What kind of a design should the 10th be? Starting standie!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What kind of a design should the 10th Anniversary design be? 2 options, 1 for style, 1 for galley.

A classic teardrop 4' high similar to a cub/modernistic
19%
A larger than classic teardrop, about 4 1/2' high, about the size of the Lil Diner
14%
A slouchy 5' high similar to a Midget
10%
A standie 6' high similar to a T@B
22%
Clamshell - a galley in the back
27%
No Clamshell - stove and fridge inside
7%
Other - let us know below
2%

Total votes : 492

Re: What kind of a design should the 10th Anniversary design

Postby mikeschn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:25 am

S. Heisley wrote:Doesn't the 6' high, similar to a T@B, have the galley inside?

Yes, unless you are looking at the Clamshell T@B...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Vedette » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:31 am

I don't know how I missed the voting on this the first time I read this thread??? :?
But I have a serious soft spot for "Modernistics" :thumbsup:
So if I was ever to build a conventional teardrop, that would be it.
Sorry but IMHO, Standies are just small travel trailers and do not have the cool factor that Teardrops do.
But remember .......Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:28 pm

Mike
I voted for the clamshell. After doing these for 12 + years, I regularly get asked where's the bathroom? A/c? So on my current build I used the Whetzeldorf as a base, extended it 2', has hidden porta potty, a/c, bed big enough for someone 6'5", 67" standing room, plenty of storage, can still fit in a standard garage(83"), and the galley on the back.
Just an xxl version of of teardrop!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Dan,

Apparently you've got some real fans. Keep on producing those Metzendorfs! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby PKCSPT » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:19 am

I like the midget myself. If I had the skills I would build one, however it wouldn't look like that when I was finished.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby danlott » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Here is a design that I came up with that is designed to fit on a 5x8 Northern trailer frame. It is fully self contained and has a queen size bed. The fender flares are premade flares from a cj jeep, so easy to find and inexpensive. The camper could be built without the more costly bathroom and kitchen amenities. As you had money and time you could install them.

I know it is not exactly what the poll is suggesting, but I think there would be alot of interest in it.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Hey Dan,

I like it.

I can see this being a big hit. I don't see any hint of a forced air furnace or an air conditioner, but that keeps it simple!

However, like you noted, there is an overwhelming desire for a galley out back.

If you feel like doing another cad model, how about doing something with a galley.

How about if you start with the same northern tools 5x8 chassis. Build the body 78" wide, over the wheels. Then find a way to package the bathroom, the bed/table combo, and of course the galley in the back.

I'm hoping you come up with a smaller version of this... and more pictures here: http://www.mikenchell.com/Generic_ET_Ph ... index.html

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby danlott » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:07 pm

The hard part with putting a bathroom inside and a gallery out back is the bed in the middle. To have a decent size bed the trailer would have to be fairly long. The trailer body in my picture above is 10 feet long.

I have some ideas I will see what they look like.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:12 am

I think Aggie Tom already has the solution for Dan's design; galley slides out the back from under the bed.

I'm with Tom and the others: not really a galley inside but provisions to make a hot cuppa and/or a snack would be nice (assuming the coast is clear for bears!). Then the real cooking happens outdoors.

Makes the most sense to me, as opposed to a big long drawer cantilevering out the side. The rear body panel covering the slide could fold down as it slides out with the drawer, extending into a counter. The pantry and stored items (stove, wash tub, pots, pans, etc.) would ride on the main shelf part that the slides attach to. Need more counter space? Removable wing tables on the sides using those extruded aluminum cleats. If it looks like it is too low to be at a practical counter height, have the whole counter lift up on scissor legs (using a screw jack if necessary). Quick snack on the fly: inside. Lunch by the side of the road or at rest stop: slide out. Full camp set up: slide out and run the cordless drill to actuate scissor lift.

I don't see the point of doing a traditional TD; those are already so well documented here; unless the goal is to provide step-by-step instructions for those that need a little confidence boost to make "the leap".

I have reserved my official vote in the survey because I was not sure which category was correct for a rear entry 5x8 slide-in standy/slouchy.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby jstrubberg » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:58 pm

danlott wrote:Here is a design that I came up with that is designed to fit on a 5x8 Northern trailer frame. It is fully self contained and has a queen size bed. The fender flares are premade flares from a cj jeep, so easy to find and inexpensive. The camper could be built without the more costly bathroom and kitchen amenities. As you had money and time you could install them.

I know it is not exactly what the poll is suggesting, but I think there would be alot of interest in it.

Dan

That's pretty close to exactly what I was looking for, Dan. Maybe another foot of overall length to allow for a small closet/storage space. Otherwise, very nice!
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:24 pm

KCStudly wrote:I don't see the point of doing a traditional TD; those are already so well documented here; unless the goal is to provide step-by-step instructions for those that need a little confidence boost to make "the leap".

That's a good point. We do have lots of build journals etc for traditional teardrops, but very little in the way of the 6 footers...

And even less information if you want a 6 footer with a porta potty and a galley.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby High Desert » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:06 pm

I had already voted for a 5' high w/ a clamshell style back. Always thought the 5' high designs had some great profile lines. But after reading the ideas for a slide out rear galley like Tom & KC mentioned, I find that idea very intriguing. It could help keep down the overall length in trailers like Dan's cool looking design. A little creative thinking to make up for the lack of the upper cabinets and viola, best of both worlds :thinking:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:54 pm

aggie79 wrote:Mike,
I like an outdoor galley. We love cooking a big breakfast while camping. Bacon and sausage grease/smell is not something I want inside a camper.
Take care,
Tom

I agree, with a couple of exceptions...1) I like the " bacon and sausage/grease smell" anytime, anywhere...and 2) though I would prefer to cook outside, there are times when it would be preferable to cook inside. My build #2 pipedream is to incorporate a small ventahood inside to vent away fumes over a small griddle/grill. The location would be aft, with cooking gear, galley supplies, and additional storage accessible from the inside thru a bulkhead door, or from outside thru the "clamshell" hatch, for outdoor cooking. This area would be isolated in one corner of the trailer, much as a portapotty would be in another corner (also, thankfully, vented), on the other end (diametrically opposed!). The minimum dimensions envisioned would be about a 2.5' x 2.5' space for each. Since the 2.5' on each end would be so reserved, and the outside storage/galley would entail another 2-2.5' (I found that 21" deep, in my vertical storage area, worked for me on trailer #1), and sleeping space in the middle would reserve about 6.5", the minimum length would come in about 13.4. Proportionally, the ratio of length to height of the cabin structure, would be 1.618:1 to meet the golden ratio, so the height should be 8.3'. Much too tall to fit under a garage door (standard = 7'). Not that aesthetically pleasing to the eye, at least to me, I prefer an anamorphic aspect ratio of 2.39:1, as I have become accustomed to it over the years, watching movies filmed that way (a widescreen teardrop)? That ratio would set the cabin height at roughly 5.62'. A that height, cabin perched on a trailer frame of 2' (mine is that height with 14" tires, axle over spring suspension), it would give a rooftop height of 7.65'. Still will not fit under the standard garage door! Therefore, for inside storage, the spring suspension wouldn't work, even with smaller tires. Torsion axles would be more height adjustable, and might work (I have no experience with them). Thes are just my current leanings, but the trend on these forums is taller (standies, cargo, foamies), wider (for larger mattresses: everyone), and longer trailers (more storage, inside features); I guess that is the new tradition to be. Tiny trailers are obviously not in the majority of builders' plans today, though everyone still likes the "traditional" appearance. Here are some more reasons I had in an earlier post, to justify a larger, taller , new "standard" TTT:
I also see no need for a 5' high, at the present time, if I was to use it for single person camping, occasionally. That's what mine was built for. But, I also see a need for a taller, roomier trailer (of my manufacturing, not my wife's 20 footer), if a)we were to both camp in it together, b)either of us were to use it where we couldn't set up the "peripherals" - (canopy, porta-potty with cover tent, external cooking and cooler stands) due to time, weather, or space constraints, or c)becoming too physically inflexible to enter/exit/move around in the little 4x8 cabin. My next trailer (hopefully not too long till I can!) will be built to meet these three "new" refinements. I built the present trailer to the max height that I could fit into my garage/shop: made on a spring-suspension frame, 12 foot long, which is 24" to the floor (after installing 14" wheels/tires), and after adding the superstructure >> the thickness of the floor(3/4")+wall height(48")+roof(3/4")= 24+3/4+48+3/4 = 73.5" total height, it will barely fit into my garage bay, partially due to the angle of the slope into it. Build #2 will have to be stored outside, so 5' high (or maybe more) will be the order of the day. Even if I had used a different suspension on #1, it still wouldn't have squeezed under the door very easily, so I don't regret going that direction then. But, on the next one, a longer-taller-wider design, any of the 5'+tall designs would fit the bill. For TnTTT purposes, a teardrop shape is a must, but again, I will probably go outside the box on my #2 build.
as usual, I talk/write too much based on very little experience, and most probably I am "outside the box" again on my reasoning, but that's my view.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Lv4toys » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 pm

OK: my disclaimer - I am new to teardrop trailers, but I really like Dan's design. I would love a scaled down version of a T@B Clamshell with a toilet and an area for the dogs to sleep. A T@B at 16' is a little too large for me. I would prefer something in the 6x10 or 6x12 range. Can't wait to see what design you're going to build.
Pat
Lv4toys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ATXKJ » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Personally - I really liked the Generic ET

the big caveat was that - with a standy that large - the front is in the airstream and it appears aerodynamically hostile.

a T@B profile - seems friendlier.
David
ATXKJ
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion