Ok now Im really confused

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Ok now Im really confused

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:23 pm

I have been all over this site and I have know idea what to do, every design I look at I fall in love with. I love the WEEKENDER design then I find Shrugs "door is a jar" design I am now torn in every direction. Which on should I make. Le t me ask you this, would it make sense if I jsut went to a palce (home depot) got a utility trailer 5'10 and jsut started building? Or is that too damn risky. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby JamesW » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:27 pm

Too risky! I was going to build a Cubby, then I saw the Benroy and now I saw the "door is ajar". I have decided on the door is ajar. Mine is going on a 4 x 8 trailer and the side will not lift up. I think it is best to decide on a design first. Otherwise it can get VERY expensive. Imagine building a house with no blueprints or design decision.
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:29 pm

Why did you pick the door is ajar?????? Just curious. And where are you getting the plans?
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby JamesW » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:32 pm

I like the angular shape and the raised bed allowing for a table. I am jut using the two pictures that are posted. In the picture, the each square on the graph paper represents an inch. I transposed that grid on the 5 x 10 sheets of plywood.
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:49 pm

Hey There PhillyMan,
(Is it Bob?)
Congatulations!!! Looks like you've been officially bit bigtime by the teardrop bug!
I would reccomend this:
Start doing your design, keeping everything that you want in this project in mind. Draw a design from start to finish. Study it a while, then start the refining process. (My daughter looked at my first design, the asked me why I was going to build a school bus)
Hmmm... I guess it was a bit too long. I sorta took to the Benroy style at first, but I had these 18' kayaks and 17 1/2' canoes in mind that I wanted to haul. I didn't want these handmade crafts sticking out in traffic behind me so, I made the trailer accordingly. Well my 10 year old daughter brought me into focus with that comment. I needed to make a concession. So, I redrew it shorter the second time, giving into having the boats stick out in traffic. (That's what I have insurrance for, Right?) OK, my next attempt looked a little better, but still looked a little "funny", so I drew it even a bit shorter again. The third one looked acceptable, so I started taking precise measurments of everything. Guess what? I had to lengthen it back up just a bit and that was even conceeding on leaving out a few items that I wanted.
With all that drawing going on, I sorta just got into playing around with all kinds of different designs and I'm still at that point. I'm really enjoying doing these designs right now.
So my advice to you is to slow down and enjoy this process. Keep drawing your design over and over until you know it intimately inside your mind. Once you reach that point, then it will be time to start building.
These are just my thoughts and my experience from being bitten by the bug. They work for me.
BTW that first design was going to be a dual axle. :D

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:12 am

Finde the body the body style you like and make your own plans, just make shure you know what to build and expect first. bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Re: Ok now Im really confused

Postby mikeschn » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:31 pm

TAILGATINGnNUT wrote:I have been all over this site and I have know idea what to do, every design I look at I fall in love with. I love the WEEKENDER design then I find Shrugs "door is a jar" design I am now torn in every direction.

Everything new is like that! Once you calm down a bit one of the designs will stand out above all the other ones. That'll be the one you build. Until then just keep looking, dreaming, planning, and seeing in your mind's eye how you are going to use it. It'll all come together!

Have you seen a teardrop up close yet? If not, that's your first order of business!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:55 pm

one thing is for sure,,what ever you visualize and design WILL change in scope and complexiy thru out the project,,,what I started out to build and what I have come up with are similar but more different than original plans,,,it will change but that is good also,,on your first there are so many things that are not completely considered its hard to fully finalize your plans before starting to build,,if ya can get close to size and shape of your tear then ya got a good start,,as pieces start to come together you will work thru each thing and go to the next,,,just try to think about 2 steps ahead of yourself,,and ask questions,,and to paraphrase Deans take,,design a lot, change a bit,,design some more and then start,,

good luck and take pics

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tdthinker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:33 pm

Chip is right, I havent even started yet and when I thought I finaly got my designs finished I changed only a million more things on it. It will truely come to you, prob. in the middle of the night! Bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to General Discussion