Remembering the blackout

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Remembering the blackout

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:06 am

Remember the black out we had last August?
Some 50 million people were without electricity in at least 8 states...

Were you caught in the dark? What have you done to prepare? Does your teardrop have anything to do with getting prepared? How many days can you exist without electricity in your state, if it happens again?

Just wondering...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:51 am

In our new house we are having the main electrical box wired up to a Guardian Standby Generator. If the power goes off, the gennie will kick on. It added over $3000.00 to the price of the house, but it is worth it. A few hours without AC here and you would be in bad shape. For example it is expected to hit 110 here today.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:06 am

With the Baja Benroy we can cook, and we have light. If we had a power failure in the winter time we have heat in the Baja Benroy too!

But we are not prepared for Arizona heat... good thing it doesn't typically get that hot in Michigan!!! :shock:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby tdthinker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:13 am

It effected half are town but not out where I live. If it ever did happen I would go to my grandparents house a quarter a mile down the road where there is a generator in the basement that can run the holl house. There is plenty of canned food in the cubbereds and basement root celler so I am fine here.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Re: Remembering the blackout

Postby Larwyn » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:13 am

mikeschn wrote:Remember the black out we had last August?

How many days can you exist without electricity in your state, if it happens again?

Just wondering...

Mike...

Currently living in my 5th wheel trailer. With the generator air conditionier and charging the battery, I recon I could last as long gasoline and propane are available.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby asianflava » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:04 pm

I didn't get hit with the big blackout but, when I was living in North Carolina we had a hurricane come in. I was out of power for 10 days. At first it was no big deal, after a while the heat and humidity got to me so I stayed at my girlfriend's. She only lost power the night of the storm. I put a battery powered aereator on my fish tank and left it. All the fish and coral survived.

We also had backup generators (propane powered) at work. People would go there and get ice and take showers.

As far as prep, it will probably the same as hurricane season in FL. Get water, buy batteries, and break out the camping stuff.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby beverlyt » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:27 pm

When we were hit by a bad storm about 5 years ago, we were without electricity for 1 week.

We had a built-in propane stove in the old trailer out back...but had to climb over several downed oak trees to get to it.

We now have a big Coleman generator to kick into service if we need electricity. We have a stove out in the teardrop we can bring in the house. For water we have both a well and "city" water.

For heat, we have a large ventless fireplace in the living room...will heat most of the house if need be.

In hot weather, we have lots of fans....some 12 volt.
And of course assorted camping gear... Coleman shower, porta-potti... lanterns... as long at the fuels are available!

I think we could get by pretty good for awhile...and probably truly appreciate what gear we have!

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:03 pm

Are town gerts hit every year, it looks like your pics.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Larry Messaros » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:33 pm

beverlyt wrote:
In hot weather, we have lots of fans....some 12 volt.

Bev

Hey Bev, it looks like you really don't have to worry about the fans! :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Return to General Discussion