Rerun version 2

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Rerun version 2

Postby Sidekick » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Took a walk through the snatch and grab yard this morning and found a number of donors for the new project. I have a conversion van topper, a 3 burner stove out of a Jay Co trailer that caught fire, a stainless sink, cabinet doors, 6 windows of various sizes, an entry door from a 5th wheel that rolled, and a 32 inch lat screen tv with mounting hard ware 120.00 in this haul This time I will not shorten the conversion fiberglass topper but lengthen the trailer to fit the top. Using FRP kept me nice and dry on the last build. Wife wants to get involved with this build and add her ideas and tastes. Sounded goood to me. Anytime I can spend quality time with the spousal unit without getting hit is good.
" Chances are- if you don't know where you are going, you will never get there"
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Re: Rerun version 2

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:04 am

“ The Fine Art of Salvage !!!” :thumbsup: 8) :D :applause: :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sidekick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:33 am

I like to think out of the box. Have a ton of led stuff to use up and some knock down kitchen ideas to incorporate on this build. I don't have a frame yet, been toying with a low profile snow mobile trailer mod. any ideas?
Anybody used a snowmobile trailer for their base?
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:37 am

There are a couple of side by side trailers rusting away at the swap meet- both look to be the same build, maybe I can make a tandem axle rig?
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:46 am

You might try and see if you can find an old ratted out popup. I think those frames are great for a ambitious build. They are not the lightest but they are robust and well engineered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is one I borrowed from someone on here of their StarCraft frame being repurposed.......

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Sidekick » Wed May 03, 2017 8:57 pm

the trailer top is 60 inches wide and most of the pop ups I have seen are a bit wider than that
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Wed May 03, 2017 8:59 pm

bought an axle that is almost dead on to what I need from sleezbay for 115- 2 ton tail lights for 16. dot led bar lights now to find a finished prehung door with screen and window
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Wed May 03, 2017 9:12 pm

on a 5x12 frame how far back should I mount the axle or axles should I decide to do tandem
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Wed May 03, 2017 9:15 pm

122969I hated working with frp due to the adhesive, but after 2 years the skin has held up and the paint looks awesome still
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Well, my stack of parts to begin building has gotten to the "do it, or don't" point. This will be my second attempt at perfection.

My other trailer sits in my side yard when not in use and many people stop to check it out. I was gone for a few months for a side trip to the Philippines and someone broke into it and stole my stereo and TV. Most asked question- "is it a pop top?"
My generic answer is this- there are 3 types of camping. 1. back packs, tents, and sleeping bags
2. A nice enclosed shelter with comfy bed and a place to store your stuff.
3. Taking a motor home with a shower, shitter, kitchen and a walk around area that resembles your home. To me..... that is not camping. But, I understand some women (and men) do not like to rough anything, they want all the comforts of home. I grew up in an old hunting cabin 20x20 with a hand pump and outdoor john. I do not mind the simpler life. But being 67 I enjoy a nice comfortable bed instead of cold ground. I have opted for a slide out galley from either side with a wrap around counter and cooking area.ala Boy scout gally/chuck box ( folds down into a compact package that can be carried to a remote spot and is self supporting)
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:21 pm

picked up 2 hatches from a rolled motorhome that measure 22x34 that I will use on either side of the trailer to allow for either side set up. The track for the box cabinet is trex and caster to allow easy slide in and out
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:57 am

gonna sell ReRun 1 to fund ReRun 2- cannot justify all of my toys to the wife
he he
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 am

Bigt score today, I found an old pop up trailer that was stripped and cleaned. The owner gave up on his project and offered the trailer to me for 200. it has a sturdy tongue, leveling corner brackets, . new bearings and sealsn, tires are like brand new, and it has been sanded and painted. WOOO HOOO!
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:33 pm

Got a possible lead on a water tank for the rerun 20 gal with filling and drain fittings 30.00 . Also bought a 12v pump for water and a removable shower station for 15.
Now, I just have to jump into this thing or put it on hold for another year. Tested the furnace and it runs like a champ. Wonder what this is going to weigh when I am done?
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Postby Sidekick » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:42 pm

Rerun number one was done with a conversion van topper shortened 18 inches to make it easier ( it wasn't) but this time I am going with a full length top. The front and back edge tapers may give me a challenge to shape the wall tops to fit and seal, but it is doable. I got a 20 gallon water storage tank and am placing it above the axle with the furnace and battery near by. the rear end will all be storage for the slide out kitchen and camping supplies. The local auto yard has a number of campers that have rolled to swipe hatches from and bits and pieces to keep the costs down. Going for 2x2 walls with 1 inch foam insulation caulked in and wiring run across the top of the walls to make access easy and alterable. Have a 30 ft roll of Led lights for a cove illumination. The TV now has a support to tuck it up and out of the way going down the road.
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion