Quiet Day

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Quiet Day

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:41 pm

Sure is a quiet day out there today. What is it, are we all out in the garage building teardrops?

Here's it's raining, not sure I'll get outside to play on the Weekender. :-(

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:05 pm

Mike,,some of us are suppose to actually be working :lol: I been keeping T@bs on ya anyway,,,storms are a heading this way and would be a great test if I was finished,,got fenders today and getting them ready for paint,,cant wait to finish,,,,,,,,#2 ?????whatsitgonnabe,, whatsitgonnabe??

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:06 pm

Sounds like a good day to run down to your local welding supply store and take a look at that Millermatic wire feed.

Postby JamesW » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:09 pm

Now that my sides are up I am contemplating what to use on the joint between the sides and the roof.

Mike,
What did you use on the Baja?
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:19 pm

The joint between the sides and the roof??? You mean the glue joint. I used glue!!! :lol: All kidding aside, you mean how the spars are fastened? Like in this picture?

I use gorilla glue... you can see the bottle towards the lower right of the photo... and 1 galvanized screw in each end...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby JamesW » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:22 pm

When you lay the roof skin on top of the spars how do you keep water out of the seam between the roof skin and the side wall?
JamesW
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:28 pm

I glue the skin right to the top edge of the wall. It happens to be flush with the spars. Imagine that!!! :shock:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:29 pm

mikeschn wrote:I use gorilla glue... you can see the bottle towards the lower right of the photo... and 1 galvanized screw in each end...

Mike...

Remember never use gorilla glue while not wearing a shirt!!

Seriously, I have been busy working on a new CD today. I have collected many 50 year old plans from ebay. Some of the CD's have the same scans, some should not be sold. Many are yellowed with age and would waste a heck of a lot of ink to print.

I am taking all the best ones, making them a nice uniform prinatble size, cleaning them up and giving them bright white backgrounds, etc.

I am also scanning in that 1937 book called "How to Build Trailers"
Lots of great info there from trailers not seen elsewhere to a full barge the you can drive your trailer right on to and turn it in to a houseboat!

The book is also yellowed and grimy so I am cleaning up that too (132 pages worth!)

I will assemble everything on to one killer CD and probably charge like ten bucks a piece, just to cover my costs.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby RC » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:43 pm

SHHHHH....I am still at work. It has been over 105 degrees here for a few days. Really getting hot, it was 109 when I went home yesterday at 4:30 pm. Not a real good environment to be working in right now, that'a for sure. :shock:
It worked until I fixed it!!!
RC
Teardrop Master

Postby mexican tear » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:11 pm

Sign me up for one of the CD's
kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:19 pm

Are you going to donate some CD's to the board for prizes? :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Larry Messaros » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:29 pm

It sounds like it's hot up and down the West Coast judging from RC's temps. It's the same up here in the BC Interior.

As for working, I came from a rainy environment so give me heat any day! and I spent most of the day working outside. Nope, I don't miss the rain. :D

It sounds like everyone in the east should pack up and head west for some of this sunshine. 8)
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shrug53 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:42 pm

I suppose I could donate a CD or two.
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby robert » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:12 pm

Quite day :?: after 8 days straight at work. I have four days off in a row :shock: i wanted to put the bottom on the boat and take it over to my sister-in-law's pool to see if it's floats so i can get started on the weekender but i have ran in to so trouble RAIN every day i'm off Ihave a small shop 10x16 you can't spit in, So i work outside under a tarp can't glue and glass in the #@#@#@ rain and then there is a dead opossum in the pool nobody wants to crawl in after. So i guess i will have 4 quite days .
Robert
p.s. post alot to keep me from being along with myself i may start thinking about building something and get in trouble :wink:
robert
Teardrop Builder

Postby Chip » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:33 pm

Put the boat outside and drag the tear inside and keep on working,,,tha possum?????if it aint bothering you then why bother it,,,,priorities have to be set,,tear or dead possum??? hmmmmwhat ya'll think

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion