What kind of a design should the 10th be? Starting standie!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What kind of a design should the 10th Anniversary design be? 2 options, 1 for style, 1 for galley.

A classic teardrop 4' high similar to a cub/modernistic
19%
A larger than classic teardrop, about 4 1/2' high, about the size of the Lil Diner
14%
A slouchy 5' high similar to a Midget
10%
A standie 6' high similar to a T@B
22%
Clamshell - a galley in the back
27%
No Clamshell - stove and fridge inside
7%
Other - let us know below
2%

Total votes : 492

Re: What kind of a design should the 10th be? Starting stand

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Wow, there doesn't seem to be any activity in this thread since I posted the design.

Is anyone building one? It seems to me this would be the perfect retiree camper. I would love to take one like this down to FL for a few months.

Mike...

mikeschn wrote:Here's the dimensions of the profile for those of you who are brave and daring and want to start building before the design is finalized!!!

http://tnttt.com/images/2014/standie_cl ... rofile.pdf

The window location and size will probably change a little bit too!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TheOtherSean » Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 pm

It's a nice design, but I'm not building it. I gave up on a building a tiny trailer and instead picked up an vintage (read that as ancient) Airstream in need of a complete gutting and restoration. It probably will be 150%-200% the weight of my planned tiny trailer, but I'll be able to squeeze in up to 4 people and have a small bathroom and adequate storage space. I keep thinking about a slide-out exterior kitchen (with small sink and space for small grill) but I'm not sure I'll go through with it or not.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby Roly Nelson » Wed May 14, 2014 12:47 am

Mike, I think your next one should be shaped like a scaled down Stealth Bomber, without wings of course. I understand there is a new teardrop that has been built that looks just like the F-117 Stealth Fighter. It was at the Shasta gathering last week. Give it a try.
:) :? :thinking: :applause: Roly
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Wed May 14, 2014 10:24 am

I tried Roly but not as pointy

I have been dreaming about something to pull behind Trudy's 2003 Accord though. But she says she likes the room in the current Warrior.
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 14, 2014 11:09 am

How about something more or less like The Big Pink, except with traditional construction?

I guess it is about the same as a T@B, but not quite (no wide trim boards around the profile and w/o the little duck tail flip at the rear).

Your earlier pic.

Sketch from TAC422's thread.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Mon May 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Mike
The standie with a galley SunshineInn was a huge hit at our spring gathering. Lots of compliments, lots of pics taken, lots of questions. I think anything in this design model will be very well received. It tows great, plenty comfy...lots of storage, very usable galley. The wifey is sold on it also. It's only 83" to top of roof vent so it didn't affect towing behind my full size pickup with a camper shell.

Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby pjo129 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Mike,
I really like the design. I may ditch my plans and work on tbis when I start construction one #2 in the fall. The only difference will be to nix the potty and put in a bunk for the 4yo.
Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN

"Patrol Box" camper build thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55583

It's only dumb if it doesn't work.
pjo129
Teardrop Master

Re: What kind of a design should the 10th Anniversary design

Postby nhstt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 am

wagondude wrote:I'll throw down for "other". The Cub/Modernistic is by far my absolute favorite teardrop profile. But with so much of our membership getting older and less flexible, I think a Standy of the bread loaf style would be cool. Maybe something based on the old Hayes trailers, just shorter in length. Something in the 13-14 foot range with night time facilities. I think the T@b-like design was already covered with the big pink foamie (if you already have drawings you could post on that one).

Wagondude,
What about that little cutie you have in as your avatar- did you build it :pictures:
I agree with the nighttime facilities a little 13" like the Scotty would be great in about 7 years when my 11 year old graduates and I can just travel with the husband. for now just want to get the ladybug-out campable.
Karen at the Ladybug-out build journal viewtopic.php?f=50&t=55602
nhstt
Teardrop Master

Postby wagondude » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Haven't built it yet. When (if) I do build, It probably will be something like my avatar or maybe some other vintage style bread loaf type of foam and canvas construction. I am currently keeping my eyes peeled for Scamp/Burro type trailers in the area. If I can find one in decent shape for the right money, I'll get that instead of building.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby samintexas » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:14 pm

Mike,

This is pretty interesting to me, even though I'm so new I don't even know what all of these things are (i.e., clamshell, Benroy)! However, your design is something along the lines of what I'm considering making for myself. I will be getting an old pop-up camper from my brother and using the frame from it, as well as a few other items (stove, fridge, AC, etc.).

My requirements are that, if possible, I need it to sleep four (not necessarily something like a double/queen/king bed and two others, but possibly four separate beds) and have at least a toilet. It needs to stay light enough that my 2013 CR-V will be able to tow it, and that has a 1500 pound limit. I'm hoping to keep it around 1200-1300 pounds, though.

I realize this may be a tall order, but from what I could tell of your design, it may be workable! I'm thinking of something like sleeping slideouts/foldouts, but am not too sure of those just yet. Depends partly on weight, partly on complexity.

Sam
samintexas
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BassinVt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:45 pm

none of them, i would like to see the completed Nano Weekender
BassinVt
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mary C » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:58 am

Samintexas, the main consideration about pulling a trailer of any kind is to not pullmore than your car can pull. I know that is a very hard thing to do but Sharon put up a chart of the different weights of trailers. I found it helped me to decide to build my Foamie. unfortunatly my mitisubishi was stolen. over 5 months ago by drug crazed meth users. I now have a truck to pull it. and find that it is so light that my gas milage is hardly affected, maybe 1 cent a gallon. i paid lots of attention to balancing the weight also.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cindy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:56 am

I kind of like the TAB design but I like the outside kitchen. Even with my HiLo, I cook outside on a table more than inside. If you could make a TAB style with potty but have a hatch with Kitchen, it would be the best of both worlds.
Not sure how that would work though.
Hot Cindy
My goal is to really live my life. I want to take risks, make a difference, and know that I have done all I can do to give hope to others.
Cindy
500 Club

Re: What kind of a design should the 10th Anniversary design

Postby cbgaloot » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:59 pm

mikeschn wrote:l

Mike...

Something like the above shape is what I am contemplating. Front would be about 4 feet tall inside.

The big difference is, I want the hinge to be almost all the way to the front of the trailer. It's a slouchy, until the top is raised then it's a standy.

No rear galley, everything is inside.

Galley and bath would be at the back, because that would be the tallest area when the top is raised. Fold up wall around the shower and toilet. Wondering if it can be a hard side pop-up.
cbgaloot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:23 pm

What you are describing is basically the winter warrior design.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35660
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion