It has begun!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby Steve Frederick » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:53 am

Wow! I finally got a look at your pics. That design is very nice! The side hatch is a cool idea! Will it have a hurricane type hinge? I also like the use of the lower galley hatch for a work surface. My next little project is a folding table, attatched or otherwise, to use for workspace...orders from the "top". (25 years, still in love).:lover:
Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:36 am

Steve Frederick wrote:Wow! I finally got a look at your pics. That design is very nice! The side hatch is a cool idea! Will it have a hurricane type hinge? I also like the use of the lower galley hatch for a work surface. My next little project is a folding table, attatched or otherwise, to use for workspace...orders from the "top". (25 years, still in love).:lover:
Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Steve, actually the design is mine and James said he plans on replacing the full sized hatch with a door on either side.

To me part of the appeal is that full hatch. It gives you a nice dining and relaxing area while allowing you to take in the view at a scenic campground.

I think he likes the flat, angular construction. Really simplifies things. The galley hatch is nice too as it gives you extra work area when the bottom is lifted up (perfect for cleaning fish :x )
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby JamesW » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:39 pm

Shrug53 wrote:Being in love or being cozy has nothing to do wih anything. Try mocking up a 4' space and lying down in it together, you will see that it becomes very difficult to do things like strecth out, roll over, etc.
Also if you are going to be camping with a child, a 5' wide trailer will allow you to have a decent size bunk like in Andrews 2+2

We do the mock up all the time! Actually we have already tested the width and it is fine for us. I am not a tiny guy but my wife is. My boy will be sleeping in the back of my Toyota Matrix (tow vehicle).
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby JamesW » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:40 pm

angib wrote:Anyone clever enough to tell me why I can't access James' site? The link above gives me a directory listing of .jpg files in his /teadrop directory but I get a 403 access forbidden if I click on one of them.

Am this one o' them furriner traps I heared about? :wink:

Andrew

Andrew,
It must be you. All the pictures are posted and you should be able to view them. Run a virus checker... I use a MAC!
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:03 pm

We do the mock up all the time! Actually we have already tested the width and it is fine for us. I am not a tiny guy but my wife is. My boy will be sleeping in the back of my Toyota Matrix (tow vehicle).

Well you know what works for you. I know I would be reluctant to have a small child locked in a seperate vehicle from me.[/quote]
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby beverlyt » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:17 pm

James,
Our daughter always slept in the car too. She didn't want to sleep anywhere near her little brother!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby JamesW » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:17 pm

My boy is 10 years old. He is a 1st degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Doe. He got it at the age of 8! He hurts me sometime! Besides, he doesn't want to sleep anywhere near me and mom.
JamesW
Teardrop Master

The sides are up! Sort of...

Postby JamesW » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:01 am

Here are some pics of my progress. I cut the doors with a skill saw and a jig saw. Worked okay. This is the "Door is Ajar" design except I am only going to use two doors and it is 4 feet wide.
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby JamesW » Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:06 am

I do not know why the pics are not showing but here is the link.
http://www.james-willis.com/teardrop
JamesW
Teardrop Master

jAMES

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:13 am

Whic plan are you building again?
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby JamesW » Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:29 am

The "Door is Ajar"
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion