Can someone tell me why there is no interest in a 5' high

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Can someone tell me why there is no interest in a 5' hig

Postby grant whipp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:09 am

Why do you think there isn't any interest in them, Mike?

The various designs are all up and available, and there are a few dedicated souls building them because they fit their particular needs ... but hey, it's a niche in a niche market!

I wouldn't worry too much about it ... ;) ...!

CHEERS!
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:50 am

kayakdlk wrote:My reasons for no 5' high

1.) Probably wont fit in the garage/carport Nah, it will fit under a garage door just fine.
2.) Can't stand up in it, so rather just go higher and make a full standie Yup, or it does give more storage in the cabin and in the galley.
3.) Weighs more and more weight to pull around Weight increase is nominal
4.) Sticks up above tow vehicle and pushes more wind Depends upon the height of your tow vehicle. Mine will be about 5' from the bottom of the skirt to the top (and will cover the three inch frame) but it will not be above the roof line of my Chevrolet Traverse. Matching the height of the trailer to the towed vehicle might improve the MPG of the tow vehicle.
5.) Looses the streamlined teardrop shape and looks more like a pumpkin, odd shape Depends. Maybe, maybe not depending upon the dimensions and profile.
6.) Forces you to join more plywood sheets together Not necessarily. If yer tear is only 4 feet high and 8 feet long agreed. But anything bigger is gonna required more than one sheet. If you use 5 X 9 ply for the outside skin and 5 X 5 BB sheets of plywood only one vertical joint will be required in the cabin and one on the exterior portion of the side of the teardrop.
7:) Costs more as more materials are needed Very nominal. If yer buying 5' ply and aluminum you'd have the material anyway and it might be tossed when building anything shorter than 5'.

Just a few that I can think of.

Dan

Just my two scents.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby oakinteriors1 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 am

5X5 sheets of Baltic Birch make it very tempting....But the storage is the #1 concern....That is the biggest drawback of a standee...
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:13 am

We are looking at doing a Raindrop style, but with a 5ft high and 6ft wide body. I'm over 6ft, but I still would like the room. Also with the bunks in the front, that give some more room for the kiddos to move around.

My only concern is that is with the 6ft wide, will we have issues finding aluminum that is that wide (without wasting a ton) to skin it, but I'm not sure on this.
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby Crabapple » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Actually this was one of the MAIN reasons I just purchased a Prolite Suite rather than a traditional tear drop.
Not quite 5' high but close,56" inside floor to ceiling. The bed is not my floor and the floor is not my bed.
Bed makes into a sofa during the day with lots of headroom, and we can stand well enough to dress and move around.
Ample storage under the bed. Can prepare some food inside when the weather is bad, also use the porta potti
simply by pulling over to the shoulder while travelling, set it out in a pop up shelter at night.
Three screened opening windows, screen door, plus fantastic fan should give lots of air flow.
Yet it still tucks in nicely behind my tow vehicle ( Subaru Crosstrek ) and weighs same or less than a 5x8 SS.
I think there is a lot of pluses to be had in this height range!
ps- I'm only 5'9" and my wife is 5'6" so this all works well for us. If you are much taller, forget about it!!!

some inside shots...

under bed storage is substantial..

Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:13 pm

grant whipp wrote:Why do you think there isn't any interest in them, Mike?

The various designs are all up and available, and there are a few dedicated souls building them because they fit their particular needs ... but hey, it's a niche in a niche market!

I wouldn't worry too much about it ... ;) ...!

CHEERS!

Well, okay, there is "some" interest. But not as much as the 4' and the 6' according to the survey so far... I was just hoping to get some feedback...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby desertmoose » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Well, I was interested enough I built one.....

Sort of.

Ours is 5 foot tall, but it's a four foor tall cabin on a one foot tall bank of storage drawers.

So, it's not a slouchy, but a regular cabin, but it has 5 foot tall walls.

A Basement model teardrop maybe.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby Chuckles » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:10 pm

I also was interested enough to build one! With the drop floor it has about 5'-3" interior height... Slouchy for me, standy for the wife.
They certainly do not have to look out of proportion either. Mine is 13 feet long and I think it is very proportional.

I don't agree with the view that if its not a standy it might as well be 4 feet tall. With a camper this small I'm not spending a lot of time walking around in it anyways. The drop floor and the extra height allows me to step into the camper (dirty shoes and all), sit on the edge of the bed while accessing the interior cabinets, and stand up to get dressed without needing a side tent. That drop floor is also a great place for the dog to sleep.

People should build what they want and enjoy!

Fits in the garage as well... with about two inches to spare! just have to lower the tongue and push it in by hand or I'll bust the fantastic fan.

Chuck
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby Crabapple » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:16 am

Chuckles wrote:I also was interested enough to build one! With the drop floor it has about 5'-3" interior height... Slouchy for me, standy for the wife.
I don't agree with the view that if its not a standy it might as well be 4 feet tall. With a camper this small I'm not spending a lot of time walking around in it anyways. The drop floor and the extra height allows me to step into the camper (dirty shoes and all), sit on the edge of the bed while accessing the interior cabinets, and stand up to get dressed without needing a side tent. That drop floor is also a great place for the dog to sleep.
Chuck

yes...totally agree!!
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:25 am

Chubby and the barn ( my 2 main camping trailers ) are both over 5' inside. The barn is 5'6" inside standing room.

I never really asked anyones opinion I just built what I thought I wanted.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 pm

Both are over 5' high. The Green Lantern is about 5'2" inside and I can stand up with a slight slouch. I really like it.

My own build was 5' high and I used 5'x5' baltic Birch. Both are high enough for Mike to slouch and not hurt his back. They tow great with the truck. Oh and they both went in the garage... The GL is in the garage...
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby goldcoop » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:58 pm

Mines been 5' high for years now! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:03 pm

I've done it.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:25 pm

Something like this might turn out to be the ultimate tiny travel trailer/teardrop. Look here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43716

Here is what Bohemian (Wayne) has to say in that thread:

bohemian wrote:...You were wondering what happened to the Wee Zim, well I'm here to fill you in.
That very same trailer will be delivered to my house today or tomorrow for a complete frame off restoration.
I thought I was lucky to get to restore a 1947 Aero Flite trailer, actually I am. :)
Now I'll get to work on a Wee Zim. Man It doesn't get any better than this.
It will now doubt be awhile before work gets started, but I will get some pics on as soon as I do. :thumbsup:

wayne

I think we all should stay tuned to the above thread. We might be able to develop a new and improved model that's the best ever tnttt!
If it turns out to be a feasible success, maybe that's the one that should be used for the new set of plans! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm trying real hard NOT to like the 5' high design for $$ and ease of build purposes, but I simply cannot. I'm 6'1" and I keep coming back to that extra head room while maneuveing around inside. Just seems to work for me.

Also, we are going to have bunks on the front end, like the raindrop, and I think that added room in between will make them a little better for the kids as they grow.

I can find 5' wide aluminum online, but 3/4 ply in 5 ft wide is really hard to come by in this area. I called 3 places locally (south GA) on friday to ask if they could even get it and they all acted like I was asking them to turn the sky purple. They had no clue.. guess I could check a cabinet shop, they might have a source locally.

So, this is what I don't like about a 5ft high.. but I am going to keep looking because I think it will pay off in the end with the extra room.

Just my 2 cents
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion