Propane vented radiant tube heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Propane vented radiant tube heater

Postby KennethW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Colemancooler wrote:i like the idea, my only concern is the clearance to combustible materials. furnace venting is 6" for single wall venting to anything combustible, i would imagine at the burner end that thing will be hotter than a standard furnace vent. be safe! and good luck

I use a standard thimble for a 3" pipe as a referents. It has a 6" OD giving you a 1-1/2" inclosed air gap. The dog dish is 5" and the pipe is 1-3/4 OD give you 1-5/8 free air clearance + the dog dish extends 1" inside the camper to dissipate the heat in the metal to wall distant. I did put my hand on the dog dish where it met the wall and the heat was minimal. If a person want more clearance you can use a bigger dish.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby drhill » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:55 pm

I know this in an old thread, but I saw your post today on Favorite modification. Then I managed to find this thread on your heater design. Excellent. Outside air for combustion and direct exhaust. The only safe way to do it.

You mentioned Feb 20, that the heater was maybe too good (powerful). It would be great to get an update how it has been working, any further modifications done? Are you able to get the heat low enough or do you just have to open up the roof vent?

I also really like your in roof pipes for the extension rods. Great idea.

Cheers,
Don
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Hi Don,
The heater work Ok and yes just open a window and open the roof vent It will use more gas but I when for the safety of fully vented. I tried reducing the output by using a smaller jet but then it can blow out. :x
In is all outside so when it blows out the propane just blows away.
Next I will try using a elbow on the burner side so One has a vertical flame. :thinking:
The vertical flame should produce a more even draft. :worship:
Even with the teething problems I really like the heater.
Until someone comes up with a different heater at a lower cost that is fully vented and that requires no power
I will put it in any future teardrops I may build.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KennethW » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:57 pm

With the low cost($130) of the chinese diesel parking heater. (not available when I started this post) Push button heat !! Only downside is it requires a small amout of battery power.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion