squaredrop vs traditional teardrop

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: squaredrop vs traditional teardrop

Postby FredSB » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:07 am

Is there a specific place to talk about squaredrops on the fourm. It seems like my first attempt at a build will be this style
I love the teardrops but I found a project square I might save. If it look good enough. Checking it out this weekend
FredSB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby JuneBug » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Runaway Campers (http://www.runawaycampers.com/) feature a squaredrop design with a very slight curve in the roof.

In the Hall of Fame, Little Tow, Retro Ranger, Andrew's Renegade, Northen Lite Trailer are all square drops; some have a little curviness, other are all square.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby FredSB » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:35 pm

lacofdfireman wrote:My build isn't a teardrop and according to the photos I see it's not a squares rip either. Great now my trailer has identity issues.

I still have a lot of work to do but hopefully it will be done in about 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like your set up! Mine will be similar to it

FredSB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bent bike guy » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:15 pm

am presently building my first teardrop on a 4 x 8 HF trailer that I added "wings" or extensions on the sides so I ended up with a 5 x 8 teardrop with under floor storage.
Making the bends for a traditional teardrop is really not difficult but IMO go with 1/2-3/4" inch sides. I went with 1/8" sides w/ 2 x 2 framing. Would do it differently if I ever build another one.
1/2" ply with 1 x 3's then 1" insulation. Better yet HD has some 3/4" pine plywood for $29 per sheet. Really nice stuff.
Am getting ready to cover my trailer w/ Dacron fabric glued w/ TB2 glue. Living in Washington state we get lots of rain.
Am hoping to get this trailer ready for first outing 1 weekend after Labor Day. Still sanding body filler and prepping for fabric covering. Waiting for early evening after dinner as the weather is HOT and don't want the glue to dry too fast.
Bent bike guy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tomterrific » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:41 pm

IMG_20151014_111324.jpg
Curtain around hatch for privacy.
IMG_20151014_111324.jpg (260.44 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
IMG_20160524_101033.jpg
Stand under hatch.
IMG_20160524_101033.jpg (195.37 KiB) Viewed 1646 times

I wanted a small camper for a good nights sleep but we needed a small cargo trailer for the kids moving and my old motorcycles. The standup space under the hatch turned out to be a wonderful plus.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby bbrider » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:34 pm

Squaredrop is a new name for me, I have been saying caravan style for my trailer I am building now. I like Squaredrop...LOL. I started building my trailer frame on the Aug. 9 and finished the paint today. Plan to start the box next week with solid 3/4" walls and roof. 1/2" floor with a 2x2 border for attaching the walls to. I will add another layer of 1/2" over the 2x2 framing just in the bed area to give the bed a slight lift. No galley and the door and ac unit will be in the back with one window each side. Here is the drawing I did. My walls will be 4', but the walls will sit on the floor and the roof will sit on top of the walls making the inside 4' at the door area. I decided to switch the door and the AC around so I could put the shore power plug and small cabinet in the corner on the drivers side instead of the passenger side.....after I made this drawing.

Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby Mushin » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:10 pm

Tows great, 5 wide 5 tall 8 long.
The square back makes for a nice cover while cooking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mushin
Teardrop Master

Postby Graniterich » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:17 pm

I really question that curves are more difficult. Less pieces on roof ,less leaks. Wood and other material bend nicely
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:34 pm

Graniterich wrote:I really question that curves are more difficult. Less pieces on roof ,less leaks. Wood and other material bend nicely

I am with you. At first I thought the curved roof would be hard to do But after building a couple teardrops I really think the curved roof is easier. The trick is ratchet straps to pull the roof down when gluing and screwing..
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:59 am

KennethW wrote:
Graniterich wrote:I really question that curves are more difficult. Less pieces on roof ,less leaks. Wood and other material bend nicely

I am with you. At first I thought the curved roof would be hard to do But after building a couple teardrops I really think the curved roof is easier. The trick is ratchet straps to pull the roof down when gluing and screwing..

Took the words right out of my mouth. 1/8" baltic birch wants to bend. Personally, I think building an angular teardrop would be more challenging than the three traditional 'drops I've built. Certainly if one was sheathing with aluminum.

Building a teardrop shaped 'drop is relatively straight forward with a template and a jigsaw.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bbrider » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:33 pm

why you build so many Tony? I don't plan on building but the one I am currently building. One and done.
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:56 pm

bbrider wrote:why you build so many Tony? I don't plan on building but the one I am currently building. One and done.

On #2 I felt sorry for my little sis. They were about to close the deal on a 4x8 that was well above 10G, so I said, "look, you guys weld up the chassis, I'll build the cabin if you pay for the materials."

#3? My wife's son was getting married last year. She came to me and said, "Why don't you build them a teardrop for their wedding?" I rolled my eyes and replied, "let's just get them a toaster." It's now called the Toaster.

I swear, no more. :oops:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KBTerra » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:02 pm

Liking your build Fred as mine looks just like yours except for the bottom rear. I hope to be able to finish mine soon but still seems so far away. Cheers!

FredSB wrote:
lacofdfireman wrote:My build isn't a teardrop and according to the photos I see it's not a squares rip either. Great now my trailer has identity issues.

I still have a lot of work to do but hopefully it will be done in about 3 weeks.

I really like your set up! Mine will be similar to it

KBTerra
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Chuckles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:51 pm

square standy?

The square shape does maximize galley space!

After building one I agree that the curved roof is probably easier. Fewer corners... especially compared to the clipped corners on mine.
Chuckles
Teardrop Master

Postby FredSB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:30 am

tony.latham wrote:
bbrider wrote:why you build so many Tony? I don't plan on building but the one I am currently building. One and done.

On #2 I felt sorry for my little sis. They were about to close the deal on a 4x8 that was well above 10G, so I said, "look, you guys weld up the chassis, I'll build the cabin if you pay for the materials."

#3? My wife's son was getting married last year. She came to me and said, "Why don't you build them a teardrop for their wedding?" I rolled my eyes and replied, "let's just get them a toaster." It's now called the Toaster.

I swear, no more. :oops:

Tony

That's awesome lol

FredSB
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion