What kind of a design should the 10th be? Starting standie!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

What kind of a design should the 10th Anniversary design be? 2 options, 1 for style, 1 for galley.

A classic teardrop 4' high similar to a cub/modernistic
19%
A larger than classic teardrop, about 4 1/2' high, about the size of the Lil Diner
14%
A slouchy 5' high similar to a Midget
10%
A standie 6' high similar to a T@B
22%
Clamshell - a galley in the back
27%
No Clamshell - stove and fridge inside
7%
Other - let us know below
2%

Total votes : 492

Re: What kind of a design should the 10th be? Starting stand

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 pm

With the shelf you have it's a good tv spot too.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Socal Tom wrote:With the shelf you have it's a good tv spot too.
Tom

The gray rectangle on the shelf closest to the door is the TV! ;) :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby prohandyman » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:36 pm

Here is what we did on the SunshineInn...the bed stays fixed, so we don't have to store bedding, pillows,etc., and a hinged table folds down from the wall, and one person sits on the bed and the other sits on the small bench on the right( which when opened reveals the porta potty). With the bed fixed, it allows a area for the power converter, a/c, and a huge drawer for storage. We have had 3 vintage campers that were "Gaucho" style where the bed slides back into a bench, and the wifey always hated storing the bedding and pillows somewhere while in the Bench mode. So we ended making the bed fixed on the last one and adding storage under it. I thought about making the small bench /potty into a closet but felt the closet would have to be big enough so that you could "take care of business", and that would consume too much space. I figured one could just close the camper door for privacy.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby paulnb57 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:18 am

Just discovered this topic and am completely blown away by this new Tabbish design, Im at the point of getting ready to build a TD and this discovery has throw my plans into chaos, I may have to build one of these.......!

Any chance you could post the required offsets to produce the body shape?

Im hooked!

Paul
paulnb57
Teardrop Builder

Postby prohandyman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:23 am

Paul
Here in Indiana we have a very active teardrop camping group. And over the last few years, the trend has been towards a little bigger camper for quite a few of us. Quite a few standies are replacing small teardrops, and now a lot of interest in a standie with a galley on the back- kind of a combo design. Mikes line of thinking is right inline with the trend we are realizing.
Anyway, go back to page 4 for the dimensions of his. Mine is really close to the same, although I believe the ground up dimension is shorter.
Mike...are you thinking of a step of some kind to step in?
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby paulnb57 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:54 pm

Unless I am missing something I cant see the radiusssessesssess (radii) for the curves, the outline is pretty much all I need as I wouldn't need the shower room and probably keep the galley in the front furniture rather than in the back, the only thing that prevented us from buying a t@b, was the expense and poor build quality.........

Paul
paulnb57
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Paul,

I'll come up with a drawing pretty quickly here...

@Dan,

I was planning on a stool, like this...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Socal Tom » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Mike,
How much room between the top of the bed and the bottom of the upper cabinet in the back? I'm asking because if the bed converted into a long bench across the back, then potentially long drawers or slideouts could take advantage of the space under the bed. The Camp Chef oven is 18 inches high, and coolers are usually under 16 inches high, so that would be a nice way to fit some big stuff in a small kitchen. if the seat were at 19 inches or so.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Tom,

24 inches...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Here's the dimensions of the profile for those of you who are brave and daring and want to start building before the design is finalized!!!

http://tnttt.com/images/2014/standie_cl ... rofile.pdf

The window location and size will probably change a little bit too!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Mike, the trend for me (and many other aging teardroppers) is to go to a "short Standie". I bought a trailer from Dan Sutton that is 8' long 82" tall and 66" inside height. The Whetzeldorf looks like it will work for me and I'm excited to try it out in May. It will be a welcomed change to have a trailer that I can "work from" for my consulting business. The teardrop is OK but in the event of really bad weather, it's difficult to do compluter work inside.

The "just a little bigger" trend is catching on for me and others. This is what the teardrop industry went through in the late 40's and 50's where teardrop manufacturers went to larger and larger sizes.

I think that a trailer that is tall enough to suit most (shorter) people for the inside and still fit in the garage might be a good way to go. Just my thoughts.

I just read Dan's post. He is saying similar things to what I am saying. It all amkes sense and it's really all about what fits you best.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 pm

It appears redtrailers.com doesn't sell the 5x10 trailer any more. Any idea where I can get a 5x10 trailer?

Obviously I don't want the grate floor, the sides, or the ramp/gate.

Any ideas?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Henry Benner » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:40 pm

I find that an interior galley in a very small trailer is rather useless, you'll get almost no counter space and everything is just crammed in there. I like the idea of a galley that pulls out of the side of the trailer and is stored under the bed. The fridge/cooler could still be inside and accessible. The stove, sink, and pantry in the side pullout.

If you don't have a standup galley inside then why bother with a standee? The 5' height would be fine because you can still have a dinette inside. A 5' has got to be easier to tow and store. Another idea is to put the stove and sink in a pullout from the back of a hatchback car or mini-van. The hatchback provides a roof overhead and everything is easy access. Another advantage is that you will still have your kitchen with you when you go on day trips and leave your trailer at camp.

If I had to choose between a galley or porta-potti/shower inside I would choose the porta-potti because then I'm self-contained and don't need an overnight campground on long trips. (I like fall and spring camping...just try and find a campground that is open before April or after October.)

For extra shower headroom I've seen trailers that had a 16" x 12" "trap-door" in the floor of the trailer. Here's how: Put a large dishpan on the ground under the trapdoor to capture the shower water. Then go inside the trailer, close the door, lift the trapdoor, stand in the dishpan that's on the ground, draw a plastic shower curtain around you, and you can have a standup shower in a 5' trailer! Other people can only see your feet. If you're in a paved parking lot don't bother with the dishpan, just a few boards on the pavement to protect your delicate footsies will do.
Henry Benner
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:33 pm

mikeschn wrote:It appears redtrailers.com doesn't sell the 5x10 trailer any more. Any idea where I can get a 5x10 trailer?

Obviously I don't want the grate floor, the sides, or the ramp/gate.

Any ideas?

Mike...

Call little red trailers,
You can probably get them to advertise on the site and carry the 5x10 kit.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:29 am

We called redtrailers.com. They can sell us a 5x8 trailer, with extensions for each end to make it a 5x10. :thumbsup:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion