Curved square weekender?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Do you like the curved square weekender?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes : 27

Curved square weekender?

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:57 am

A couple weeks ago I modeled up a basic weekender with curved side panels and flat top panels. I didn't especially like it so I put it aside.

This morning I got an email from Ron Dicky with the Survival Pod.
http://www.advancedplay.co.uk/diy/pod-diy.html

So I figured I'd dig out the curved square weekender and ask you guys what you think of it? Do you like it? Let me know what you think. And in the famous Ron Dicky style, I'll even give you a poll to tell me! :wink:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:03 am

Sorry Mike,
I voted no to keep things with your wife smooth for you. (You allready said somewhere in another post that she didn't like it with the curves)
Rule #1: Keep the Mrs. Happy!

Postby beverlyt » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:18 am

Hi Mike,
Well, I hate to say it but I like the curved look best. Just has more of a "teardrop" look to it.
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:12 am

Sorry Mike, but I was drawing the "weekender" with curves last night, :? trying to figure out the advantage of the squares. Could not come up
with any. Put me down for the curves, hope Michelle will forgive me :(

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:43 am

The only advantage to a square weekender is fast building. If you use 3/4" plywood panels throughout, you can build the body in 1/2 a day. The further away you get from 3/4" plywood panels, the more speed you lose, and the less sense the square shape makes.

You're already seen how much time I've lost building up the side walls with framing.

Now my center panels are also going to be build with stringer construction. If yesterday is any clue, the center panels will also take way longer than the solid plywood panels. I'll get back to you on that, but if what I say is true, then the only material that makes sense for a square weekender is 3/4 or possible 1/2" plywood panels throughout.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:48 am

both,,sorry

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:52 am

So you're saying you like the curved weekender, the square weekender AND the curved-square weekender????? :?:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:08 am

Mike I like both of them,,the flat panel and the curved top are both good looking,, If ya gonna make me choose then the flat topped weekender,,,two reasons,,first it was your original design and it was meant for a quick and simple build,,ie; weekender,,the second and most important,,if ya wife is happy you are happy,,I may not have learned a lot of valuable lessons in building a tear but that one I learned a long time ago,,well sort of :lol:

build the square one!!!

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 08, 2004 8:55 am

Being a rookie here....I have to ask...Does it make any difference when applying the roof as to whether the roof is rounded or squared off?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:33 am

catrinka wrote:Being a rookie here....I have to ask...Does it make any difference when applying the roof as to whether the roof is rounded or squared off?

Absolutely... if you build the squared off version with plywood panels you can build it much faster...

I built this whole thing in about 1/2 a day last weekend...

If you build the curved version, you can figure much longer!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:46 am

Mike, you need a hobby son...to many mock-ups lying around your place... :D
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:55 am

Hey Jim,

Just hope I don't get hooked on winter camping... :shock:

:lol: Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:56 am

Heck, it would just be nice to have that kind of space. I am going to be able to have a total of 3 vehicles (one being my wifes car) and two trailers, and that is it. Even that will be a little squinchy.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:39 pm

Too late to vote? I like the drawing here better than the chipboard model.
Looks way more like I visualize a tear to be. It doesn't look so much curved to me as more 'stepped' or with smaller straights but maybe that's just my impression.
I think it would be worth the extra time to get the cooler look.

Um. Now. Here's a proposal. What if you built just the outside (top, sides, ends) and used it to 'replace' the canvas in a popup trailer? You could raise it to an interior height of 5'' pretty well, and maybe tuck a portalitterbox in a corner ... :wink:
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:29 pm

Laredo,

The chipboard model is the Weekender, a summer model... The Winter Warrior, of course is designed for a teardropping like experience in the middle of winter. We haven't gotten any volunteers yet to mock it up, or build it or anything else. Are you game?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion