spook » Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:28 pm

I was surfing the boat sites a while ago and came across a guy who was going to use pink styro board and the glass sheets they use on the boats to see if it delaminated. I never heard the results.

As for a market I would think that a glass motercycle tear would be a demand area.
Spook - Ball Ground, Georgia
Spook
Teardrop Builder

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:35 am

Here's another site that gives you a very good idea on the processes involved for one-off projects. Although this is for boats, it can be applied to trailers as well.

http://www.glenl.com/methods/methdfg.html

I had the opportunity to have a look at a fiberglass teardrop and was quite disappointed at the lack of fit and finish. It had some interesting features like the gull wing doors ala Delorian (well, not TRUE gull wings but sort of a similar idea!) and was made by Teardrop American Inc.

Now there's an idea for you Shrug, how about a gull wing teardrop to go with a classic gullwing Merecedes?
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby angib » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:43 am

Larry: Those boatbuilding methods all involve taking a fairly rough surface and then filling and fairing it to perfection - this work is measured in the hundreds of hours for a teardrop. You could make your own plywood much more easily!

The poor fit-and-finish on the glass teardrop is fairly typical of the material - if you have the self-confidence to start something like this, it'll be because you don't know how much work is involved in doing it well and you lack the self-criticism to see how badly you're doing it! (What, me, cynical? Nah, not me....)

Spook: To steal someone's line, there are cheap foams and there are strong foams, but there are no cheap, strong foams. If a sandwich is built with styrofoam, it will break (actually, shear) through the foam layer well before maximum strength is reached. This may not be a problem if the glassfibre layer is thick enough, but in that case the sandwich wasn't needed!

Mark: Look for the WWW button underneath messages to get to posters' web sites.

Everyone: I'm not on a downer about glassfibre - it's just not a source of free lunches... It would be an excellent addition to Mike's Weekender - screw the OSB together and then tape the joints (with cheapo polyester resin) - not the prettiest finish you've ever seen, but do you think painted OSB is pretty? A excellent grunge trailer, though.

And if all this conversation is about getting a lighter trailer, why not just make it in plywood of the right thickness? 1/2" and 3/4" ply is for making houses, not trailers.

Andrew (ducking and creeping for cover)
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Larry Messaros » Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:08 pm

No slingin' stuff at you here Andrew, I only was making suggestions as for construction. Personally, I would like to stay away from fiberglass for the smell and cleanup!

It really is all about learning from people who have experience working with different materials and techniques that makes this and other boards valuable resources. I think there is tremendous value in "brainstorming" with material use, construction ideas and even design ideas. I enjoy seeing and reading about everyones ideas. Judging from the design ideas I have seen from this board there is a lot of talent out there.

So, keep the ideas and comments comin'. :D
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion