bears in camp......

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: bears in camp......

Postby capnTelescope » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:44 am

This is the thread I was looking for. I only went through 23 pages of "bear" search results to find it. This is an entertaining thread that deserves a bump.

:question: Which brings up a question: Other than Tony Latham's paw prints that might have been from a bear that stepped in white paint, any other bear stories to relate?

Also, I'm planning a road trip through bear country this summer. Up through northern Canada to Alaska.

I haven't spent any appreciable time in bear country, so there might be a story or 2 to relate when I get out of the hospital from the bear mauling every greenhorn is sure they're going to get. :frightened: It'll be okay as long as I don't end up as bear poop. Ewwww! :yuck:

I think I'm somewhat prepared. I just want to make myself as obnoxious to nearby bears as possible, without annoying the neighbors. I know I can do it with people, why not for bears, too? :D Got the bear bell. Gonna get the spray. Gonna bring the Large Firearm. I just discovered that portable electric fences exist. The people selling them think they're great for bear country. :NC Are these worth the time, effort and money? What else do I need?
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby alaska teardrop » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:21 am

Also, I'm planning a road trip through bear country this summer. Up through northern Canada to Alaska.

Gonna get the spray. Gonna bring the Large Firearm.

Captain, You may not be allowed to bring certain sprays or a firearm into Canada. Research here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

If you feel the need of a firearm while in Alaska you can ship it from your licensed gun dealer to a dealer in Alaska for pick up. Reverse to get it home.

Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks, Slow, for the hearty endorsement of bear spray. Sounds like the electric fence is just going to annoy a grizzly to the point where I'm bear flop. You just saved me a couple hunnert bucks.

Something that sends coons to meet their maker would be useful here in Texas. I was in one of our state parks when a coon started coming around. I stomped my foot a couple of times and he'd go away but kept coming back. Then I'm cooking dinner and feel a little tickle on the back of my leg. I'm thinking "that's not right," look down and there's that coon just waddling off like "Up yours, camper." The park rangers probably wouldn't take kindly to zapped dead coons.

I owe you a beer if we ever meet up. Think Walk the Winds 2018. :beer:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby desertmoose » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Image[/URL]

Last summer we were at a semi-improved campground, no fees yet, but they did have bear boxes.
We put dry food and dishes in the bear box, but left the Engle fridge plugged in in the back of the truck. I put a "critter detector" (Harbor Freight driveway alarm) aimed between the tear and the truck tailgate.

Around 1:00 am, the detector went off. By the time we got sat up and looked out, nothing was visible.

The game cam did catch a picture of Yogi checking out the reflector strip on the (removed) bumper laying under the tear. It was reflecting the flash from the game camera. The subsequent pictures showed him moving around the tear on Kats side just before he set off the detector.

Apparently when the tootle of the critter detector went off, Yogi wasn't willing to stay around and pose for us to see him.
Last edited by desertmoose on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:37 pm

slowcowboy wrote:can you shop by a gun dealer a can of spray too?

I don't know. I'll be glad to go to a gun store and find out. :D

Desertmoose, I like your idea. but I'm coming out the door spraying! :thumbsup:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:52 pm

I just discovered that portable electric fences exist. The people selling them think they're great for bear country. :NC Are these worth the time, effort and money? What else do I need?

Bro:

Get a can of spray and hide it in the woods before you enter Canada so you can grab it on the way home. Forget about that fence. You'll be lucky if you see a bear.

But if you see a sign that says, Margo Creek, turn around.

That's from a trip we did in 2011. I wish that creek were closer.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:57 pm

[quote="capnTelescope"]This is the thread I was looking for. I only went through 23 pages of "bear" search results to find it. This is an entertaining thread that deserves a bump.
:question: Which brings up a question: Other than Tony Latham's paw prints that might have been from a bear that stepped in white paint, any other bear stories to relate?

You may want to check what Canada allows. On the border crossing show. Pepper spray was not allowed and fire arms was a no no.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JohnnyG » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:42 pm

Last August my wife and I drove into Canada from Minnesota for some backpacking in Pukaskwa National Park. Customs agent knew we were going backpacking, asked if we had any weapons. I told him my wife is carrying bear spray. Showed no concern... let us through!
JohnnyG
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:07 am

KennethW wrote:You may want to check what Canada allows. On the border crossing show. Pepper spray was not allowed and fire arms was a no no.

According to Canada's website, shotguns and *hunting* (my term, not theirs) rifles are allowed, but must be declared at the border. The declaration form has "Protection against wildlife" as one check-off reason for having it. Maybe that is an automatic reason for refusal. Does anyone know for sure? Leave the short-barreled handguns and AR15s at home. Carrying a firearm while afoot in the wild is prima facie evidence of hunting in most states. Canada is likely the same. Get a hunting license or leave it in camp.

tony.latham wrote:Get a can of spray and hide it in the woods before you enter Canada so you can grab it on the way home.

According to Frontiersman's bear spray website, their product is available in Canada. OK to take across the border? Dunno. I'll just buy it there.

Anyone got the straight story on those two items?

tony.latham wrote:Forget about that fence.

Done.

tony.latham wrote:You'll be lucky if you see a bear...

... from a distance.

tony.latham wrote:But if you see a sign that says, Margo Creek, turn around.

But there's all that nice fresh salmon swimming by. :cry:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:25 pm

KennethW wrote:
capnTelescope wrote:This is the thread I was looking for. I only went through 23 pages of "bear" search results to find it. This is an entertaining thread that deserves a bump.

You may want to check what Canada allows. On the border crossing show. Pepper spray was not allowed and fire arms was a no no.

See my "my bear in camp" story at page 1 of this thread.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:56 pm

My plan is to go up the west coast , cross into Canada and continue up to Alaska and then back down to see idaho, Yellowstone and south to see some other parks. after talking to Canada border people they said Bear spray is ok. They dont like the kind ment for man. and I asked Yellowstone about bear electric fence, the aren't needed but they reccomented the horn and Bear Spray and always, always use the bear boxes for personal hair stuff, soaps, bath soaps, dish soaps brillo, used soapy dishrags, deoderant, cologns shaving creams toothpaste and toothbrushes and any other smelly stuff in the boxes, The man also said that it would be best to shower in the morning. He loved the idea of the fence, at night. but strongly said I have to use warning signs. Use the bear boxes for all your food also.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:57 pm

and I asked Yellowstone about bear electric fence, the aren't needed

Yeah, but in Jellystone, there's more to worry about than bears...

:shock: :oops: :NC

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:52 pm

capnTelescope-I encourage my wife to carry pepper spray with her at all times, since she travels a lot, while I babysit our eight dogs. I would prefer for her to carry a handgun, at least while in Texas, but she refuses. I then told her to get bear spray, which is stronger than regular pepper spray, but she said it was illegal in Texas. She had looked up the Texas laws, which define the concentration % of Oleoresin Capsicum, the main ingredient. Most pepper sprays include 10% or less of an ingredient called Oleoresin Capsicum (OC), but it is also possible to find animal sprays that contains 15% of this high powered chemical. These sprays will take down any creature, and are ideal to carry with you when you venture into the Texas wilderness. Every can must have a label that indicates it is for protection against wild animals only, and it is illegal to use this type of spray on another person. So, you might have to buy bear spray out-of-state (I don't recall ever seeing it here). I just use more lethal means to ward off dangerous critters, here (mostly cottonmouths and copperheads), but sometimes ornery neighbors, too; bear spray would tempt me too much, if my travels were interrupted by social justice warriors blocking the road (again). :twisted:
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:24 am

lrrowe wrote:See my "my bear in camp" story at page 1 of this thread.

Hi, Bob! Saw it, read it again, enjoyed it and learned from it. :thumbsup:

Mary C wrote:My plan is to go up the west coast ...

Good info, Great plan! You going this year? I have to be in Wisconsin mid-June, then north. I'll be coming back on the Alaska Marine Highway from Skagway to Bellingham, WA. Then find my way back to TX with a pause for the eclipse and other sights along the way.

working on it wrote:I then told her to get bear spray, which is stronger than regular pepper spray, but she said it was illegal in Texas.

Fortunately, we don't seem to have bears in TX. Just wild boars. :frightened:

working on it wrote:bear spray would tempt me too much, if my travels were interrupted by social justice warriors blocking the road (again).

"But officer, :cry: I thought they were a herd of bears." :lol:

Brad
ImageImageImage

capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby razorback » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:36 pm

I fish Kodiak often. We fly to a remote lake and then float a river to the ocean for 7 to 10 days. We have used electric fences and they have worked so far. Look at electric fence videos where they test whether a bear will enter a baited site. They never did. All the game and fish guys on Kodiak recommend bear spray. I took a gun the first trip but only take bear spray now. We have had bears as close as 25 feet. So far have never had to use the spray.
This video is of my brother with a bear wanting a fish mistakenly left by a rookie on shore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhFGW0YYLIc
I would not go to these areas if the salmon were not running. The most sightings we had in a 7 day period was 94.
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion