Rolling Chassis

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rolling Chassis

Postby ssutton » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:15 pm

IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG (144.3 KiB) Viewed 2221 times

Just had to put wheels on it even though it's upside down.....

IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG (157.5 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
ssutton
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Rolling Chassis

Postby Vedette » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:05 am

Your Chassis looks GREAT! :thumbsup:
But I hope you are building for a Canned Ham or Standy, as it is way over built for a Teardrop.
Too heavy!
I am on my second TD build......and the first thing I changed from my first build, was to lighten the chassis.
I accomplished this by using lesser dimensioned materials. ie where ever I had used 2x3 x .125 wall I used 2x2x .100 wall (except the tongue) and were 2x2x .125 was used I went with 1 1/12 x 11/ 2 x .100 wall the second time. I carried this thru all the way down to the angle iron used.
Hoping to trim 200 to 300 lbs off of my second build.
Good Luck with your project and keep posting pictures. :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby ssutton » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:51 am

Originally I was going to build a 15 foot standy. I purchased the steel and the axle accordingly. The plan changed when I acquired a 1950 Spartan Tandem that I plan to restore. Having 2 full size campers just didn't make sense to me so I changed the plan to a teardrop. So we will have one very heavy duty and BIG teardrop. The body will be almost 12 ft in length. So, with all that space I at least plan to make the very most out of the size. The design calls for just over 5 ft interior height, so the queen bed will be setup like a futon bed along with an ottoman. During the day, the futon section sits up into a couch and creates a space between it and the ottoman. Therefore my wife can stand up in it. I am planning for an on-board hot water heater and a 40 gallon tank, full galley with a 3 cubic ft frig, sink and all the normal things. It will have a tongue mounted AC unit as well. Weight is not a concern as my tow vehicle/family car is a 4 door F150. There is just something appealing to me about a tear that other campers just do not have. Unfortunately I have pulled the chassis out of the shop and it will have to sit for at least 2 months as I complete another project that must take priority over it. It is my hope that by April 2016 it is at least finished enough to start using it but not fully dressed out.
Chassis.jpg
Chassis.jpg (201.86 KiB) Viewed 2069 times
ssutton
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Nice job and looks well built...........but on the curious side, what are the 2 plates and thru bolt on the end of the tongue facing rear for? It looks like all the other places are welded solid so I see no reason for a pivot point....educate me. Great looking job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby ssutton » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:41 am

Its not designed to be a pivot point, but rather the tongue is designed to be removed. The only reason for this is that the body of the camper is designed to wrap under the frame. So the tongue will be removed when I get to that stage and then it will bolt back on when the body is in place. :lol:
ssutton
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:08 am

ssutton wrote:Its not designed to be a pivot point, but rather the tongue is designed to be removed. The only reason for this is that the body of the camper is designed to wrap under the frame. So the tongue will be removed when I get to that stage and then it will bolt back on when the body is in place. :lol:

Thanks ssutton.....makes sense now. :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kaz » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:13 am

That looks like an awesome foundation. I overbuilt mine and very happy with a good trailer under my camper. Just wish I had Known where to mount my rear spring hangers. After a few trips It has become clear they need to go rearward about 3/4" of an inch.Good luck and post lots of pics.125449
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Nice trailer ive over built mine also as everyone seems to do but i plan on dragging mine around behind my landcrusier so like you im not overly concerned.
Keep up the good work
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby ssutton » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:14 am

Right after my last update back in 2015 I was diagnosed with cancer. Recovery was a long road for us, physically and financially. But, I give Thanks to God for His faithfulness and Love. We restarted the project a year ago and started building again. During my downtime I got the idea to reach out to a kit aircraft manufacturer and wanted to see if they would want to offer this design in a kit form. So, in the not-so-far future this will be offered as a body kit from Zenith Aircraft. The builder will finish the interior per their own design.

The body is fully 6061-T6 aluminum, frames and skins. It is riveted together using aircraft grade pulled rivets. The same rivets that Zenith uses in their aircraft, they are extremely durable, strong, watertight and easy to install using a simple pneumatic rivet puller (Harbor Freight). Zenith manufactured the prototype (the one pictured here) using my design and shipped the kit to us. My wife and I assembled the kit in about 6 weeks.

The interior build will start this summer and the hope is to complete it by late fall.

DSC_0248.JPG
DSC_0248.JPG (379.08 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

DSC_0246.JPG
DSC_0246.JPG (378.7 KiB) Viewed 1775 times

DSC_0236.JPG
DSC_0236.JPG (297.12 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
ssutton
Teardrop Advisor

Postby alaska teardrop » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Congratulations on finishing your project. :thumbsup:

I remember your original thread- http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59 ... 7#p1079667

I'd very much like see details & photos of the construction of the cabin. :pictures:

:beer: Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:30 am

alaska teardrop wrote:Congratulations on finishing your project. :thumbsup:

I remember your original thread- http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59 ... 7#p1079667

I'd very much like see details & photos of the construction of the cabin. :pictures:

:beer: Fred

Congrats also. Please add me to the list for details and photos!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby ssutton » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:13 am

Spent this past week touching up the polish on the camper getting it ready to show at the Oshkosh AirVenture airshow this week in Oshkosh WI. Unfortunately my wife and I will not be able to be there this year like we did last year when it was just completed (Body, not interior).

polish.jpg
polish.jpg (117.21 KiB) Viewed 1262 times

This is my reflection in front of the camper. Polishing is a super dirty job!

If anyone happens to be in the area attending the show you can stop by the Zenith aircraft booth and they will be glad to show it to you and tell you all about it.
https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure
https://www.facebook.com/zenithaircamper/

I will be installing the interior over the winter and plan to have it completed by spring 2020. I will document as much of the interior build and design here as I can and also on Zenith's Facebook page about it.

Several have asked about a build log, here are a few images that we took as we put the kit together. Some of the images include our visit to the Zenith factory where we learned about their manufacturing methods and processes. They manufacture their aircraft kits on state of the art CNC equipment so that parts fit perfectly together and they are final hole sized matched drilled. Alicia and I were amazed at the fit and finish of the prototype camper kit that we received.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/STae4VzdhQNwsDL77
ssutton
Teardrop Advisor

Return to General Discussion