Let me see what you guys got!!!!!!!!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Let me see what you guys got!!!!!!!!

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:20 pm

I have been lurking on this site for quite a while now and have decided that you are by far the msot qualified group of people to help me out. I am a huge tailgating fan and would like to create an "ultimate tailgating" trailer. I have looked over all of the different designs and have decided that none of them have what I want/need. So I figured what hte ehc jsut go ahead nad build one!!!!!!!! I would really apreciate your help on this and ideas on design anythign at all below are some stipulations, Iknow its a lot down there but I want this thing to rock!!!!!!!!
-All Wood (no experience working with aluminum and I want to paint it eagle green)
-Must have a shower, bathroom place to put a keg, hold a 27 inch tv, bar, place to sleep 2 me 6'4 and my wife 5'10
-The bar tv, keg, all need to be in a place where the side opens up , kind of like the tear drop back but on the side
-a place to store a small grill
-Size: has to beno longer then 16, would like to keep it to 1 axel because I have no experience working with that sort of thing
-Im 6'4 so Id like it be as tall al i am so 6'8 should do it.
ANyone have any suggestions????????? I am going to send my drawing later on tionight to see waht ya think, in the meantime I'd love to hear what you guys are thinking
Thanks in advance

I had origianlly thoguht about just butign a travel trailer and hackign it up but I figured what teh hec build it yourself and get what you wnat and have a blast doing it.
Id liek to have this complete by next years football season
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:13 pm

Eagle Fan,
Because of your height, I would reccomend doing a pop-up or a pod.
A pop-up might be a better way to go because of the temperatures during football season, unless you're that guy who paints his body Philly Green and only wears boxer shorts. :D
Are you talking about the 2004-2005 season, or the 2005-2006 season?
The upcoming season might be a tough deadline, especially for a pop-up.
Take a look at my current pop-up design I'm working on, it's in my album here on this site. Things are changing on it every day.
Post your design as soon as you get it ready. You can upload it right to your personal gallery on this site right from your computer.
Hey, if you come up with something really bitchin, maybe Andy will stop by and party with you before the game! You should deffinately be able to get on TV during the pregame.

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:47 pm

OK Eagle Fan,
Check this pop-up out.
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=316

(Just for the record... I like your coach, I've been a Niner Fan since the days of John Brodie)

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:51 pm

That sounds like a travel trailer with a galley to me... maybe something on the order of a T@B, just slightly taller so you can stand up in it. In place of the closet, put your bathroom with shower.

Make it 3 feet longer than the T@B and have your galley with your 27" TV out the back. Here's some photos of the T@B so you can see what I mean. http://teardrop.superboxes.com/tab/

The T@B has a king sized bed, so no problem there. And there's plenty of storage too. And you should be able to build it on a single axle.

Have fun!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:20 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:OK Eagle Fan,
Check this pop-up out.
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=316

(Just for the record... I like your coach, I've been a Niner Fan since the days of John Brodie)

Hey Dean,

Any clue how heavy the pop up section is going to be? Do you think a person could get inside there, and just push it up?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:49 pm

I don't know at this point Mike.
I think it would be lighter than Sumner's, because of the wood construction.
I'm playing around with using a scissor lift on the front and rear wall, that would be tied together and opperated at one point.
BTW Thanks agin for posting those pics of Mike Caddy's Modernistic.
I did a pop-up version of it in a woody style, their in my album. Tell me what you think. I think it looks great when the pop-up is down, but you give up a lot of length with the pop-up raised keeping the ellipsed front end.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wow that was fast

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:58 pm

Thanks for the quick replys!!!!
So making it all out of wood shouldnt be a problem??
Nice drawing for the pop up. DO you have any other drawings or pictures of it?
I really wanted to stick my orginal plan of makinging it 7 feet by 14 b 6'6 tall
this is only because I want the grill nad beer tap and tv on the side of the trialer? See what I am getting at? I want to have a big door that clseos over them (like the hatch on the teardrop)
It's beign made for talgaitng so it needs to be on the side of the trailer. Where we park there is a perfect spot. Please keep hittign me with these responses, they keep me thinkig nad on my toes. If you are in philly youd be more then welcome to have a beverage outta our "NEST OF DEATH"

THnaks again
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:07 pm

Hey PhillyMan,
Thanks for the offer, but I gave up the leaded stuff for unleaded. Hey, why don't you put a tapper with either Sharps, Coors Cutter, O'Doules or Buckler for the party goers that don't indulge?
Get that drawing posted so I can see what your talking about.
You'll need to have the base frame made out of metal and if you don't weld, no problem, just get a small utility trailer from Harbor Freight.
Check out Shrug's website, he might allready have the design that your talking about.

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:10 pm

DO YOU HAVE AOL OR AIM? ID LIKE TO TLAK TO YOU ASAP.
ITS FUINNY I DONT EVEN DRINK, BUT ALL MY TAILGATING BUDDIES DRINK , HEAVILLY. IM A HUGE COLLEGE FOOTBALL FAN AS WELL SO ILL BE GONG TO TEMPLE , RUTGERS, MARYLAND , DUKE, AND PITT GAMES
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Cant saend my drawign for some reason

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:18 pm

Dap you have word ? I jsut finished drawing it.
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:22 pm

where do i find shrugs website
O h by the way Im shooting to complete it by NEXT football season. I wanna work on it while Im watchign alll teh games in my driveway
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:39 pm

Hey check out my site. I have a design that would work out for you. It is called the "Micro Habitat"
It is only 10.5' long and 6" high. It could eaily be scaled up a bit for your added height. It is a pretty straight-forward design so building it from wood is pretty easy. Using the sandwich method I mentioned earlier you could make walls only 1" thick and still have plenty of structural strength (I ran the idea past my brother-in-law, who is an engineering student and he agrees).

The bathroom could easily be fitted with an RV shower enclosure and would be an all in one unit.

The unit has A/C and interior kitchen, and I could add anything else you wanted. It is a Tiny Travel Trailer rather than a tear.

You could also make it a lift up wall like another of my designs and have the best of all worlds. Heck go nuts with it, mount an LCD or plasma TV and a DirecTV dish.

Do not worry too much about the welding. You can usually pick up an old beat up utility trailer for pretty cheap. I just saw an old busted up pop-up tent trailer down the street from me for sale for $300.00. The canvas is gone and the top has trouble staying up, but it has lots of great parts.

The utility trailer I bought for myself I found on Ebay for only $5.00 over in Mesa.

Let me know if you have any questions, or would like a custom design. I work ver slowly for free, and pretty quick when there is money involved :lol:

I could even make you a great pdf file with the patterns for the sides which you could take to a print shop and have printed full size.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:43 pm

Hey PhillyMan,
Shrugs website is:http://www.forgottenclassics.com
I'm pretty sure that he has a version that one side flips up into an awning.
Sorry, Me no got any of that instant messenger stuff.
If you want to post your image, click on album, the scroll down to Your Personal Gallery and click on it, then you'll be able to upload it right from your computer.

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:44 pm

Again thanks for hte respones, what am i lookign at on your site? Do you have an email address, I could send you nad idea of what im thinking. Id liek it to be 14 to 16 feel long (as much as a single axel would allow. And 6'6 in height (im 6'5
my email is [email protected]
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Shrug53 » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:55 pm

Look in the members albbums under "shrugs wacky ideas"

Is there some special reason you need it that long? An 11' trailer would give you room to sleep four, plenty of water storage, and about everything else you need. Above that length I would say you have to go with a dual axle, and you will need to start beefing up the materials, framework, etc. A slightly modified version of my "Micro Habitat" will weigh about 1500 lbs. Adding just 3' will take that up to over 2000 lbs.

Part of it really comes down to how much you can spend too. Also how big of a tow vehicle you have, etc. Most of what you will see on my site now is designed with a small budget, and a small car in mind. Heck look on ebay, you can get 20' travel trailers for a coupld of grand.
Right now there is a beautiful 16' 1968 Shasta for sale and it is only up to $1000.00
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion