Curved square weekender?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Do you like the curved square weekender?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes : 27

Re: Dimensions

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:41 pm

R Keller wrote:And it's not a problem to sand the extruded polystyrene. Probably easier than the beadboard which will tend to shed pellets.
Rik

Do you glue the sanding belts to the edge of the board or the face of the board?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby R Keller » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:52 pm

I just found a board that was about the same width as the belt and went at it. You can do a pretty good initial job using a variable speed random orbital sander with 80 or 120 grit with very light pressure. Then use the sanding board to even things out. The folks that are doing serious polystyrene shaping for surf boards, hovercraft, etc. use a "surform" file/plane I believe.

And as for cutting extruded polystyrene boards, after trying several things, I found that using a sharp X-Acto was the way to go. Very clean and precise cuts with no tear-out.

Rik
R Keller
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:07 pm

Sounds good... I'll have to give that sanding technique a try. As for cutting extrude polystyrene, after a couple false starts with utility knives etc, I found a really easy way to cut it is with a table saw! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion