What kind of a design should the 10th be? Starting standie!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What kind of a design should the 10th Anniversary design be? 2 options, 1 for style, 1 for galley.

A classic teardrop 4' high similar to a cub/modernistic
19%
A larger than classic teardrop, about 4 1/2' high, about the size of the Lil Diner
14%
A slouchy 5' high similar to a Midget
10%
A standie 6' high similar to a T@B
22%
Clamshell - a galley in the back
27%
No Clamshell - stove and fridge inside
7%
Other - let us know below
2%

Total votes : 492

Re: What kind of a design should the 10th be? Starting stand

Postby wagondude » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:40 am

Just a thought, but with your current layout, a round nose like a raindrop would actually give better aero than a tear shaped nose. it would also give full headroom in the head. I like where your going, though.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby alffink » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:52 pm

I kinda like aggie79's idea of a smaller version of an old bread loaf design or maybe a modified canned ham
like the designated potty area and maybe the shower, like the mini-indoor kitchen for emergencies, we have been caught on three separate trips cooking breakfast with horizontal snow, Karen likes cooking outside, but having to clear snow to find the stove is not pleasant. We retired to AZ just so we would not have a chance of such things, but travel takes us north most of the time.

Al Fink
Central AZ
alffink
Donating Member

Postby Lgboro » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:01 am

I would prefer a Standy with a slide out cook section similar to what the Aussie's build (and a few of the rest of us). I have that system on my current tear and love it. Allows mounting a second spare on the rear and not having to deal with keeping a galley hatch sealed. The slide out drawer is much easier to keep water sealed and you only need one awning system to cover cooking, sitting and entry.
Lgboro
500 Club

Postby jonw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:04 am

Mike -

How about something like this (excuse my poor MSPaint drawing skills):

A gently sloping roof and a more squared off rear is more aerodynamic, would provide a nice surface for mounting solar panels, and would provide more space for a galley. A lightweight flip-up rear door could double as an awning, or you could have two side opening doors maybe with cabinets attached.

I still like the idea of a slide back futon-like bed with under-bed storage. Anyway, still thinking... :thinking:
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Jiminsav » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:11 pm

saw one of these the other day, guy was hauling it to a dealer..this would be an almost standie.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:00 am

There are so many directions one can go.

But the root of this forum was the Teardrop and one classic that has been around in the 1940's looks like at teardrop but you can stand up in it 6' when open, yet sleep in the front like a teardrop.
Kampmaster/Campmaster/Wild Goose
Found in In 1953, Popular Mechanics Magazine published plans to build the Wild Goose, which is basically the same design. page 187 - 193
http://books.google.com/books?id=UdwDAAAAMBAJ&q=

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Htd90ICaf00/U ... aster3.jpg

I have stood in old ones, new ones and a prefab the the campmaster. All the the Dam Gathering in Shasta lake and can offer photo's of all. One man there made a new one copying his old one.

You will find it on page 38-39 of teardrops and tiny trailers by Douglas Heister
page 34 in ready to roll by Arrol Gellner

it is a teardrop it is a tent trailer it is a hardtop tent trailer with teadrop front.

found in Peterson car museum

there is a lot of research of this one too.

http://www.petersen.org/exhibitions/548 click on pictures on bottom.
Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:19 am

this is in my gallery it was made just after WWII the green cloth is army tents. The man who owns it got it from a guy who stored it for about 50 years looks brand new.

this is a very unusual trailer you can sleep in it when the back is down, you save gas when you pull it, it's as high as your car, When it is up it has a full size door in the rear, and if you worked it right you could even have a shower in it or even a restroom.
It is a teardrop :noyes: no it is a standie, It is a teardrop :noyes: no it is a standie,It is a teardrop :noyes: no it is a standie.... :fb
Ron
Last edited by Ron Dickey on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby pitbullluvajrod » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:06 am

Hello all.. I would like to throw my $.02 in the hat. I would like to see a 6' Scotty-ish with a rear galley, to leave more room for inside comfort. :roll:
pitbullluvajrod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Greg Barrick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:15 pm

my $.02. I love them all. But, at 64 and my wife is rather round, a little roomier/easy entry is better. I've had the 4x8 cubby. Loved it, but too narrow and tough for wife to get in & out. I now have a Campster 12. We really love it. Not quite tall enough for me to stand in, but I can move around. Wife would like a taller entry door. I have a 13' foot trailer frame waiting for my design. I could go from 5' wide to 8' wide. Will probably go 6-1/2 wide. leaving the tires outside for easier changing and not having to deal with wheel wells. But, may go about 5-1/2 feet tall to be able to stand up and use my 5' tall door I have.
So, a small, light standy with a basic round "tear" shape for fuel economy and wind, oversized teardrop, inside potty?, inside kitchen for inclimate weather....being able to always pull it out side for "normal" cooking.
Greg Barrick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 am

I'd like to add my support to the idea for a pull out drawer kitchen. Here are my reasons
1) it will make more space available inside
2) this would put the kitchen on the same side as the door, meaning that if you are using the trailer to protect you from the weather you can use the long side of the trailer for better protection. I'd you are in an RV park, you won't feel like you are cooking in someone else's spot, it's right there,
3if you attach an awning, it's over the kitchen and you seating area.
4) I don't think we've seen a set of plans here that incorporated the drawer, so this would be an example people could apply to other designs. The clam she'll has been done ( perhaps you just add the drawer as an option on this design?

Looking forward to seeing the final design
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Starting to work on the standie clamshell design...

This is a solid model version of this profile, #3, as I showed on the previous page...

What do you think?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 am

It looks like a good start,

A couple of suggestions,

Some sort of shelf in the bathroom
instead of the shelf in the front, make it a full height closet.
I am assuming that with a clam shell the only things needed inside will be bedding and clothes/toiletries. A closet using that "wasted space will be more space efficient.
The shelves along the sides probably aren't needed if you have the closet.

Can the bed be a converting dinette? or maybe fold over to be a twin with seating on the door side?
It would also be a nice addition if the interior rear wall had a hinged shelf that folded down for interior use ( i.e. cooking inside if the weather was unfriendly)

Overall a nice design.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:46 am

Just an observation (FWIW) .. a large fixed Bed takes up so Much of the living space ...Something else (?) might be better and give you more usable floor space in the daytime.. :thinking:
I’ve been in several "standys” and a lot of them felt “crowded” (claustrophobic) .... Just too much “ Traditional stuff” crammed into a reasonably sized space... and then a huge bed thrown in too ... :duh:
The trailer weights reflected their “complexity” ... :o Just crumbs for thought ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:37 pm

Yes, I had planned on the bed converting into a dinette, like in the giant teardrop...

The front being a closet is a good idea. The other idea was making it a place to sit, like a blanket chest.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion