Made some decisions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:14 pm

I found the trailer at Home Depot in Edmonton. It is built by Snowbear. You can see them at http://www.snowbear.com
catrinka
500 Club

Merci beaucoup!

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:59 pm

Rock on. Thanks. I'm making a list of manufacturers and such so that if I decide to go pre-made chassis, I'll have options.

Ah, if I could only build now!
-CK

Truth is not what you seek....it is what you find. What you find...is not what you were looking for.
CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Merci beaucoup!

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:55 pm

CheshyreKatt wrote:Ah, if I could only build now!

Now you're on the right track... start building now! :wink:

Mike...

P.S. I think you've been bitten by the bug! :idea:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Once bitten....twice [blank]???

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:36 pm

You might be right. My wife mentioned the word "obsessed" yesterday :D

Owlbear trailers appear to have better construction, but in reality is a 4.5x7.5 trailer. The front and back gates (optional) fold down to make it ~12ft. Looks sturdier than HF. No idea on price.

Features I like:
    - Extendable tongue - allows for the front gate being down, so, could easiliy add some tubing to finish it to the length desired for the platform
    - Adjustable axel - nice for that post shell portion where you might be tongue light/heavy.
What I'd like to know
    - tire size
    - wall thickness of tubing
    - can axel be swapped for a torsion axel (comes with slip leaf spring)
-CK

Truth is not what you seek....it is what you find. What you find...is not what you were looking for.
CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Once bitten....twice [blank]???

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:51 pm

CheshyreKatt wrote: My wife mentioned the word "obsessed" yesterday :D

Owlbear trailers appear to have better construction, but in reality is a 4.5x7.5 trailer. The front and back gates (optional) fold down to make it ~12ft. Looks sturdier than HF. No idea on price.

People with the bug have been known to be refered to as "obsessed". Don't let it trouble you. It seems the first campout in a teardrop cures a lot of "obsessed" people! Others, well, we won't go there.

Never heard of Owlbear trailers, but the 4 1/2' size give you the option to put in almost a full sized bed. With 1" walls you'd only be 2" shy of full size!

You'll have to take a couple pieces of plywood into the house and set them on your bed. Space them apart 52" and sleep between them overnight. Then ask the wife if that's enough room.

That's what I should have done. :oops: Then I wouldn't have had to build the 4x8!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Owlbear?

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:21 pm

OMG! Did I say Owlbear? Ok....a couple of decades ago...an owlbear was a Dungeons and Dragons monster...YIKES!

SNOWbear....that's the company....yeesh. :wink:

You'll have to take a couple pieces of plywood into the house and set them on your bed. Space them apart 52" and sleep between them overnight. Then ask the wife if that's enough room.

Our walkin closet is 48", so, I'll just have her lay down in it and we'll see :D
-CK

CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:01 am

So did you sleep in the walkin closet last night?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby CheshyreKatt » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:42 pm

Nope, not yet ;-) This weekend, we are camping and have decided to sleep in the back of my Explorer. It is about the same size as a 4x8 teardrop would be. Close at least.

We really are hoping to get a queen size bed in place. The 2+2 should handle it for the most part.
-CK

CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:22 pm

CheshyreKatt wrote:Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; but remember that what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
~ Epicurus

Hey Cheshyre, I just stopped to really read your signature. Really good food for thought! Thanx! :wink:
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Previous

Return to General Discussion