Galley problems - What would you do?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Galley problems - What would you do?

Postby beverlyt » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:27 am

I have two items that I really wish fit better in the galley.
1. A roll top box that I keep coffee cups, sugar, etc..inside. I love this thing and like how it goes with the wood in the galley.

2. My Coleman stove which is a must-have:

Trouble is, neither one of them fit. The back wall which is one continuous 3/4" plywood wasn't made deep enough. Then I have the problem of the inside cupboards behind there somewhere.

At this point, I have to place the stove up on its side while traveling and actually take the box completely out of the galley and place inside the trailer so we can close the hatch.

(Note the metal cane that we use to keep the galley roof up with. Works great because it also holds on to the lid in high winds... but when you lower it....)

Anyway, thinking of somehow cutting out some of the back board to make things fit.

Any ideas? Just cut enough height for these two items? Cut the entire wall from the top shelf to the top? The cane handle might have to go too..but don't know if we'd have room for some other sort of holder-upper.

It's not fun having to move things around everytime you want to close the hatch!
Help! :roll:

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:44 am

How much extra do you need Bev?

There are several options... cut into the inside skin of the hatch...

Cut into the back wall

Both

And the final option, although not that attractive to you...
Build a new hatch with a bump out to clear your stove and cabinet!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:49 am

I'd say a good 3 inches..

Uh, and I'm not going to build a new hatch with a big wart sticking out on it!!
:wink:
Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:53 am

Sounds like you'll be taking a saw to the back wall, and also to the cabinets on the other side... :? I can't think of any other way...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:51 am

Bev its hard to tell if it would work from pics but could you rotate the bread box so the bottom actually mounts on the bulkhead and the roll top could either go up or roll down,,it may just give ya a little room and it looks like a little is all ya need,,tha stove,,,can you eliminate an undercounter drawer and mount it(the stove) on full extention drawer slides,,,dont know if either is an option but a saws-all may be the only cure,,,

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Moving stuff in galley

Postby Laredo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:33 pm

I think before I got out the sawzall I would get out a tape measure.
Will the rolltop box fit under the counter top in transit? Or do you have the classic immovable object (giant cooler) there?

Can you sand down the rim over the rolltop without destroying its function?
It looks like you need to take about 3/8 of an inch off the box from the photos.

I might think hard about Industrial Velcro on the bottom of the box to hold it in a vertical orientation during travel, and the same thing with the stove.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:47 pm

Laredo,
Well, we had given some thought to sanding down the little box, but it still won't give it quite enough room. Close but no cigar.

Chip,
The stove would probably fit somewhere underneath if I took out my slideout table and cutting board.... but I hate to do away with those too.

The stove isn't too bad... I don't mind closing it up and tipping it up on it's side before bedtime each night and for traveling... but the box won't fit no matter which way we try. This is all not a huge problem... but one of of those things you know "just ain't right" and it bugs me!

So... I guess it's either leave it the way it is or start cutting into the bulkhead. Course the biggest problem is getting Bob anywhere near working on the thing again. (and me with a saw is a very scary picture) :shock:

We have NO second teardrop builders at my house... we barely got through the first one!

(Just another saga in our "what NOT to do when you build a teardrop)
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:26 pm

Hey Bev,
I would figure out a way to either pivot the stove up against the bulkhead or make a snap-in hplder for it against the bulkhead, to keep it stationary during transit.
As for the breadbox, I would cut it down, or build a smaller one.

breadbox

Postby Laredo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:46 pm

well ... i still don't think i'd haul out the sawzall. you know your style and everything but does the breadbox really have to be that big? I mean, like, does it hold an espresso machine and cups plus all your chow gear?

'cause just image-googling i found a bunch of different ones in different sizes ....

and since i'm a miterbox and handsaw tooluser :lol: i think i might try building a smaller breadbox too ...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby beverlyt » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:07 pm

Well, Ok... fine...
I GUESS I can live with a smaller breadbox...

but... I really like this one. :cry:

I'll look around for something that will fit. Sure would be easier than cutting the wall out. Maybe a roll-top bread box that is about as skinny and the length of a loave of bread. That's about the only size of anything that'll work. Uggh..

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby catrinka » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:17 pm

Hi Bev

Do you have Ikea stores down there? I bought a breadbox for my home that is looks like a roll top but actually flips up, but the top is rounded more than yours and would probably fit in your hatch.
catrinka
500 Club

breadbox

Postby Laredo » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:15 pm

is it square, or is it even longer on the side that runs along the counter?
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:15 am

Could you build something like that into the tear? like shelves and stuff all to that one side just for your stuff and the rest of the space be for prep and cooking?
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:43 pm

Hey Bev,

Did you start cutting yet? You said you were going to do it right, that Bob isn't going anywhere near the teardrop for a while???

What kind of a saw are you planning on using? A sawz-all? Do you have any idea what kind of damage a sawzall can do? :cry:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:37 pm

Saws All is used as a DEMOLITION tool, not a I am going to remodel tool, use a jig saw or router at least and a good drill that is NOT battery powered. You will keep running back and forth for swiching your batteries.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion