"TrailTop" modular trailer building components

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: "TrailTop" modular trailer building components

Postby jscherb » Thu May 09, 2019 5:47 pm

JuneBug wrote:For those still interested, the pull-out kitchen discussion is still going on over at the Expedition Portal, pages 67 and 68.

Check it out here -- starting on page 67:"TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components

Don't know if/when the fiberglass connecting pieces will be available to the public.

There are two kitchens - MORryde has released their "Trail Kitchen" based on the design I posted photos of. They've been selling it for some months now and showing it at shows like SEMA and most recently Easter Jeep Safari, where it was displayed in a Jeep:

At the SEMA Show last fall it was on display in a Jeep and in a trailer, and it won two SEMA Awards.

Another kitchen is under development (by a different company) and they've asked me to help with the design. I posted some very early concept images over on the Expedition Portal but the design has progressed a ways since those drawings were posted. The idea behind the new kitchen is that it's fairly low profile so it will fit in many trailers that don't have the height for a kitchen like the Trail Kitchen. It uses a low-profile marine drawer fridge and has space for a stove and a sink with running water. Here's a more recent concept drawing, I haven't posted this image over there.

Update on the TrailTop components: I don't know when the TrailTop components will be coming to market either, but a company has licensed them from me and is working to bring them to market; they report that they have molded some test components and they are currently building a proof-of-concept trailer using those components.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby AzAv8r » Thu May 09, 2019 9:03 pm

Glad to hear the Trail Top components may finally be coming to market.

Now, tell me about those flat fenders on that JKU...
AzAv8r
Teardrop Builder

Postby justageek » Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 pm

AzAv8r wrote:Now, tell me about those flat fenders on that JKU...

I think you want this: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/thre ... 7/page-121
justageek
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jscherb » Fri May 10, 2019 4:23 am

AzAv8r wrote:Glad to hear the Trail Top components may finally be coming to market.

Now, tell me about those flat fenders on that JKU...

The fenders are another home fiberglass project, I designed them after the original Willys fenders. Also did the JL-style grille for the JK...

The hardtop is homemade as well.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby JuneBug » Sat May 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

I really like the small details on the kitchen: paper towel holder, handle doubles as a place to hang a dish towel, magnetic strip on cooler for utensils & knives.

A refrigerator drawer on the second design is genius.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby jscherb » Sat May 11, 2019 9:09 pm

JuneBug wrote:Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

I really like the small details on the kitchen: paper towel holder, handle doubles as a place to hang a dish towel, magnetic strip on cooler for utensils & knives.

A refrigerator drawer on the second design is genius.

Thank you.

I designed the Trail Kitchen so that it could accept ordinary kitchen accessories - the towel holder and dish towel bar are from Walmart and Target, they're designed to hang inside a household kitchen cabinet door. They're only a few bucks each and they hang very nicely on the Trail Kitchen because I designed the kitchen with accessories like that in mind.

The magnetic strip on the fridge is less than $10 at Ikea, and by drilling two holes in the back of it, it replaced the handle on the Dometic fridge.

I chose the marine drawer fridge because it's very low profile so the new kitchen can fit in the trailer I'm designing it for. That kitchen will fit in many trailers, and the company I'm doing this for says that in addition to offering it as an option for their trailers, they plan to sell it to DIY trailer builders. Could be an easy way for a DIY trailer to have a pull-out kitchen with fridge, stove and a sink with running water - those are all features this new kitchen will have.
jscherb
The 300 Club

Postby JuneBug » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:45 pm

It looks like TrailTop components are now available.

TrailTop: Build Something Awesome

Our goal is simple. TrailTop modular building components aim to simplify building of campers, truck shells, utility trailers, or anything else that you can dream up.

TrailTop components have been designed to be easy to modify and assemble, resulting in a strong structural framework and a professional look for your project.

Here you can find inspiration in our Projects section, as well as build-specific kits and individual TrailTop parts for sale in our store.

Happy building! – The TrailTop team

"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:45 pm

You know this way of building as been around for over 75 years. Most fiberglass shop will make any shape you want. Where I get my parts use 3D printers to make the tooling Have never seen over $12.00 US a running foot Same profile.
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Previous

Return to General Discussion